Impossible to Dump Coins

weighit

Feb 17, 2007
Northern Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX with a Big Foot coil
Gold Bug 2
Where I live there are 5 branches of my dump bank, and as of Monday they shut down 4 of them to walk in traffic and only have drive through open at 2 of them. I called and asked if i could deposit coins(boxes of halves) and was told no. Went to the only open walk in branch and was allowed to dump 2 boxes and that is it for at least the month of April. They said they had no room for any more boxes and they would not accept them at all. Once the shut down was over, they would resume taking my boxes as they have been for years. I will have to see if any of the branches over 60 miles away will be open as I still have 4 more boxes of halves to get rid of and my cash back into my pocket. How are others doing with this virus shutdown. Might have to just hold off for a while till things get back to semi normal.

Upvote 0

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think you're done for at least a month. They do spend. Just don't overdo it at any one place. But we're all supposed to stay home and live on this website. I stopped the last of February as I saw this coming.

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
My mother taught me to sew at a young age and with slight OCD tendencies, I was able to take that knowledge and produced numerous quilts. I'm a bit of a rock-star when it comes to quilting. With the bank employee's interaction with the public (reduced now, but they still take appointments), I saw a need to help protect them. I made numerous masks for the employee's and I was overwhelmed with gratitude. I don't need an appointment. I just call when I'm on my way and when I arrive, and the doors are opened for me.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Diver_down, I took a pair of face masks, N95, the right kind to my bank a couple weeks ago with a few pair of surgical gloves. I was just making a deposit at the time. You should have seen the look on her face! The drive thru is only open now. I had a couple extras and thought I'd just share. I won't be doing CRH for months to come.

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
Diver_down, I took a pair of face masks, N95, the right kind to my bank a couple weeks ago with a few pair of surgical gloves. I was just making a deposit at the time. You should have seen the look on her face! The drive thru is only open now. I had a couple extras and thought I'd just share. I won't be doing CRH for months to come.

People that are at home don't realize those who work during the day such as the tellers don't have the luxury to stalk the stores at opening when a supply of hand sanitizer/gloves/etc are available. By the time they get off work, the shelves are empty. Local distillery was making hand sanitizer. Donating it to first responders but selling to the public to offset the cost. $3 for a 2 ounce bottle which is expensive normally, but in the present times it is what it is. I bought a bunch and gave each of them a bottle. They were thrilled.

We used to grease the engine that made our hobby possible by buying treats for the staff. Now, hand sanitizer and masks/gloves are the new "treat".

Tommybuckets

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2015
Bodymore, Metalland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal, Safari, Garrett infinium, Whites prizm 4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep glad I got out when i did. Now to close all these pesky accounts and get ready for the stock market to bottom out so I can buy in. I can't find any reasonably priced PMs or I'd get coins. I still find rolls to dump laying around. Nows a good time for me to learn how to ebay the MWR ender rolls I saved for a boring rainy day. My plan was to open one when I got tired of being skunked I still have Benders, Wenders and Kenders and some 40%. Now is the time to share the love of CRHing since no one can do much now. I unfortunately opened the double enders I had since I wanted to know what was in them too badly. They all had at least two silvers lol.

TheMastermind

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
Pennsy
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been able to dump boxes through the closest drive-thru window of my dump bank branches, I was sitting on 6 boxes of halves from the last couple of weeks and finally they let me dump them.

But after dumping one at each branch, they said they won't take any more.

Right now I'm sitting on $1500 in dimes in a canvas bag because I've got nowhere to run them through a coin machine and I refuse to reroll them.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mastermind, use some as cash. It will take awhile, but right now it's the only option but we need to stay home, at least at my house! Love the Amazon deliveries.

TxAg

May 7, 2017
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have stopped CRH as of Monday. I can still get boxes, but my dump bank branches have reduced from 8 active to now 4, and those are strictly open for drive through. I have 3 boxes of halves to dump and will gradually dispose of those via the remaining motor banks. But I decided to stop CRH otherwise I’ll end up with many many pounds of coins I can’t dump.

Dannycoco

Jun 2, 2016
New York
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I’ve been able to make appointments to use the banks coin machine. Kinda nice being the only person in the bank besides the tellers. And yes I use lots of hand sanitizer.

rjw4law

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2007
Missouri
Detector(s) used
AT Garrett Max/ Garrett ATX/ Deus XP
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
dumped all my coins (1,000 $), ordered some more,,,,then the bank said come back end of April!

GlenDronach

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can we all just agree at this point that CRHing is not something that would be considered an essential service and stop going to the banks?

Even if you aren't concerned about your safety, the tellers and other people you come in contact with might be.

Generally, the people on this site tend to skew into the higher risk age ranges as well, it would be good to isolate. This is only the beginning.

FormerTeller

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Glen beat me to it. Tellers are stressed enough as it is. Continuing to attempt to CRH, especially dumping, is going to wear out our welcome pretty freaking quick!

TxAg

May 7, 2017
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I agree and have stopped my pickups and dumps, just not worth it right now. Sitting on a bunch of coins I would like to get rid of, but I don’t really need the cash right now. Hey, we are just not spending as much money as usual while we are stuck at home. Besides, I would never forgive myself if my trips to the bank somehow spread the virus to my wife or to my tellers. Again the chance for silver, or W quarters, or wheaties, or whatever just isn’t worth it.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
I agree and have stopped my pickups and dumps, just not worth it right now. Sitting on a bunch of coins I would like to get rid of, but I don’t really need the cash right now. Hey, we are just not spending as much money as usual while we are stuck at home. Besides, I would never forgive myself if my trips to the bank somehow spread the virus to my wife or to my tellers. Again the chance for silver, or W quarters, or wheaties, or whatever just isn’t worth it.
Won’t matter. Most of us are already carrying this and have been for years.

cdickrun64

Nov 12, 2009
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
My eyes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Use a coinstar and choose giftcard from a grocery store, no fee. Gonna be buying groceries, right?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions