US Mint Releases 2020 Kennedy Half Dollars

MalteseFalcon

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2005
Hey guys, long time no see.

Just ran across this item....if you admin folks think this would best be in a different forum, by all means move it.

Seems the US Mint is now selling rolls and bags of 2020 Circulation-grade Kennedy Half Dollars:

https://www.coinnews.net/2020/06/01/2020-kennedy-half-dollars-released-in-rolls-and-bags/

2020-P-Kennedy-Half-Dollar-obverse-510x422.jpg

Upvote 0

TxAg

May 7, 2017
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
No silver in these circulation grade coins, clad only.

weighit

Feb 17, 2007
Northern Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX with a Big Foot coil
Gold Bug 2
Oh yea, lets spend a zillion dollars making coins NOBODY uses and banks don't carry. Makes sense to me, (NOT)....

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
Oh yea, lets spend a zillion dollars making coins NOBODY uses and banks don't carry. Makes sense to me, (NOT)....

Understand the term seigniorage, you will learn that the US Mint turns a profit minting coins (not adding in special issues targeted for collectors). The cent and nickel are the only denominations that cost more to produce than their face value. But they make a crap-ton of money making all other denominations.

Immy

Silver Member
Mar 12, 2005
Vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Understand the term seigniorage, you will learn that the US Mint turns a profit minting coins (not adding in special issues targeted for collectors). The cent and nickel are the only denominations that cost more to produce than their face value. But they make a crap-ton of money making all other denominations.

As I get older, I understand more about what the govt's role in our lives should be. And making coins simply because they profit from the process makes less and less sense.

Govt should be providing essential services and the cent has long out-lived its essential quality. If it wasn't for Artazn/Jarden's lobbying it would have mercifully died years ago.

Last edited:

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
As I get older, I understand more about what the govt's role in our lives should be. And making coins simply because they profit from the process makes less and less sense.

Govt should be providing essential services and the cent has long out-lived its essential quality. If it wasn't for Artazn/Jarden's lobbying it would have mercifully died years ago.

I absolutely fine with getting rid of the cent. So long as the Bureau of Print and Engraving abolishes the $1 FRN. The lifespan of a $1 FRN is 5 years whereas a coin that is already produced at a profit has a lifespan of decades.

airborne1092

Sep 7, 2008
Inland NW
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Haha! Replenish the numbers held back by CRHers and coin collectors!

airborne1092

Sep 7, 2008
Inland NW
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Having lived in Germany for 12 years, I actually prefer using $1 coins, and ditching the penny, too. US forces overseas round up and do not use them, as they cost more to ship to overseas locations than it's worth, apparently.

Rosco53

Mar 17, 2018
Bryant, WI
Detector(s) used
Tracker IV (hobby lobby 40% off ;-) )
Primary Interest:
Other
Won't lie, kinda hate how a post about coins turned political REAL fast...

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"shield" cents aren't worth the paper they're printed on :dontknow::laughing7::laughing9::laughing9::laughing9::sad11:, rot faster than a month old banana:BangHead:

Roll Hunting Family

Apr 14, 2020
Primary Interest:
Other

Yes, the cent should definitely go, and the one dollar bill should be replaced with the one dollar coin. These are such obviously practical policy measures that only a truly dysfunctional congress would fail to make the change year after year after year...

Sleepy Holow

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2013
Expanding Operations
Detector(s) used
Never used one, but am interested
Primary Interest:
Other
Yes, I think the politics behind the obverses is interesting. I think the cent is still around because of who's on the obverse.

Cent - Lincoln (R) - Led America through Civil War, Emancipation Proclamation
Nickel - Jefferson (Anti-Federalist) - Wrote Declaration of Independence, bought ~1/3rd of continental US.
Dime - FDR (D) - Only 4 time pres, WWII, great depression, social security
Quarter - Washington (Federalist) - Lead General in Revolutionary War, First Pres, passed office when people were calling for him to be king
Half - JFK (D) - Bay of Pigs...:icon_scratch:...said we're going to the moon :dontknow:

Essentially, Lincoln is the only republican on US coinage. If you simply eliminate the cent, it would be two democrats to zero republicans. I think the easy solution would be to place Lincoln on a new dollar coin and eliminate the cent. Keeps both parties happy. :occasion14: Plus, Lincoln deserves a permanent place on US coinage imo.

CJ9

Dec 15, 2018
NYC area
Primary Interest:
Other
Yes, I think the politics behind the obverses is interesting. I think the cent is still around because of who's on the obverse.

Cent - Lincoln (R) - Led America through Civil War, Emancipation Proclamation
Nickel - Jefferson (Anti-Federalist) - Wrote Declaration of Independence, bought ~1/3rd of continental US.
Dime - FDR (D) - Only 4 time pres, WWII, great depression, social security
Quarter - Washington (Federalist) - Lead General in Revolutionary War, First Pres, passed office when people were calling for him to be king
Half - JFK (D) - Bay of Pigs...:icon_scratch:...said we're going to the moon :dontknow:

Essentially, Lincoln is the only republican on US coinage. If you simply eliminate the cent, it would be two democrats to zero republicans. I think the easy solution would be to place Lincoln on a new dollar coin and eliminate the cent. Keeps both parties happy. :occasion14: Plus, Lincoln deserves a permanent place on US coinage imo.

Exactly. When people ask me why we still have the cent, that is what I say. I totally agree with you that this is the reason

airborne1092

Sep 7, 2008
Inland NW
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd be willing to give up FDR for Tubman, DeBois, or Douglass - I think that would be a good move.

Shakakka

May 11, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I absolutely fine with getting rid of the cent.

Have you dug one of the recent-year zinc cents (or should I say, jagged pieces of them?) Apparently they get rid of themselves.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread