The one that hopefully doesn't get away...

TheMastermind

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
Pennsy
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got a call last week from one of my pick-up banks, they've finally received a box of halves that they promised to order me a few weeks back.

One catch... they can't give me the entire box, only $200 as a courtesy to me since I was the one who they ordered it for. Apparently, their new policy is to hold onto halves just in case they run out of quarters.

I called my girlfriend who is a teller at a different bank, and she confirmed: "Yep, that is our new policy as well. We are ordering boxes of halves to have on hand just in case we run low on quarters and need to make change."

So, anyway, I get to the bank that called me and the teller hands me the $200 in MWR they've promised me:

one.jpg

I see those enders and the only thing I can think is: "MAN, I WANT THAT WHOLE BOX!"

I start opening rolls, and every one has silver. Here's a few of the best:

two.jpg

three.jpg

four.jpg

Total take from that $200 was 27 keepers, 24 90%ers and three 40%ers:

Walkers
1941D

Bens
1951 x 2
1951D
1952 x 2
1952D
1954 x 2
1954D x 2
1958D
1959D
1962D x 2
1963D x 2

Kens
1964 x 4
1968D x 2

five.jpg

It was absolute torture going through those rolls, as happy and excited as I was, knowing I might've had a dream box in my hands if I were just able to get the whole box that I had originally ordered.

I'm pretty hopeful that if I can secure the rest of that box, I will have my first ever dream box. Closest I've come to a dream box was 95 40%ers several years back.

My plan is to call them back this week after amassing $300 in quarters to ask the head teller if I can trade $300 in quarters for the rest of the box of halves.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's incredible, Congrats! Hope you can get the others too!

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri
Thanks great and terrible. Surely you have $300 in halves around - see if they’ll just swap them out. At least reroll the clad and swap it back out.

Roll Hunting Family

Apr 14, 2020
Primary Interest:
Other
Holy cow! That's painful! Could've had 60 (!!!!) 90%-ers from a single box. The "treasure boxes" tend to be 40%-er bonanzas, pretty rare to land one so heavy on old silver like that.

Hope you manage to score the rest of the halves, but pretty sweet score either way!

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Definitely trade them the halves since they are saving them.

blueberra

Oct 15, 2009
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Deus XP
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Fantastic -- what a great (2/5) box. Good luck on getting the other 30 rolls.

And maybe with the alleged 'coin shortage', half dollars will once again circulate -- not sure if that's such a good thing, however.

OP
OP
TheMastermind

TheMastermind

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
Pennsy
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So did you go back yet?

No, been swamped with work since I was on vacation all last week. Funny how I always pick up the slack for my team when others go on vacation, but they never can do the same for me.

I guess that's being a supervisor for ya, not a regular employee and definitely not management.

Anyway... I've got $200 out of the $300 in quarters amassed though. Looking like Friday will be my chance to grab those halves, if they let me.

OP
OP
TheMastermind

TheMastermind

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
Pennsy
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No dice on the rest of the box, at least not today.

"We have to keep them on hand just in case. Call back next week to see."

I told her that I had $300 in quarters that I could trade for the halves.

"No."

:BangHead:

Roll Hunting Family

Apr 14, 2020
Primary Interest:
Other
Wow, that's incredibly frustrating... Was it the branch manager you talked to? Tellers are never helpful with that kind of policy stuff.

Maybe you can round up some half dollars from other banks for a trade?

And you must have close to $190 in clad halves from the original search, right?

Avago

Jun 26, 2014
The 2nd State
Primary Interest:
Other
Man what a pain! Maybe she knows what she has now...

I second what Roll Hunting Family says, trade her some halves for those halves! Hard to argue with that.

OP
OP
TheMastermind

TheMastermind

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
Pennsy
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I need to go into the office on Friday, so I'm going to try in person instead of over the phone.

I dumped the halves from the original $200 already, but do have the $300 in quarters still.

Hopefully being there in person will put a little more pressure on her to make the customer (me) happy.

OP
OP
TheMastermind

TheMastermind

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
Pennsy
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, the rest of the halves got away from me.

Went to the branch in person today and they told me that they gave them to someone else a few days ago.

My guess is when they opened the box to give me that initial $200 they saw a ton of enders and called a friend or relative to pick up the rest.

:BangHead:

Stacker62

Feb 28, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got a call last week from one of my pick-up banks, they've finally received a box of halves that they promised to order me a few weeks back.

One catch... they can't give me the entire box, only $200 as a courtesy to me since I was the one who they ordered it for. Apparently, their new policy is to hold onto halves just in case they run out of quarters.

I called my girlfriend who is a teller at a different bank, and she confirmed: "Yep, that is our new policy as well. We are ordering boxes of halves to have on hand just in case we run low on quarters and need to make change."

So, anyway, I get to the bank that called me and the teller hands me the $200 in MWR they've promised me:

View attachment 1848592

I see those enders and the only thing I can think is: "MAN, I WANT THAT WHOLE BOX!"

I start opening rolls, and every one has silver. Here's a few of the best:

View attachment 1848593

View attachment 1848594

View attachment 1848595

Total take from that $200 was 27 keepers, 24 90%ers and three 40%ers:

Walkers
1941D

Bens
1951 x 2
1951D
1952 x 2
1952D
1954 x 2
1954D x 2
1958D
1959D
1962D x 2
1963D x 2

Kens
1964 x 4
1968D x 2

View attachment 1848597

It was absolute torture going through those rolls, as happy and excited as I was, knowing I might've had a dream box in my hands if I were just able to get the whole box that I had originally ordered.

I'm pretty hopeful that if I can secure the rest of that box, I will have my first ever dream box. Closest I've come to a dream box was 95 40%ers several years back.

My plan is to call them back this week after amassing $300 in quarters to ask the head teller if I can trade $300 in quarters for the rest of the box of halves.

Wow..I am soooo jealous :). Silver has finally been picking up a bit here as well after months of drought. Congrats on your sweet silver catch..thats a beautiful sight to my eyes....Continued success in your hunts.

Tommybuckets

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2015
Bodymore, Metalland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal, Safari, Garrett infinium, Whites prizm 4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man isn't that the way. Its been few and far between I've been able to pull off the follow up return heist. Usually when I used to get a decent score it was part of a dump that the bank or other hunters didn't recognize as a good score. I've never pulled off getting the whole thing. i did snipe a few small but good loads. Now I don't even bother calling my favorite banks. The lines were already getting too long and coinage scarce before covid. Now, forget it. I called one of my bag branches and they basically were like "not going to happen ever again."

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread