Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
Still locked down, been since early March! I am going stir crazy, the only good thing is that the banks are still closed to using coin machines and won't order halves. Of course even if they would my family wouldn't let me go as I am a high risk person, having had a stroke, high blood pressure, no spleen, heart issues

Just drives me crazy not being able to CRH

Upvote 0

weighit

Feb 17, 2007
Northern Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX with a Big Foot coil
Gold Bug 2
Your not alone, my bank has boxes stacked of halves for me, only they shut the lobby and won't give them out. It is smarter to just take a deep breath and wait till they feel safe to reopen. But I feel your pain. Stay safe

OP
OP
Ben Cartwright SASS

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
That is what my son said, even if you hit a silver dump of say 100 90% halves (oh I wish) that would be $750 but how much would the hospital bill be if you end up in an ICU? If I was younger (67) and not an at risk person I would be more aggravated but still it bugs me that I can't get them....

Roll Hunting Family

Apr 14, 2020
Primary Interest:
Other
Well, look on the "bright" side: the boxes would most likely be skunks anyways! You've done 12 boxes of halves this year, and only about $50 in silver to show for it.

blueberra

Oct 15, 2009
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Deus XP
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I hear you -- but I, too, live in Mass. and have only recently (June 10) been able to get boxes of halves from my bank (by appointment only). I have also been able to dump them at another bank (also by appointment only).

That's the good news. Bad news is those 5 boxes have produced 1 lousy 40% silver, bringing my 2020 total to 4 (all 40%) in 13 boxes.

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
..... and you may ask yourself------- who is making money (besides banks) on this :censored::cussing::cussing::evil4::angry5: "shortage"??????--- follow the money---- if there is a journalist who isn't a phony hack of the "new normal",...... the truth may be out there--- Fox Mulder & Scully were soooo close:laughing9::BangHead:

Clad2Silver

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2018
Eastern Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max/ Garrett AT Pro/ Garrett Ace 400/ Garrett Pro Pointer 2 / Garrett Z-Lynk AT Propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
We're only locked down if we choose to be......

Last edited:

galenrog

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2006
I would suggest finding an additional hobby. One based on your current interests may work best.

Learning to bake bread is working for me. My wife misses the dark, rich rye breads of Northern Europe, and can not tolerate the factory breads common to the US. She can, however, eat without discomfort, breads made with natural levaning and whole grain flours. It take planning and a bit of discipline. For me, it is an additional hobby that works very well.

This is just one example of something you could take up that may suit your situation. Gardening is another, but I have not been involved in that since my wife had the garden tilled under, and the area hydroseeded some 25 years ago.

Time for more coffee.

Last edited:

Roll Hunting Family

Apr 14, 2020
Primary Interest:
Other
I would suggest finding an additional hobby. One based on your current interests may work best.

The thing is, I *did* come up with a new hobby during quarantine... Coin collecting and CRH! Now, sourcing coins for CRH is a hobby in and of itself.

OP
OP
Ben Cartwright SASS

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
Coin hunting is just a side hobby.

My hobbies in order of interest and time spent

Photography ( www.jeffphotos.us )
Solar Astronomy and Imaging ( solarhead.net )
Astro photography
collecting Meteorites ( solarhead.net )
Rifle shooting and reloading
Collecting Boston Police guns and equipment
Genealogy ( Home - The Padell Genealogy Website )
Coin Collecting
Stamp Collecting
Web site building
HO Model Trains
1/1200 scale model ship building
Bread Making
collecting Coleman Lanterns
collecting Civil War relics
collecting old cameras

I am sure I am forgetting something

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Ben, I hope you are retired to have all those interests.

OP
OP
Ben Cartwright SASS

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
I took a voluntary layoff about 2 years ago and used that as an excuse to retire at age 65. I need more time in my day!!!

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
My credit union shut their lobby down again after being open for a month. I just took a company buyout and have retired at 58. Before that, I was a service tech in and out of homes/businesses since day one. It’s been a week and I’m wondering if I made the right move.
Wish you luck Ben.

TxAg

May 7, 2017
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My credit union shut their lobby down again after being open for a month. I just took a company buyout and have retired at 58. Before that, I was a service tech in and out of homes/businesses since day one. It’s been a week and I’m wondering if I made the right move.
Wish you luck Ben.
I took a voluntary severance package from my company 2 years ago at age 60. My advice would be to find a good financial advisor (if you haven’t already) and have him run models on what your retirement will look like over the next 40 years or so. The wife and I did that and continue to work with him making adjustments to the plan, particularly in light of CoVid-19 and the economy. One thing that has been a sore spot is the cost of medical coverage now that the wife and I are both retired. Thankfully, she went on Medicare 2 months ago at age 65, which significantly reduced her share of medical coverage. I still have a little over 2 years to go at a little under $600/month and it goes up every year. We’ll make it but that is a large expense every month for a High Deductible Health Plan! Best of luck to you!

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
I took a voluntary severance package from my company 2 years ago at age 60. My advice would be to find a good financial advisor (if you haven’t already) and have him run models on what your retirement will look like over the next 40 years or so. The wife and I did that and continue to work with him making adjustments to the plan, particularly in light of CoVid-19 and the economy. One thing that has been a sore spot is the cost of medical coverage now that the wife and I are both retired. Thankfully, she went on Medicare 2 months ago at age 65, which significantly reduced her share of medical coverage. I still have a little over 2 years to go at a little under $600/month and it goes up every year. We’ll make it but that is a large expense every month for a High Deductible Health Plan! Best of luck to you!
Agreed. I am working with an advisor at the moment. My insurance costs are going from about $450/mo. to $1,300/mo. (for 4). Many people planning retirement fail to take this into consideration.

OP
OP
Ben Cartwright SASS

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
I have a good financial guy. I agree with the health care, we pay $500 a month plus Medicare because my wife wants to keep the Federal Blue Cross (she worked for the Feds for 37 years before retiring)

My bank with the coin counter that saves the half bags for me opens on Monday and I will have to have them watch the half bag. They call me when it fills and I will run right over

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread