Silver Proof Quarter!

Roll Hunting Family

Apr 14, 2020
Primary Interest:
Other
So, my 5-year-old son has been coin roll hunting during quarantine. He goes through nickels like nobody's business... A box per day sometimes. But tonight, he wanted to do quarters with me.

I've got a few boxes that have a high ratio of 2019 quarters in them, so I wanted to hunt those for Ws. I gave my son a different box, which I had actually almost decided to take back to the bank this week with 45 rolls unhunted.

About 15 minutes into the search, he says "Daddy, I think I found a silver!" Of course, I doubted it. Silver edges are usually foreigns, and half the time a silver-edged US quarter is just some silver-plated state quarter. I've gone through around 20 boxes of quarters since quarantine started, and found only 6 silvers.

Well, he holds it up, I glance down and say "No, that's a proof quarter! Cool!" Sure enough, it's a 1994-S, with plenty of proof luster. But then I look at the edge, and there's no copper showing at all! I knew that silver proof sets started in 1992, so I figure there's a chance it could actually be one of those, but even the silver edge isn't enough evidence for me to say it's silver. So, I couldn't help myself, I had to do a sound test. Sure enough, it's got that silver clank!

No idea why someone would've taken a silver proof quarter out of the lens, and then spent it, but we're not complaining! Definitely my favorite CRH find to date!

20200424_202420111.jpg 20200424_193850.jpg 20200424_193824.jpg 20200424_193914.jpg

Upvote 0

dibdab

Jan 8, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find, glad your kid found it. Congrats!

GlenDronach

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Where are you getting such quantities of coin? Almost everywhere in the US has gone to essential business only, and this is a higher risk activity in that regard.

OP
OP
R

Roll Hunting Family

Apr 14, 2020
Primary Interest:
Other
Where are you getting such quantities of coin? Almost everywhere in the US has gone to essential business only, and this is a higher risk activity in that regard.

Banking is an essential business everywhere in the US, and our local banks are happy to provide this service. These are boxed machine-wrapped rolls. These coins haven't been touched by human hands in weeks, if not months. No virus risk in the coins themselves. Visiting the bank is no higher risk than visiting the grocery store. I wear a mask, I use purell, I spray down the cardboard boxes (which the bank tellers touch when handing to me) with rubbing alcohol when I get home, or I let them sit in the car for 24 hours.

I'm sure some might argue that I shouldn't visit the bank once per week to pick up coin boxes, but I'm not sure those people understand what it's like to have 3 small children (ages 5, 8, and 10) cooped up in a house, with no friends to play with, for multiple months, with no end in sight. Coin roll hunting has proven a fun activity for all 3 of my kids. It keeps them occupied. It keeps them off mind-numbing electronics. And they're learning all kinds of new things. We've learned about the composition of coins, why some coins are rarer than others, where coins are made, why coins get worn in the most raised areas, etc. We've even done a coin-based science experiment, using nic-a-date on dateless buffalo nickels.

Bottom line, I consider it important for my family's overall well-being, with very low associated risk.

Johnny5

Feb 19, 2011
Detector(s) used
Minelabs CTX 3030, Excalibur and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's nice that you taught your son the CRH technique and it appears he is doing it well. Nci find.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread