US Mint Releases 2020 Kennedy Half Dollars
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: US Mint Releases 2020 Kennedy Half Dollars

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »

Aug 2005
    72 times

US Mint Releases 2020 Kennedy Half Dollars

Hey guys, long time no see.

Just ran across this item....if you admin folks think this would best be in a different forum, by all means move it.

Seems the US Mint is now selling rolls and bags of 2020 Circulation-grade Kennedy Half Dollars:

https://www.coinnews.net/2020/06/01/...olls-and-bags/

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2020-P-Kennedy-Half-Dollar-obverse-510x422.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	35.9 KB 
ID:	1839486
    Louie D and A2coins like this.

us
    Electrical Archaeologist

Jan 2015
    Sonoma County,Ca
    MXT ALL PRO
    52 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    What is the silver content?
    A2coins likes this.

May 2017
    Garrett AT Pro
    386 times
    Metal Detecting
    No silver in these circulation grade coins, clad only.
    A2coins likes this.

us
    Feb 2007
    Northern Arizona
    Whites DFX with a Big Foot coil Gold Bug 2
    220 times
    Oh yea, lets spend a zillion dollars making coins NOBODY uses and banks don't carry. Makes sense to me, (NOT)....
    T.C., Immy, sprailroad and 1 others like this.

Charter Member
    us
    Dec 2008
    St. Augustine, FL
    1977 times
    Quote Originally Posted by weighit View Post
    Oh yea, lets spend a zillion dollars making coins NOBODY uses and banks don't carry. Makes sense to me, (NOT)....
    Understand the term seigniorage, you will learn that the US Mint turns a profit minting coins (not adding in special issues targeted for collectors). The cent and nickel are the only denominations that cost more to produce than their face value. But they make a crap-ton of money making all other denominations.
    TheMastermind and Immy like this.

us
    Mar 2005
    Vegas
    420 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Diver_Down View Post
    Understand the term seigniorage, you will learn that the US Mint turns a profit minting coins (not adding in special issues targeted for collectors). The cent and nickel are the only denominations that cost more to produce than their face value. But they make a crap-ton of money making all other denominations.
    As I get older, I understand more about what the govt's role in our lives should be. And making coins simply because they profit from the process makes less and less sense.

Govt should be providing essential services and the cent has long out-lived its essential quality. If it wasn't for Artazn/Jarden's lobbying it would have mercifully died years ago.
    Last edited by Immy; Jun 08, 2020 at 09:35 PM.
    T.C. and xr7ator like this.
    Last appearance in pocket change:

Wheat penny: 1956-D (7/24/19)
    Silver: 1949-D quarter (8/9/19)

Charter Member
    us
    Dec 2008
    St. Augustine, FL
    1977 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Immy View Post
    As I get older, I understand more about what the govt's role in our lives should be. And making coins simply because they profit from the process makes less and less sense.

Govt should be providing essential services and the cent has long out-lived its essential quality. If it wasn't for Artazn/Jarden's lobbying it would have mercifully died years ago.
    I absolutely fine with getting rid of the cent. So long as the Bureau of Print and Engraving abolishes the $1 FRN. The lifespan of a $1 FRN is 5 years whereas a coin that is already produced at a profit has a lifespan of decades.
    airborne1092, Immy and xr7ator like this.

us
    Sep 2008
    Inland NW
    Ace 250
    144 times
    Haha! Replenish the numbers held back by CRHers and coin collectors!
    -Airborne1092

bellum est praesto

us
    Sep 2008
    Inland NW
    Ace 250
    144 times
    Having lived in Germany for 12 years, I actually prefer using $1 coins, and ditching the penny, too. US forces overseas round up and do not use them, as they cost more to ship to overseas locations than it's worth, apparently.
    -Airborne1092

bellum est praesto

us
    Mar 2018
    Bryant, WI
    Tracker IV (hobby lobby 40% off ;-) )
    1603 times
    CRH, hockey cards
    Won't lie, kinda hate how a post about coins turned political REAL fast...

Charter Member
    us
    Dec 2008
    St. Augustine, FL
    1977 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Rosco53 View Post
    Won't lie, kinda hate how a post about coins turned political REAL fast...
    I think you have to look at how you interpret what is "political". Critiquing the efficiency of our monetary system as it relates to production isn't political.
    xr7ator, weighit and Immy like this.

us
    ebay "ulster-relic"

Dec 2012
    port ewen ny
    AT-PRO
    7574 times
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    "shield" cents aren't worth the paper they're printed on , rot faster than a month old banana

Apr 2020
    37 times
    Coin Roll Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by Immy View Post

Yes, the cent should definitely go, and the one dollar bill should be replaced with the one dollar coin. These are such obviously practical policy measures that only a truly dysfunctional congress would fail to make the change year after year after year...
    airborne1092 and xr7ator like this.

us
    Feb 2013
    Expanding Operations
    Never used one, but am interested
    857 times
    CRHing
    Yes, I think the politics behind the obverses is interesting. I think the cent is still around because of who's on the obverse.

Cent - Lincoln (R) - Led America through Civil War, Emancipation Proclamation
    Nickel - Jefferson (Anti-Federalist) - Wrote Declaration of Independence, bought ~1/3rd of continental US.
    Dime - FDR (D) - Only 4 time pres, WWII, great depression, social security
    Quarter - Washington (Federalist) - Lead General in Revolutionary War, First Pres, passed office when people were calling for him to be king
    Half - JFK (D) - Bay of Pigs......said we're going to the moon

Essentially, Lincoln is the only republican on US coinage. If you simply eliminate the cent, it would be two democrats to zero republicans. I think the easy solution would be to place Lincoln on a new dollar coin and eliminate the cent. Keeps both parties happy. Plus, Lincoln deserves a permanent place on US coinage imo.
    CJ9 and Immy like this.

CJ9
    us
    Dec 2018
    NYC area
    614 times
    CRH
    Quote Originally Posted by Sleepy Holow View Post
    Yes, I think the politics behind the obverses is interesting. I think the cent is still around because of who's on the obverse.

Cent - Lincoln (R) - Led America through Civil War, Emancipation Proclamation
    Nickel - Jefferson (Anti-Federalist) - Wrote Declaration of Independence, bought ~1/3rd of continental US.
    Dime - FDR (D) - Only 4 time pres, WWII, great depression, social security
    Quarter - Washington (Federalist) - Lead General in Revolutionary War, First Pres, passed office when people were calling for him to be king
    Half - JFK (D) - Bay of Pigs......said we're going to the moon

Essentially, Lincoln is the only republican on US coinage. If you simply eliminate the cent, it would be two democrats to zero republicans. I think the easy solution would be to place Lincoln on a new dollar coin and eliminate the cent. Keeps both parties happy. Plus, Lincoln deserves a permanent place on US coinage imo.
    Exactly. When people ask me why we still have the cent, that is what I say. I totally agree with you that this is the reason

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links