Cashless Society???

Mrs.CRH

Jul 15, 2012
Orlando, FL
Detector(s) used
My hands, ears, & eyes =D
Primary Interest:
Other
All of my pick-up banks have told me this week that there is a nationwide coin shortage due to the Coronavirus. They all say that received a letter/email from the Federal Reserve. Their reasoning is that people haven't been trading their coins into the banks. It doesn't make sense to me. Shouldn't there be more coins sitting at the banks or coin sorting facilities since so many businesses have been closed and "nobody has been going anywhere" these past few months? What are they up to? Thoughts? Has anyone else been getting this same story from your banks?

Upvote 0

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
There are 3 threads on the same topic. It doesn't make sense to me. If anything, there should be a backlog at the couriers with so many businesses closed for March/April. And those that have reopened are at a reduced capacity and customers opting to use "contact-less" transactions. Last month, I was able to get the American Samoa West Pointers even though they had been released for a month before.

I noticed that you are in Florida also, where we have set daily records for the past week concerning positive COVID-19. This week, all of the Bank of America branches have closed with no explanation. Still have access to the ATM. I don't know what is going on. Come Monday, I need to find answers or I have to pull my money.

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
I wonder if the couriers have cut staffing due to the shutdown and maintaining a minimal staffing at the processing centers. The processing and delivering of coin is much more labor intensive than cash. A delivery/pickup of strapped cash in a bag is much easier/quicker than loading up a dolly and lugging the boxes.

airborne1092

Sep 7, 2008
Inland NW
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
cashless society?

Nope.

Cash is the ultimate in economic freedom. With 1s & 0s in a computer, a portion of your freedoms can be turned off with the click of a 'radio button.' I will fight it tooth and nail.

apdp

Dec 7, 2010
SW Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here in SW Oregon we still cannot go into banks without an appointment, so minimal coin machine redemption going on. Also shortage of beer kegs, Coors and lesser brands such as Blue Moon and micros.

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here in SW Oregon we still cannot go into banks without an appointment, so minimal coin machine redemption going on. Also shortage of beer kegs, Coors and lesser brands such as Blue Moon and micros.

Where in SW OR?

I went to Umpqua in Brookings last week and saw the sign but just rattled the door and they let me in. I bought $300 in bagged halves.

Greastart

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2014
Far North Corner of CA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT Pro and a Garrett Carrot
Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Other
With lobbies closed due to the scamdemic, I’m not surprised.

"Scamdemic" I love it! Careful, fistfulladirt, you don't wanna hurt the feelings of those that drive around in their cars, windows rolled up tight with duct tape around the weatherstripping for extra protection, wearing their M95 masks for safety. You know, the ones that say "I feel like" instead of "I think!"

Grease

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Grocery stores here are now refusing cash at the self-check lanes, “there’s a coin shortage”.

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Grocery stores here are now refusing cash at the self-check lanes, “there’s a coin shortage”.

I refuse to use those lanes anyway. Everytime an employee (walmart) asks me to use self-checkout I ask do I get a discount for doing your work. I never get an answer just a dirty face.

I then move on to a real checkout lane.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread