Still locked down
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Still locked down

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Aug 2012
    Massachusetts
    Whites, Garrett
    1100 times
    Gold Panning, Metal detecting, beach combing, shooting, photography, genealogy, gardening

Still locked down

Still locked down, been since early March! I am going stir crazy, the only good thing is that the banks are still closed to using coin machines and won't order halves. Of course even if they would my family wouldn't let me go as I am a high risk person, having had a stroke, high blood pressure, no spleen, heart issues

Just drives me crazy not being able to CRH
    Blak bart and smokeythecat like this.
    Ferengi Rules of Acquisition

#59 "Free advice is seldom cheap"

#92 "Never confuse wisdom with luck"

2020 Totals: Halves: 12 40% 4 90%, Dimes: 23, Quarters: 0

2020 GOAL: 300 silver Currently 45/300

Boxes searched: Halves boxes 12, bags 0, CWR 0, loose 0 : Dimes boxes 0, bags 1, BWR 0, CWR 0 : Quarters boxes 1, bags 2, CWR 0

MILES Driven 225

Jun 2016
    New York
    918 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Soon enough Ben. Soon enough. Stay strong.
    Greastart likes this.

us
    Feb 2007
    Northern Arizona
    Whites DFX with a Big Foot coil Gold Bug 2
    216 times
    Your not alone, my bank has boxes stacked of halves for me, only they shut the lobby and won't give them out. It is smarter to just take a deep breath and wait till they feel safe to reopen. But I feel your pain. Stay safe

us
    Aug 2012
    Massachusetts
    Whites, Garrett
    1100 times
    Gold Panning, Metal detecting, beach combing, shooting, photography, genealogy, gardening
    That is what my son said, even if you hit a silver dump of say 100 90% halves (oh I wish) that would be $750 but how much would the hospital bill be if you end up in an ICU? If I was younger (67) and not an at risk person I would be more aggravated but still it bugs me that I can't get them....

Boxes searched: Halves boxes 12, bags 0, CWR 0, loose 0 : Dimes boxes 0, bags 1, BWR 0, CWR 0 : Quarters boxes 1, bags 2, CWR 0

MILES Driven 225

Apr 2020
    32 times
    Coin Roll Hunting
    Well, look on the "bright" side: the boxes would most likely be skunks anyways! You've done 12 boxes of halves this year, and only about $50 in silver to show for it.

us
    Oct 2009
    Massachusetts
    Deus XP
    237 times
    Metal Detecting
    I hear you -- but I, too, live in Mass. and have only recently (June 10) been able to get boxes of halves from my bank (by appointment only). I have also been able to dump them at another bank (also by appointment only).

That's the good news. Bad news is those 5 boxes have produced 1 lousy 40% silver, bringing my 2020 total to 4 (all 40%) in 13 boxes.

us
    ebay "ulster-relic"

Dec 2012
    port ewen ny
    AT-PRO
    7542 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    ..... and you may ask yourself------- who is making money (besides banks) on this "shortage"--- follow the money---- if there is a journalist who isn't a phony hack of the "new normal",...... the truth may be out there--- Fox Mulder & Scully were soooo close
    FloodcityTom likes this.

us
    Ed

Jul 2018
    Eastern Connecticut
    Garrett AT Max/ Garrett AT Pro/ Garrett Ace 400/ Garrett Pro Pointer 2 / Garrett Z-Lynk AT Propointer
    3464 times
    Metal Detecting
    We're only locked down if we choose to be......
    Last edited by Clad2Silver; Jul 21, 2020 at 08:07 PM.

Feb 2006
    1655 times
    I would suggest finding an additional hobby. One based on your current interests may work best.

Learning to bake bread is working for me. My wife misses the dark, rich rye breads of Northern Europe, and can not tolerate the factory breads common to the US. She can, however, eat without discomfort, breads made with natural levaning and whole grain flours. It take planning and a bit of discipline. For me, it is an additional hobby that works very well.

This is just one example of something you could take up that may suit your situation. Gardening is another, but I have not been involved in that since my wife had the garden tilled under, and the area hydroseeded some 25 years ago.

Time for more coffee.
    Last edited by galenrog; Jul 22, 2020 at 11:33 AM. Reason: Spelling

Apr 2020
    32 times
    Coin Roll Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by galenrog View Post
    I would suggest finding an additional hobby. One based on your current interests may work best.
    The thing is, I *did* come up with a new hobby during quarantine... Coin collecting and CRH! Now, sourcing coins for CRH is a hobby in and of itself.

us
    Aug 2012
    Massachusetts
    Whites, Garrett
    1100 times
    Coin hunting is just a side hobby.

My hobbies in order of interest and time spent

Photography ( www.jeffphotos.us )
    Solar Astronomy and Imaging ( solarhead.net )
    Astro photography
    collecting Meteorites ( solarhead.net )
    Rifle shooting and reloading
    Collecting Boston Police guns and equipment
    Genealogy ( Home - The Padell Genealogy Website )
    Coin Collecting
    Stamp Collecting
    Web site building
    HO Model Trains
    1/1200 scale model ship building
    Bread Making
    collecting Coleman Lanterns
    collecting Civil War relics
    collecting old cameras

I am sure I am forgetting something

MILES Driven 225

us
    Feb 2012
    2900 times
    Coin roll hunting
    Ben, I hope you are retired to have all those interests.

us
    Aug 2012
    Massachusetts
    Whites, Garrett
    1100 times
    I took a voluntary layoff about 2 years ago and used that as an excuse to retire at age 65. I need more time in my day!!!

MILES Driven 225

Charter Member
    us
    Feb 2008
    Great Lakes State
    dirtfishing
    3383 times
    silver surfing
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    My credit union shut their lobby down again after being open for a month. I just took a company buyout and have retired at 58. Before that, I was a service tech in and out of homes/businesses since day one. It’s been a week and I’m wondering if I made the right move.
    Wish you luck Ben.
    TxAg likes this.

May 2017
    Garrett AT Pro
    367 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by fistfulladirt View Post
    My credit union shut their lobby down again after being open for a month. I just took a company buyout and have retired at 58. Before that, I was a service tech in and out of homes/businesses since day one. It’s been a week and I’m wondering if I made the right move.
    Wish you luck Ben.
    I took a voluntary severance package from my company 2 years ago at age 60. My advice would be to find a good financial advisor (if you haven’t already) and have him run models on what your retirement will look like over the next 40 years or so. The wife and I did that and continue to work with him making adjustments to the plan, particularly in light of CoVid-19 and the economy. One thing that has been a sore spot is the cost of medical coverage now that the wife and I are both retired. Thankfully, she went on Medicare 2 months ago at age 65, which significantly reduced her share of medical coverage. I still have a little over 2 years to go at a little under $600/month and it goes up every year. We’ll make it but that is a large expense every month for a High Deductible Health Plan! Best of luck to you!
    fistfulladirt likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links