Silver all gone?
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Member
Discoveries
 
Results 1 to 9 of 9
Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By Johnnybravo300
  • 2 Post By cyberdan
  • 2 Post By halfdime

Thread: Silver all gone?

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
  1. #1

    Mar 2020
    7
    3 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

    Silver all gone?

    Hey folks, happy Sunday!

    Are silver half dollars beginning to dry up? I live in Colorado. I've recently been through about 20 boxes of half dollars ($500 per box ) from several different banks in the area. I haven't found a single silver coin. Anyone else?

  2. #2
    us
    Jan 2016
    South of Gunnison, Gold Basin
    F2
    2,047
    2463 times
    Prospecting
    I have better luck finding gold in creeks.
    oneguy likes this.

  3. #3
    Charter Member
    us
    Dec 2008
    St. Augustine, FL
    4,254
    1869 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmyrig View Post
    Hey folks, happy Sunday!

    Are silver half dollars beginning to dry up? I live in Colorado. I've recently been through about 20 boxes of half dollars ($500 per box ) from several different banks in the area. I haven't found a single silver coin. Anyone else?
    That is a pretty small sample size to frame your theory. The silver is still there. It comes and goes. About a decade ago, there was a heavy hunter who did 20 boxes a week. His skunk streak was months. SilverCop was the hunter.

  4. #4

    Mar 2020
    7
    3 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by Diver_Down View Post
    That is a pretty small sample size to frame your theory. The silver is still there. It comes and goes. About a decade ago, there was a heavy hunter who did 20 boxes a week. His skunk streak was months. SilverCop was the hunter.
    Dang! 20 boxes a week is 1000 coins. Lets say for the sake of argument a 2 month skunk streak = 8000 coins without a single silver... that's rough.

  5. #5
    Charter Member
    us
    Dec 2008
    St. Augustine, FL
    4,254
    1869 times
    Your math is way off. 20 coins in $10 roll. 50 rolls in 1 Box = $500. There are 1000 half dollars in a single box. 20 boxes is 20,000 coins.

    Go search the archives for his handle as he gave updates to his efforts.

  6. #6

    Mar 2020
    7
    3 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by Diver_Down View Post
    Your math is way off. 20 coins in $10 roll. 50 rolls in 1 Box = $500. There are 1000 half dollars in a single box. 20 boxes is 20,000 coins.

    Go search the archives for his handle as he gave updates to his efforts.
    Apologies, your right. Not sure where the heck I got 20 boxes is 1000 coins. Must be the quarantine with 2 toddlers lol. Still 160,000 coins without a single silver seems ridiculous. I would have given up at half that.

  7. #7
    us
    Dec 2006
    Very Northern Left Coast
    XLT & Bigfoot
    4,455
    2031 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    I have seen this question asked for years. All original silver is probably gone. I started about 10 years ago and did pretty well. All new silver are the coins deposited by widows and grandchildren of hoarders. They just want the cash. It will work through the system and get boxed for you to find. (one at a time)
    Greastart and Sleepy Holow like this.
    When I did yard sales I was dollardan. No yard sales where I am now.

  8. #8

    May 2017
    Garrett AT Pro
    352
    300 times
    Metal Detecting
    Silver can be very erratic. January and February were particularly slow for me, then March roared like a lion, lol. “Right place at the right time”, still the mantra. It will slow for me personally now that banks are closing their lobbies. That will make it more difficult to pickup and dump going forward.

  9. #9

    Oct 2006
    Zelienople
    White's XLT
    4,387
    1035 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by TxAg View Post
    Silver can be very erratic. January and February were particularly slow for me, then March roared like a lion, lol. “Right place at the right time”, still the mantra. It will slow for me personally now that banks are closing their lobbies. That will make it more difficult to pickup and dump going forward.
    I'm stuck, for now, with a lot of halves!
    Avago and Greastart like this.
    A gentleman farmer named Floyd
    With some of his kin was annoyed
    The boys in their youth
    Did not know the truth
    And one of his tools was destroyed

 

 

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 61
    Last Post: Apr 11, 2019, 06:27 PM
  2. Replies: 19
    Last Post: Jan 15, 2017, 04:06 PM
  3. Replies: 66
    Last Post: May 18, 2014, 11:27 PM
  4. Replies: 8
    Last Post: Mar 16, 2011, 11:10 PM
  5. Replies: 11
    Last Post: Mar 16, 2011, 07:31 AM
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.3.0