1977 D Silver Half Dollar Error?

Bidoof77

Tenderfoot
Feb 25, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don’t post much here or comment but I love to read forums on this website. I need your guys help. I was coin roll hunting and I think I found the rare error. I don’t have a scale but the edge looks silver. Should I send it off to be graded and or authenticated? Thank you!
65AFC7F6-9AC1-450F-9C40-334ECDDFA359.jpeg 91A2C4B7-1DCA-4B25-83D2-CCBAEBFE1672.jpeg 43BF6103-7C39-4761-81C9-9D9BE34CAFA4.jpeg

Upvote 0

Barrydang

Sep 2, 2019
alabama
Detector(s) used
minelab, fisher
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Does it sound like a clad one if you drop in a counter? Silver will have very different sound.

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
An inexpensive scale would be a lot cheaper than sending it out to a grader if you are not sure.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If they stopped using 90 percent silver in 64 then 40 percent till 70 how could that ever happen even by error.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats a question!! not trying to make a mean comment Im learning stuff everyday and want to know if this did ever happen.......Tommy

Barrydang

Sep 2, 2019
alabama
Detector(s) used
minelab, fisher
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If they stopped using 90 percent silver in 64 then 40 percent till 70 how could that ever happen even by error.

In 76 San Francisco minted 40% bicentennial half dollar. They accidentally carried some of those over to those coins or just used them cause they had them. I have not researched it that well.

galenrog

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2006
Weigh it. 90% 12.50 grams. 40% 11.50 grams. Copper cupronickel clad 11.34 grams.

Time for more coffee.

HuntH2002

Bronze Member
May 27, 2018
San Antonio, TX
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2015 Bounty Hunter Discovery 1100 // 2015 Bounty Hunter Ultra Mag Sharpshooter // 2019 Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Interesting find:icon_thumright:

Would also like to know the weight :zoom:

OP
OP
B

Bidoof77

Tenderfoot
Feb 25, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I did a tissue test and a drop test safely and I’m starting to have my doubts :( this could would have been worth 4 figures if it was what I thought it was. I guess my question is can a small amount of clad show up on a silver clad Kennedy from 1965-1970. It is so so faded it looks like silver compared to other edges. I wonder if that just means the clad on the edge is faded. Can that happen? Or can it still be a piece of silver clad. I recognize that weighing it is the answer but I can’t do that at this time :(

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
I did a tissue test and a drop test safely and I’m starting to have my doubts :( this could would have been worth 4 figures if it was what I thought it was. I guess my question is can a small amount of clad show up on a silver clad Kennedy from 1965-1970. It is so so faded it looks like silver compared to other edges. I wonder if that just means the clad on the edge is faded. Can that happen? Or can it still be a piece of silver clad. I recognize that weighing it is the answer but I can’t do that at this time :(

Yes, the rim check showing a muted clad layer can indeed not be as evident due to the two metals interacting with environmental factors causing discoloration. And you are off on the value. The silver '71 errors have realized $82K at auction.

Tommy, CJ suggested a possible answer with leftover planchets from the bicentennial. But also realize the US Mint produces coins for other countries.

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not to mention that 40% half dollars have nothing to do with this. The coins are 2 different sizes, so leftover planchets wouldn't apply.

rangermsg1

Jun 18, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would guess that it is silver plated ( similar to gold plated) as I have come across some silver plated halves.

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
Not to mention that 40% half dollars have nothing to do with this. The coins are 2 different sizes, so leftover planchets wouldn't apply.

Perhaps, I'm misunderstanding your statement. But 40% half dollars and clad half dollars have the same diameter of 30.6mm and the same thickness of 2.15mm.

Overall, I think the OP's coin is CuNi clad and it would be extremely remote that planchets used in '75 at the San Fran mint found their way to Denver years later. But the wrong planchet errors have shown up in '71 Kennedy halves along with Balboa's being struck on 40% planchets.

Last edited:

galenrog

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2006
All I did was post the various weight of halves for comparison. Without further evidence, my opinion is this coin is either a common clad whose copper core was obscured when the planchette was punched, or it is a common clad that has been plated, the former being a bit more likely than the latter. Weight the coin. That, alone, will tell much of the tale.

Fossils

Oct 25, 2019
MA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There's a small chance that your coin could have a rare planchet error: http://worldnumismaticnews.com/2018/06/15/the-1977-kennedy-half-dollar-coins-worth-big-money/

If this is the case, then your coin could be worth a lot of money. Don't waste time dinging the coin to listen for a sound. Just weight the coin based on the measurements that other users have provided. If the coin weighs the same as a 90% silver Kennedy half dollar, then you should look into getting it authenticated.

Last edited:

LooseChange

Sep 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

If this is a 1977D struck on a silver planchet, it would be a 40% planchet which could show some clad layering but would not necessarily have to. It would look like the edge of a 1965 - 1970 Kennedy. The edges of those coins can have varying appearance.

Although 1977D struck on 40% planchet is a real thing, it is unlikely. Any jeweler could weigh it for you.

Attachments

• 1977D.jpg
    1977D.jpg
    13.2 KB · Views: 163

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Perhaps, I'm misunderstanding your statement. But 40% half dollars and clad half dollars have the same diameter of 30.6mm and the same thickness of 2.15mm.

Overall, I think the OP's coin is CuNi clad and it would be extremely remote that planchets used in '75 at the San Fran mint found their way to Denver years later. But the wrong planchet errors have shown up in '71 Kennedy halves along with Balboa's being struck on 40% planchets.

My mistake. I was tired and thought the original coin was an Ike dollar.

Scott (Mich)

Mar 23, 2007
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You also may be able to tell with a good metal detector. Get a '64, a late 60's, and then a known clad half and see where they come up on the detectors scale/readout, then compare those to your 1977. Chances are that it is plated or painted. I read on here a long time ago where some smart alec would spray the edges of his clad with silver paint just to mess with other crh-ers .

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions