Counterfeit Kennedy Half - Page 2
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Member
Discoveries
 
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 28 of 28
Like Tree44Likes

Thread: Counterfeit Kennedy Half

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
  1. #16
    us
    Aug 2009
    White's MXT
    2,256
    31 times
    Wow.. never seen anything like that in 20 years of CRHing. Simply stunned.. how was the rim? Did the rim show copper or was the coin one solid metal color? They didn't try to make it look real. Lol. Wonder why they tried to make this creation. The artist was terrible at drawing Kennedy. Odd since most counterfeits are made using die cast jobs that lift off of regular coins.

  2. #17
    Charter Member
    us
    Watch For Motorcycles

    Dec 2009
    St. Charles County, Missouri
    Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Teknetics Delta 4000, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Carrot
    2,752
    3063 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    On the subject of ugly Kennedy half dollars:

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200408_072405.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	1.34 MB 
ID:	1826369
    port ewen ace likes this.
    Watch for Motorcycles

  3. #18
    Charter Member
    us
    Tommy

    Dec 2015
    Ann Arbor
    Equinox 800
    33,526
    42188 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    His hair is over groomed lol
    Alexis123 likes this.
    Still Available Approved TreasureNet Sticker $2.00 for 11" X 3" Bumper Sticker ::. I have 34 left PM me if you would like to buy any Tommy.................... Put it on my Trans Am FREE SHIPPING Street Racing My Trans Am W/Tnet Stick

  4. #19

    Apr 2020
    14
    12 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    The coin looks terrible. Why would someone do that? It is not a rare date like 1964.
    A2coins likes this.

  5. #20

    Apr 2020
    45
    37 times
    Coin Roll Hunting
    <<The coin looks terrible. Why would someone do that? It is not a rare date like 1964.>>

    Well, it's harder to counterfeit a 90% silver coin, since anyone knowledgeable enough to buy it will scrutinize it a good bit. It actually would make more sense to try to counterfeit a clad than a silver.

    Also, a 2012 half dollar is technically more than 100x rarer than a 1964 half. Over 400 million 1964s were minted, versus less than 4 million 2012s. That said, I did find a 2012-p Kennedy in a box yesterday, but I did not find a 1964... Did find a walker, though!

  6. #21
    us
    Dec 2014
    29
    41 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by SFBayArea View Post
    Wow.. never seen anything like that in 20 years of CRHing. Simply stunned.. how was the rim? Did the rim show copper or was the coin one solid metal color? They didn't try to make it look real. Lol. Wonder why they tried to make this creation. The artist was terrible at drawing Kennedy. Odd since most counterfeits are made using die cast jobs that lift off of regular coins.
    The rim does not show copper color. The rim is solid silver metal color like the obverse and reverse.

  7. #22
    us
    Apr 2007
    Missouri
    AT Garrett Max/ Garrett ATX/ Deus XP
    1,579
    161 times
    Relic Hunting
    I never even thought of anyone making Fake modern coins
    Have detector, Will Travel RJW

  8. #23
    us
    Apr 2011
    1,868
    1347 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Roll Hunting Family View Post
    That said, I did find a 2012-p Kennedy in a box yesterday, but I did not find a 1964... Did find a walker, though!
    You’re still getting boxes?

  9. #24
    us
    Dec 2006
    Very Northern Left Coast
    XLT & Bigfoot
    4,552
    2141 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    I want it. I collect counterfeits. I tried looking up LIBFRTY and google corrected the spelling. Guess I need to go to AliExpress.com there are so many counterfeit coins on that site. Just went there and found this 1800 Draped Bust dollar. Can't beat the price. Of course the word "COPY" is no where to be found.

    I started collecting counterfeits when I bought hundreds of mercury dimes and saw four that just didn't look right.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1800.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	287.6 KB 
ID:	1828450   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	merc-2.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	29.4 KB 
ID:	1828455  
    When I did yard sales I was dollardan. No yard sales where I am now.

  10. #25
    Charter Member
    us
    tokameel

    May 2012
    Mequon, Wi
    In 1974- White. Now a Garrett Ace 250. 8/30/12 using a Zircon m40 Stud Finder as a hand held pin pointer.
    553
    394 times
    Looking for Error coins from the bank. Update: I can MD using my wheelchair!
    One other thing that is out of sorts with with this 1912 Kenn, is that the edge reeding bumps are fatter than they are on a real 2012.
    On the date of this Half, it has 8 reed bumps from the end of the first "2" to the end of the "0" that follows it. Too Fat.

    On a genuine 2012 there are about Ten bumps of reeding in that same distance. May not sound like much but it will ad up over the whole 360 degrees of the coin.

    We know that this one is a fake but you can try dropping it on a hard surface for a sound check.
    Do yours and then drop a real coin that is made of the same stuff that the coin in question should be made of.
    If they are made of different metals they should make different sounds.

    Thanks for the post.

    Tom
    Here I’m sitting, broken hearted, removed my spacesuit and insulating underclothes, attached the plastic bag, strapped myself into the zero gravity toilet, activated the suction mechanism, and only farted.

    As the biker approached, his tee-shirt said “ MAKE 7 “ . As he roared away it said “UP YOURS”.

    Darth Vader sleeps with a Teddywookie.

  11. #26
    us
    Jan 2013
    Central Texas
    Minelab Equinox 800 11DD coile 11x15DD coil 6DD coil Bounty Hunter Land Ranger Pro, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,
    937
    643 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Interesting find, I bet it was ordered off WISH with all the other counterfeit money!!!

  12. #27
    us
    Dec 2014
    29
    41 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by tokameel View Post
    One other thing that is out of sorts with with this 1912 Kenn, is that the edge reeding bumps are fatter than they are on a real 2012.
    On the date of this Half, it has 8 reed bumps from the end of the first "2" to the end of the "0" that follows it. Too Fat.

    On a genuine 2012 there are about Ten bumps of reeding in that same distance. May not sound like much but it will ad up over the whole 360 degrees of the coin.

    We know that this one is a fake but you can try dropping it on a hard surface for a sound check.
    Do yours and then drop a real coin that is made of the same stuff that the coin in question should be made of.
    If they are made of different metals they should make different sounds.

    Thanks for the post.

    Tom
    It sounds very similar to a standard clad Kennedy half. Most people probably wouldn't hear the difference. (I can usually tell a 1992 Kennedy from the sound . . . )

    Several of the reeds don't cut all the way to the reverse side of the coin. Those ones go most of the way, but don't quite make it.

  13. #28

    Apr 2017
    Fisher F75, Minelab Soveriegn XS 2 Nokta pinpointer
    1,391
    2008 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    I think its an excellent depiction - of Lee Majors

    Chub
    Bad Karma likes this.

 

 
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. 2 Half Reals & Counterfeit Half Pence
    By doninbrewster in forum Today's Finds!
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: Jul 02, 2014, 09:53 PM
  2. Kennedy half
    By Digger2 in forum Finds - Louisiana
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: Jun 01, 2013, 05:47 PM
  3. Kennedy Half
    By 60sqbird in forum Today's Finds!
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: Aug 06, 2011, 06:25 PM
  4. Counterfeit seated half
    By jamesbibb in forum Today's Finds!
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: Mar 08, 2010, 07:51 PM
  5. Counterfeit 1971 Kennedy
    By Trezurehunter in forum Coin Roll Hunting
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: Feb 21, 2008, 07:37 PM
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.3.0