Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
My family doesn't want me getting any coins until the scare is past. boxes are probably ok because the virus should be dead due to the time turn around.
buying bags off the counter or CWR's you don't know who dumped the coins and I have read that the virus can last 3-7 days on surfaces so "do you feel lucky"
I wonder if it is worth it for a few silver times or halves. AT THE SAME TIME people as they get desperate for money for food when they are not allowed to work my start dumping good stuff!!!

I was thinking you could get the bag and spray the outside of it and then let it sit a couple weeks before opening...

what are people thinking?

Upvote 0

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wouldn't be surprised if banks close all but the drive thru window (if not completely) for a bit anyway, alleviating your dilemma. Hard to get a bag in that little chute ;)

FWIW, after a grocery and supply run today, I'm pretty much going to stay home. I am 49 and in good health. I'm not overly concerned about catching COVID-19. I'm even less concerned that it would be a major ordeal should I happen to catch it. However, I kinda look after my 94 year old grandmother who also is in very good health. I have lunch with her almost every day. It would likely be a very major, and possibly fatal ordeal for her. The difficult thing about this virus is that people are very contagious well before they show any symptoms. So, to keep Granny as safe as I can, I'm going to practice as much "social distancing" as I can.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, but you have to go into a bank to get them and who knows who was there before you. I'm waiting few weeks.

Johnny5

Feb 19, 2011
Detector(s) used
Minelabs CTX 3030, Excalibur and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was going to my pick up bank today, and my wife convinced me not to go. So of corse I gave in as I didn't want the ramifications later. I'm 70 , and they'll be better weeks ahead to CRH.

OP
OP
Ben Cartwright SASS

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
I had a stroke and am on blood thinners, also high blood pressure and more so I am laying low

tokameel

May 20, 2012
Mequon, Wi
Detector(s) used
In 1974- White.
Now a Garrett Ace 250.
8/30/12 using a Zircon m40 Stud Finder as a hand held pin pointer.
Primary Interest:
Other
I had a stroke and am on blood thinners, also high blood pressure and more so I am laying low

Be well, Ben. Ferengi Rules of Acquisition # ? "You can't spend your profits if you are dead."

FormerTeller

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Realistically, if you’re in good health, you’re ok even bag searching, though I’d wear gloves and be sure not to touch my face. Might wear goggles/glasses and mask if you’re really concerned, but that’s extreme in my opinion. Same for spraying the bag. Wouldn’t have to wait weeks, as COVID 19 only lives 3-4 days in the best environment.

That said, I agree with ArkieBassMan’s logic. If you’re living with or caring for someone with compromised immune system (think cancer survivor) or who is elderly, it’s best not to take a chance.

OP
OP
Ben Cartwright SASS

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
Realistically, if you’re in good health, you’re ok even bag searching, though I’d wear gloves and be sure not to touch my face. Might wear goggles/glasses and mask if you’re really concerned, but that’s extreme in my opinion. Same for spraying the bag. Wouldn’t have to wait weeks, as COVID 19 only lives 3-4 days in the best environment.

That said, I agree with ArkieBassMan’s logic. If you’re living with or caring for someone with compromised immune system (think cancer survivor) or who is elderly, it’s best not to take a chance.

Unfortunately that describes me, cancer survivor, stroke survivor on blood thinners, high blood pressure, elderly... ALSO most banks around here are only open for the drive up window, they don't like to put 25 pound boxes of halves in them!

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm as concerned about my sweet tellers as I am about myself. I have no idea and neither does anyone else, if I could be asymptomatic and infectious. In my own case, my son is a first responder - fireman/EMT who treats sick and injured people and transports them every shift, as well as getting up close and personal with the Narcan. He has worked with four guys on his shift who tested positive. Of course, I have contact with him. His wife is also in medicine and sees/treats sick folks every day. So while I feel fine, I'm taking a break from CRHing "just in case". I'm 65 and in good health but the age alone is higher risk. BTW, although my son worked with the four positives on his shift, he has not been tested because he shows no symptoms. That priority testing is a result of insufficient tests, not public health sense.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ben Cartwright SASS

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
My late son was an EMT and would have also been on the front lines.

check out more of them at www.jeffpadellphotography.com

During this crisis I have increased my bird photography

Sa1eyPWl.jpg

YcGVoDAl.jpg

9wz7a0hl.jpg

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wouldn't be surprised if banks close all but the drive thru window (if not completely) for a bit anyway, alleviating your dilemma. Hard to get a bag in that little chute ;)

FWIW, after a grocery and supply run today, I'm pretty much going to stay home. I am 49 and in good health. I'm not overly concerned about catching COVID-19. I'm even less concerned that it would be a major ordeal should I happen to catch it. However, I kinda look after my 94 year old grandmother who also is in very good health. I have lunch with her almost every day. It would likely be a very major, and possibly fatal ordeal for her. The difficult thing about this virus is that people are very contagious well before they show any symptoms. So, to keep Granny as safe as I can, I'm going to practice as much "social distancing" as I can.

I've read the emails from my banks and credit unions that encourage online or digital banking. I also would not be surprised if the offices close to foot traffic at least. So far, they are about the last businesses that have not (yet) changed their hours or open status.

I totally agree about the risk of contagion before becoming symptomatic. My father is 90 and diabetic and i doubt he could survive this.

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ben, those pics are beautiful!

I'm slowly going through those albums. Thanks for posting the link. I have copied it to enjoy outside of tnet just in case I get banned again.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ben Cartwright SASS

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
Ben, those pics are beautiful!

I'm slowly going through those albums. Thanks for posting the link. I have copied it to enjoy outside of tnet just in case I get banned again.

Thank you very much! I have been doing photography since I was about 10 years old and spent 4 years as a US Navy Photographer

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you very much! I have been doing photography since I was about 10 years old and spent 4 years as a US Navy Photographer

My first camera, a Leica M-3, was given to me by a family friend who worked in an intel capacity. There was still film in it, so naturally I processed it. I showed him the pics and he was stunned to see pics of WWII Japanese ships and troops in the Aleutians.

GlenDronach

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Social distancing is key.

I'll be winding up my pickups/dumps. At each bank I go to I tell them I'll call ahead to see what they want me to do.

I don't see CRHing going on past this week or next week.

Zomotion

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2013
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, coinmaster Gt Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Us coin roll hunters need to take a break for a while and start metal detecting a bit more... Kinda like metal detectorists start coin roll hunting in the winter when the ground is frozen. Social distancing at its finest

I could honestly use the peace and quiet

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My last pickup will be tomorrow - and only then to tell my dear sweet tellers that any fear is not for me, but for them. I don't want to unwittingly infect them and we all can be infectious while showing no symptoms.

By now, after what I consider to be criminal inaction and delays by an administration that desires "low numbers" in an election year, we have all been exposed. Because there is really no testing, we have no idea if we may infect others.

Rosco53

Mar 17, 2018
Bryant, WI
Detector(s) used
Tracker IV (hobby lobby 40% off ;-) )
Primary Interest:
Other
My bank was nice enough to call me to let me know the lobby was closing so no more coin for the foreseeable future. Sadly work prevented me fro dumping or getting some for the break. Guess I'll have to sort through my finds and put them in flips now.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread