Tracker IV (hobby lobby 40% off ;-) )
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm tempted to try to turn in my $50 in canadian cents

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri
You WI are going to profit way more from dumping than the AG. $10k in halves is worth $10,500??? Wow.

Roll Hunting Family

Apr 14, 2020
Primary Interest:
Other
In SE Wisconsin, a regional bank will pay you $105 for each $100 fv of coin.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/19/us/coin-shortage-banks-paying-trnd/index.html

I saw that in the news last week. I believe there's a bank in Arizona doing the same thing. Just waiting for a bank in my neck of the woods to start doing this, and fingers crossed that they'll give bonus funds for depositing halves. I suspect they won't, given that they're still ordering boxes of halves for me at no charge...

mountainman 2

Bronze Member
Aug 9, 2006
Extreme Northern NJ
Detector(s) used
whites classic sl,whites surfmaster,garrett ATX,minelab vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Time to bring in those bucketfulls of copper cents

Roll Hunting Family

Apr 14, 2020
Primary Interest:
Other
Let me know when you sell a copper cent for $.02/each. It is nice and theory to say they are worth that much, but they are only worth what someone will pay.

I'm well aware... But the penny cannot live forever! Sooner or later, currency reforms are coming. And I'd argue that Coronavirus will accelerate the abandonment of the penny. And when that day comes... Me and my bucket of 97.5% copper will reap a cool hundred dollars in profit! Muahahahah!

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
I'm well aware... But the penny cannot live forever! Sooner or later, currency reforms are coming. And I'd argue that Coronavirus will accelerate the abandonment of the penny. And when that day comes... Me and my bucket of 97.5% copper will reap a cool hundred dollars in profit! Muahahahah!

Good luck with that. I hope you can squeeze more than hundred out of the bucket. Sitting on bricks of copper for decades was one of the worst hedges I ever made. I was glad to unload them a few years ago. And while I did make a profit over the face value, I would have been better off in buying some junk silver and flipping it during that tenure. It certainly would have taken up less space.

Roll Hunting Family

Apr 14, 2020
Primary Interest:
Other
Good luck with that. I hope you can squeeze more than hundred out of the bucket. Sitting on bricks of copper for decades was one of the worst hedges I ever made. I was glad to unload them a few years ago. And while I did make a profit over the face value, I would have been better off in buying some junk silver and flipping it during that tenure. It certainly would have taken up less space.

This hobby has extremely little to do with my finances. I mean, if this were just about the money, I'd be better off working at McDonalds than spending all this time looking through coins. I search pennies, I find a few wheaties per thousand, and pulling out the coppers gives me something fun to do with the rest of them. Hell, if it became legal to melt pennies tomorrow, I'm not even sure I WOULD sell them... There's probably more than $100 in sentimental value in them at this point.

Even when I find several 90% silver half dollars, it's not like I run to the bullion store and sell them. I'm just stacking them up, and I'm not sure when (or if) I'll ever sell them, unless the world really goes to seed in a way I'm not anticipating.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread