Did not even get past go... two banks no half dollars... I cant believe it

Wildlander3

Tenderfoot
Oct 28, 2007
Did not even get past go... two banks no half dollars... I can't believe it

So I been reading here and got kinda excited and went to go buy my first half dollars. I live in a small western college town. Went to my personal bank... no rolls. They do not carry them. Huh? I do not understand. Why not? She checked all the tellers.... only 3 half dollars. So I went to the next bank. Again, no rolls.

What am I doing wrong. Seems they do not like half dollars around here.

I was thinking about it and it dawned on me. The retailers, their cashier drawers - they are too small for half dollars. A few will fit but not many. If people used half dollars consistently it would fill up there trays in a hurry. Two quarters take up less room than one half dollar. So it is a convience-volume thing. The same with people, put 5 dollars worth of quarters in your pocket without too much problem. But put 10 half dollars and your pants go sideways and ya start walking around in circles.

Ha.

Upvote 0

Fropa

Feb 27, 2007
SW Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Re: Did not even get past go... two banks no half dollars... I can't believe it

Finding halves is a hit or miss thing. I've found over $2,500 worth at banks, but yesterday only $4 worth. Some banks are happy to get rid of them and others act like their a precious commodity and will only give you a few because they may run out. That's why hunting is fun, you never know what you'll find.

GMan00001

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2006
Twin Cities, MN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Did not even get past go... two banks no half dollars... I can't believe it

Wildlander3 said:
I was thinking about it and it dawned on me. The retailers, their cashier drawers - they are too small for half dollars. A few will fit but not many. If people used half dollars consistently it would fill up there trays in a hurry. Two quarters take up less room than one half dollar. So it is a convience-volume thing. The same with people, put 5 dollars worth of quarters in your pocket without too much problem. But put 10 half dollars and your pants go sideways and ya start walking around in circles.

Actually, I would disagree with your assessment. 2 quarters weigh exactly the same amount as 1 half dollar and are made of exactly the same metals so they will take up exactly the same physical volume (well except for the fact that they will stack slightly differently due to amount of wasted space but that is air so no weight).

1 Quarter = 5.67 grams, 2 Quarters = 11.34 grams
1 Half Dollar = 11.34 grams.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread