Coin Star SILVER Cascade!!!!!! with pics

gordon and tanner

Dec 10, 2009
South East, MI
Detector(s) used
my eyes
Primary Interest:
Other
I stopped a Walmart in Sterling Heights, MI to pick up a some booze for my uncle. When I got out of the car I found a "lucky penny" laying in the parking lot.

After the booze purchase I headed to the Coin Star machine. Just ahead of me were two girls who stopped at the machine before me. As they dumped a baggy of coins in, I looked at the reject shoot and could see it was loaded with quarters. I thought for sure the would grab the coins out of the reject shoot and try to dump them into the machine. the DID NOT, they grabbed their receipt and walked away.

I went up to the machine and risking the Covid virus scooped up all the change.
I scored $5 in clad quarters (all beat up) probably why the machine rejected them.
20 cents in clad dimes,
30 cents in nicklers
2 tokens, 1 1982 centavos and and Asian coin.
2 clad Canadian quarters.

SILVER SCORE:

5 Washington quarters, 1943, 1953, 1961, 1963, 1964 (typo fixed) :hello2:
1 Canadian quarter 1964
2 Rosies 1961, 1964.
Also my Lucky Penny from the parking lot.

Since the Pandemic I have looked at 5 coin stars. This was the only score. I figure the chances of getting a good score is higher than normal because people are running low on cash, and this is the only place to currently turn in coin.

Stay safe, and well,
Keep on Searching.
Dad and Tanner

PS We have not been to a bank since March 13 this it the first score in over a month and 1/2.

Attachments

• coin star.JPG
    coin star.JPG
    66.3 KB · Views: 163
  • constar 2.JPG
    constar 2.JPG
    21.4 KB · Views: 105
Last edited:
Upvote 0

Roll Hunting Family

Apr 14, 2020
Primary Interest:
Other
Daaaamn! That's a serious score! I've found 6 silver quarters in total during quarantine, and I had to hunt through about 20,000 clads to find those gems!

I clearly need to start paying more attention to Coinstar machines.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I lived in SE Michigan for around 30 years, I feel sometimes I belong up there more than I do down here in SW Virginia.

You listed a '65 quarter as silver, must have been an oversight on your part - '65 quarters are clad with zero silver in them.

GMan00001

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2006
Twin Cities, MN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I lived in SE Michigan for around 30 years, I feel sometimes I belong up there more than I do down here in SW Virginia.

You listed a '65 quarter as silver, must have been an oversight on your part - '65 quarters are clad with zero silver in them.

Pretty sure that is just a typo. The pics list the last quarter as 1964

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm 6'4" and able to look on top of the Coinstars; amazing what I find up there!

Got a little kid? Have them look on the floor under the machine. I was once metal detecting at a park and saw the coke machine and looked around and under were three quarters. (all clad and still not enough to buy a soda)

Barrydang

Sep 2, 2019
alabama
Detector(s) used
minelab, fisher
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My coinstar been slim Pickens except for the collection dump I caught being cashed in and I had to pay face for it all which still not a bad deal(more than $40 in silver) That’s a good day at the coin star! You got more quarters in a day than I did last year out of coinstar!

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Boom there it is the slot machine paid off well done

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
After all these years I finally found a Rosie this year

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm 6'4" and able to look on top of the Coinstars; amazing what I find up there!

Wishing I was 4 inches taller, I always sweep along the top of the machine, and yes, I’ve found a few goodies.
(But usually a handful of dust)

Immy

Silver Member
Mar 12, 2005
Vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got a little kid? Have them look on the floor under the machine. I was once metal detecting at a park and saw the coke machine and looked around and under were three quarters. (all clad and still not enough to buy a soda)

This can go both ways.

I once saw a toddler try to pick up a nickel in front of the machine and his Mom scolded him "That's dirty, don't touch it!" :dontknow:

More for me. :laughing7:

Once again I make a plea that the Coinstar subforum be moved here from the generic Coins forum. It's much more in line with what we do here, and would definitely see more traffic.

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting

Stacker62

Feb 28, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I stopped a Walmart in Sterling Heights, MI to pick up a some booze for my uncle. When I got out of the car I found a "lucky penny" laying in the parking lot.

After the booze purchase I headed to the Coin Star machine. Just ahead of me were two girls who stopped at the machine before me. As they dumped a baggy of coins in, I looked at the reject shoot and could see it was loaded with quarters. I thought for sure the would grab the coins out of the reject shoot and try to dump them into the machine. the DID NOT, they grabbed their receipt and walked away.

I went up to the machine and risking the Covid virus scooped up all the change.
I scored $5 in clad quarters (all beat up) probably why the machine rejected them.
20 cents in clad dimes,
30 cents in nicklers
2 tokens, 1 1982 centavos and and Asian coin.
2 clad Canadian quarters.

SILVER SCORE:

5 Washington quarters, 1943, 1953, 1961, 1963, 1964 (typo fixed) :hello2:
1 Canadian quarter 1964
2 Rosies 1961, 1964.
Also my Lucky Penny from the parking lot.

Since the Pandemic I have looked at 5 coin stars. This was the only score. I figure the chances of getting a good score is higher than normal because people are running low on cash, and this is the only place to currently turn in coin.

Stay safe, and well,
Keep on Searching.
Dad and Tanner

PS We have not been to a bank since March 13 this it the first score in over a month and 1/2.

Congrats...Nice score

jklund38

Greenie
Apr 7, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I walked past a Coinstar at our local grocery store today and it was loaded with coins(probably 50-100) I was tempted to grab them, but they looked like they were all full of gunk. There were some even stuck at the top of the hopper.

With hands full of groceries, little kids at home, and Covid, I decided to pass. Hard to do. It probably would have taken me almost a pull them all out and I have no clue where I would put them all.

Buchsy

Oct 14, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice score Gordon and Tanner. I suspect more will be cashing in as the pandemic goes on.

srcdco

Dec 11, 2006
Western NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab Nox-800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Our local grocery store, Wegman's, has had the Coinstar machines removed and replaced with their own machines. I don't know if the new ones reject silver, but what I don't like about them is that the reject tray is much higher than the Coinstar one and very easy to see. Apparently they want the profits themselves.
There's still a Coinstar at Wal-Mart.

Scott

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread