anyone searching for or finding presidential dollar error coins?

Aug 27, 2006
WHAT KIND OF TREASURE ARE WE HUNTING TODAY ?
Detector(s) used
MINELAB E TRAC, EXCAL2,QUATTRO,WHITE 6000 DI PRO SL,EAGLE SPECTRUM,SILVER UMAX ,BANDIDO UMAX VARIOUS VINTAGE
supposedly the first few issue have plain edge or jumble edge variations. these dont seem to be as popular as the state quarters.many banks still have supply of first g washimgton coin.always offering them to me when i ask for halves.guess they anxious to get rid of. ugly coin.george looks too puffy cheeked.like mouth full of food. liberty on back is excellent !!! gold color makes me wish i had the cash it takes to collect real gold coins.and how !!!!!!!

Upvote 0

Silver_Fox

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Good 'Ol USA /
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 of course
scrounger said:
gold color makes me wish i had the cash it takes to collect real gold coins.and how !!!!!!!
I bought $300 worth when they first came out and looked for errors with no success. I spent them hoping to help get them in circulation. We metal detectorists want to see them used (and lost) so we can find them (because we are greedy). They came out in February and I just finally found one MDing last week. As long as the US uses $1 bills, dollar coins will never take off. They have to use 1 and 2 dollar coins in Canada because they don't have a $1 bill. MDers up there find those Loonies and Toonies all the time. They add up quick.

When I have saved up enough change MDing I use it to buy a gold coin. So far I have bought 3. Gold coins are the best to hold and feel.

Smithrow1

Aug 2, 2006
I don't like the new dollar coins but I got a box and checked for errors and didn't find one.

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado
I hear about the errors but am still looking for the one.
I have found all of the varieties of the Washington, But only one error.
I have managed to come out with a couple no edge Philly coins.
Gave one as a gift and had the other certified.

I will post a photo if I can get a good picture of it.

OD

jewelerdave

Aug 29, 2007
Fort Collins, Colorado
Detector(s) used
I just follow my nose!...where the silver and gold goes!
Minelab 5000, Goldmaster, and a few others
XRF spectrometer, Common sense.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
awhitster said:
scrounger said:
gold color makes me wish i had the cash it takes to collect real gold coins.and how !!!!!!!
I bought $300 worth when they first came out and looked for errors with no success. I spent them hoping to help get them in circulation. We metal detectorists want to see them used (and lost) so we can find them (because we are greedy). They came out in February and I just finally found one MDing last week. As long as the US uses $1 bills, dollar coins will never take off. They have to use 1 and 2 dollar coins in Canada because they don't have a $1 bill. MDers up there find those Loonies and Toonies all the time. They add up quick.

When I have saved up enough change MDing I use it to buy a gold coin. So far I have bought 3. Gold coins are the best to hold and feel.

It makes me wonder why. With all the Mints complaints of people not using the dollar coins and the cost of making bills they have not just cut back on the bills to force the issue like they have in other countries. Its a simple logic, if there are not enough ones and people have to use the coins guess what...the coins get used and they get circulated. People over time accept them but not when there are bills about.
I wonder why they didnt do it...complains from bill vending machine owners?
Do strippers have lobbyists? one would think no more ones would be good for them, it means $5 not ones...hmmm. I think it mostly comes down to people not wanting to change is all.

HobBob

Feb 18, 2006
SW Oakland County, MI
Searching, yes. Finding, no. But they work great in the pop machine at work... I stick in two, and the machine gives me back some more coins to look at (not to mention the soda). Great system!!
HH,
Bob

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't go out of my way to search for them. I pick up a roll everytime a new pres. comes out, check it for errors and that's it. None found yet. I don't really like the coins but I figured i'd get a roll everytime they come out and in 10 years when it's over i'll have the whole set. They might be worth a little more by then, but probably not, if nothing else i'll have a thousand dollars to blow on something worthwhile. By then it'll probably cost that much to fill up my gas tank and buy a weeks worth of groceries. ;) ;D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread