"Counterfeit" Quarter

Rosco53

Mar 17, 2018
Bryant, WI
Detector(s) used
Tracker IV (hobby lobby 40% off ;-) )
Primary Interest:
Other
We've been having issues with "cheaters" in our quarter bags at work, metal rounds the same size and weight as a quarter, but magnetic. The company claims they're "unpunched", I know better. So, when I got a call from the office at work today, figured that's what it was about. Not quite sure what I'm expected to do about it, but answered anyway and was confused to hear about counterfeit coins they got... So, I got to the office, and the one is a "dollar" coin/token for a carwash. That one of our cashiers accepted. The other one, they said it sounded odd. Dropped it on the metal, I saw the shine, and had a good idea what it was:
S20200417_0002.jpg S20200417_0003.jpg S20200417_0004.jpg

1st Silver Proof! Not supposed to buy them from work, but couldn't resist. Also kinda no longer care.

Upvote 0

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
I skipped the backstory and viewed the pics. Then I couldn't figure out why you thought it was counterfeit. Then I went back and read your explanation. Hopefully, you find more "counterfeit" silver proofs.

Stacker62

Feb 28, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We've been having issues with "cheaters" in our quarter bags at work, metal rounds the same size and weight as a quarter, but magnetic. The company claims they're "unpunched", I know better. So, when I got a call from the office at work today, figured that's what it was about. Not quite sure what I'm expected to do about it, but answered anyway and was confused to hear about counterfeit coins they got... So, I got to the office, and the one is a "dollar" coin/token for a carwash. That one of our cashiers accepted. The other one, they said it sounded odd. Dropped it on the metal, I saw the shine, and had a good idea what it was:
View attachment 1824642 View attachment 1824644 View attachment 1824646

1st Silver Proof! Not supposed to buy them from work, but couldn't resist. Also kinda no longer care.

Nice Find. I woulda grabed it tooooo. ;)

EccentricInTexas

Jan 14, 2013
Central Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 11DD coil 11x15DD coil 6DD coil
Schiebel AN-19/2,
Bounty Hunter Land Ranger Pro,
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome find!!!

Top Member Reactions