So will next year, 2021 be like 2009..

Scott (Mich)

Mar 23, 2007
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Will next year be a repeat of 2009, when we had a lower than usual mintage of U.S. coins?

The reason that I thinking it may be possible, is that with people being hunkered down and some also not working from home, they will be digging through their stashes of coins and then taking them to the local bank or Coinstar machine, just so they can have cash to get by. As we know, coins turned in by people equals less needed by the banks from the US Mint.

I guess that it all depends on how long we have to do the "social distancing/self quarantine" thing.

Thoughts?

Upvote 0

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
It is certainly possible. I also think it will be reasonable to expect an uptick in 40%'ers found in the wild. Right now, each 40%'er is worth $1.80. Depending on how quick of a rebound will determine if coin dealers will buy them. They aren't going to commit their much needed capital to buying coins that aren't worth sitting on in order to realize a profit. People that are turned away from selling their 40%'ers will dump them.

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Who is to say that 2020 won't be like 2009? Spot silver prices have dipped but I don't see any drop in physical silver coin prices. On Ebay, silver coin prices haven't changed.

Ranger Chuck

Apr 6, 2018
Central PA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe 2020 will be the low mintage year. My guess is they have skeleton crews working in the mints right now if they haven't been shut down yet this week. Demand for physical coinage and cash will be low due to an increase in online purchasing or use of credit cards. There aren't a whole lot of people interested in handling coins right now.

silveraddict

Jan 9, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
The Royal Canadian Mint completely closed down for at least 2 weeks.
US Mint might do the same.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread