Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The country will be closed by the end of the week.

FormerTeller

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
My dump bank just announced they’re closing their lobby tomorrow. Might be able to hit my pick up back if it’s still open Thursday, but that’ll be it for a while.

blueberra

Oct 15, 2009
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Deus XP
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My acquisition bank and dump bank are different branches of the same bank. Both are now closed except by appointment only which means I likely won't get an appointment to dump my box of halves which gives me the money I would normally use to acquire a new box of halves that the other branch has ordered.

Given that all gyms are closed along with a lot of other normal activities, it would normally be a great time to hunker down and CRH; however ...

Stacker62

Feb 28, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, CU is closed until further notice. Thanks to work I couldn't dump or refill. Guess this'll give me time to put all my coins into flips. Happy hunting everyone, load up while ya can, stay healthy!

Some of the banks around here are going to Drive up and ATM only. So far I have 2 boxes tomorrow and 2 boxes on Friday that I can get. I called and they said no problem...next week may be a different story though. One bank did tell me that they could order for me and put them in the drive through window a few at a time possibly :)

Avago

Jun 26, 2014
The 2nd State
Primary Interest:
Other
My dump banks just closed their lobbies as well - They did note people could access their safe deposit boxes by appointment only, so I will probably try to do that to unload what I have and then give it a rest until this all blows over.

Stacker62

Feb 28, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, CU is closed until further notice. Thanks to work I couldn't dump or refill. Guess this'll give me time to put all my coins into flips. Happy hunting everyone, load up while ya can, stay healthy!

I'm really lucky. I was able to get 4 boxes today ( Found only 1, 1968-D ) and even though starting Monday the lobby is closed at one of the banks I pick up at, they told me they would still order for me and put the rolls in my coin bags and give them to me through the drive in window :)

Diggin' History

Jan 27, 2020
Detector(s) used
Minelab Vanquish 540, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, DR.OTEK MT-XR, Nokta Makro Simplex+, Bounty Hunter Discovery 3300, a GP Pointer Handheld Pinpointer, and a GUZI Waterproof Handheld Pinpointer.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Three (3) of the banks in my area closed their lobbies Thursday and closed their Drive-Thru's today. No one could make a deposit nor could they get their checks cashed much less get any coin. ATM only. I don't suppose it would be too bad but, these are the main branches - the satellite branches are only open as long as the stores they have been installed in are open.

The other 15 and some odd banks around here are Drive-Thru only, just like all the fast food places.

Take care all.
-DH-

Avago

Jun 26, 2014
The 2nd State
Primary Interest:
Other
I tried to make an appointment to use my usual coin machine but the bank isn't allowing it, so I'm stuck sitting on a week's worth of halves for the foreseeable future. Stopped the orders in the meantime as well, what a mess this all is.

As a side note, I have heard from multiple banks that they are concerned that they are running low on large denomination bills. I wouldn't think much of it if it was a single bank but I've heard it from three separate ones.

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
I tried to make an appointment to use my usual coin machine but the bank isn't allowing it, so I'm stuck sitting on a week's worth of halves for the foreseeable future. Stopped the orders in the meantime as well, what a mess this all is.

As a side note, I have heard from multiple banks that they are concerned that they are running low on large denomination bills. I wouldn't think much of it if it was a single bank but I've heard it from three separate ones.

Sadly, there is a lot of misinformation and people panic. The banks system as whole are well-capitalized and with the FDIC, everyone's checking/savings are safe. Yet, with the misinformation/panic, people have been withdrawing massive amounts of cash with the idea that the financial system will fail after the stock sell-off. I witnessed a number of customers getting envelopes of cash withdrawn. When they order coin and currency, they do so based on past demands. Having a number of customers withdrawing large sums will wreak havoc on their demand calculus.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Sadly, there is a lot of misinformation and people panic. The banks system as whole are well-capitalized and with the FDIC, everyone's checking/savings are safe. Yet, with the misinformation/panic, people have been withdrawing massive amounts of cash with the idea that the financial system will fail after the stock sell-off. I witnessed a number of customers getting envelopes of cash withdrawn. When they order coin and currency, they do so based on past demands. Having a number of customers withdrawing large sums will wreak havoc on their demand calculus.
DD, I’m assuming this is sarcasm? My research shows that the FDIC is set to cover a tiny fraction of deposits, supposedly a couple hundred billion of several trillion dollars insured. My money is the bank’s property once I make a deposit, and banks by law are now not required to carry any percentage of cash reserves.

Pulled $2k from my credit union on Saturday and was told the $ was only avail in large denomination bills.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread