Silver all gone?

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
Hey folks, happy Sunday!

Are silver half dollars beginning to dry up? I live in Colorado. I've recently been through about 20 boxes of half dollars ($500 per box ) from several different banks in the area. I haven't found a single silver coin. Anyone else?

That is a pretty small sample size to frame your theory. The silver is still there. It comes and goes. About a decade ago, there was a heavy hunter who did 20 boxes a week. His skunk streak was months. SilverCop was the hunter.

OP
OP
J

Jimmyrig

Greenie
Mar 21, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a pretty small sample size to frame your theory. The silver is still there. It comes and goes. About a decade ago, there was a heavy hunter who did 20 boxes a week. His skunk streak was months. SilverCop was the hunter.

Dang! 20 boxes a week is 1000 coins. Lets say for the sake of argument a 2 month skunk streak = 8000 coins without a single silver... that's rough.

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
Your math is way off. 20 coins in $10 roll. 50 rolls in 1 Box = $500. There are 1000 half dollars in a single box. 20 boxes is 20,000 coins.

Go search the archives for his handle as he gave updates to his efforts.

OP
OP
J

Jimmyrig

Greenie
Mar 21, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your math is way off. 20 coins in $10 roll. 50 rolls in 1 Box = $500. There are 1000 half dollars in a single box. 20 boxes is 20,000 coins.

Go search the archives for his handle as he gave updates to his efforts.

Apologies, your right. Not sure where the heck I got 20 boxes is 1000 coins. Must be the quarantine with 2 toddlers lol. Still 160,000 coins without a single silver seems ridiculous. I would have given up at half that.

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have seen this question asked for years. All original silver is probably gone. I started about 10 years ago and did pretty well. All new silver are the coins deposited by widows and grandchildren of hoarders. They just want the cash. It will work through the system and get boxed for you to find. (one at a time)

TxAg

May 7, 2017
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Silver can be very erratic. January and February were particularly slow for me, then March roared like a lion, lol. “Right place at the right time”, still the mantra. It will slow for me personally now that banks are closing their lobbies. That will make it more difficult to pickup and dump going forward. :tongue3:

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Silver can be very erratic. January and February were particularly slow for me, then March roared like a lion, lol. “Right place at the right time”, still the mantra. It will slow for me personally now that banks are closing their lobbies. That will make it more difficult to pickup and dump going forward. :tongue3:

I'm stuck, for now, with a lot of halves!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread