Other

blueberra

Oct 15, 2009
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Deus XP
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Not on the coin itself, but the profit. It’s income.
How does the govt. know that you didn't buy the silver a long time ago (like when the Hunt bros. were trying to corner the silver market) at the exact price you sold it for (or, maybe, more)? Thus, no profit = no capital gain = no tax due.

EQ8

Feb 1, 2020
Sw Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would hold on to the coins unless you need the $$.
After all these ridiculous "bail outs", money is bound to become a lot more worthless.
As a friend told me..
"Gold will get you out of jail, and silver will allow you to eat.
Also.. try a couple of apps..
"Ciinflation" and "scrap it".
Your coin dealer is offering you over $2 LESS than silver halves are worth.
Strictly MY opinion. :)

Last edited:

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
How does the govt. know that you didn't buy the silver a long time ago (like when the Hunt bros. were trying to corner the silver market) at the exact price you sold it for (or, maybe, more)? Thus, no profit = no capital gain = no tax due.
No profit, then why would they notice or care? What they might take notice of is someone’s post of a recent sale on an internet public forum, which we tend to see from time to time.

TheMastermind

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
Pennsy
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

blueberra - you could even deduct the capital loss if that were the case!

"I bought all of that in 2012 at $48/ozt., Mr. Gov't Man. Just sold it all for $40/ozt. Can you direct me to the form for declaring my losses?"

:dontknow:

Avago

Jun 26, 2014
The 2nd State
Primary Interest:
Other
One thing they may do is ask for proof of the purchase/receipts, which you might not necessarily have if they were a bunch of smaller, unreport-able cash purchases - But big brother would say "where did you get the $xx,xxx in 2012 to buy it all then?"

Initiate audit.

Last edited:

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It will go up much higher as the economy and the dollar tank the more the gov spends the higher it goes and a recovery is a long way away

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri
Yeah, I was thinking sales tax. There’s no sales tax on US coins (but there is on currency).

back to the original question I don’t have a real emotional attachment to my CRH finds necessarily but also don’t need the money. I think if silver gets to $36-38 my 40%ers may get sold.

MalteseFalcon

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2005
Bear in mind also that people do not necessarily deposit their "return" into bank accounts where gummint cheezeballs can see the numbers.

If I accumulated several grand in silver over a period of years, did not really advertize the fact I sold any of it, and did not deposit any of my sales into a bank account, the only way the gummint would know I sold any of it would be by checking the records of the dealer I sold the silver to. Sure, it is still a record, but with no record of the cash being deposited, there would be one less record of any "profits".

But, it is all pie-in-the-sky "theory" and also, what the hell do I know? :laughing7:

MalteseFalcon

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2005
Yes, but my opinion is that I sell so little I am unlikely to be audited. They have bigger fish to fry, and even if they raked me over the coals for the profit on, say, 100 dollars face value in silver, they would give me the opportunity to make good on it in the end.

As it is, it would cost them so much more to prosecute some small-time cretin like myself that it would not be worth it. If they have to spend 20 grand in legal fees, investigative work, court costs, etc. for 400 dollars I "forgot" to report on my tax form, it would not be worth it to them at all. :)

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Bear in mind also that people do not necessarily deposit their "return" into bank accounts where gummint cheezeballs can see the numbers.

If I accumulated several grand in silver over a period of years, did not really advertize the fact I sold any of it, and did not deposit any of my sales into a bank account, the only way the gummint would know I sold any of it would be by checking the records of the dealer I sold the silver to. Sure, it is still a record, but with no record of the cash being deposited, there would be one less record of any "profits".

But, it is all pie-in-the-sky "theory" and also, what the hell do I know? :laughing7:
Your point? Ya kind of tip toed around the elephant in the room.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Yes, but my opinion is that I sell so little I am unlikely to be audited. They have bigger fish to fry, and even if they raked me over the coals for the profit on, say, 100 dollars face value in silver, they would give me the opportunity to make good on it in the end.

As it is, it would cost them so much more to prosecute some small-time cretin like myself that it would not be worth it. If they have to spend 20 grand in legal fees, investigative work, court costs, etc. for 400 dollars I "forgot" to report on my tax form, it would not be worth it to them at all. :)
Since when is cost a matter to Guv? :laughing7:

silveraddict

Jan 9, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
Unless/until you need cash badly, you shouldn't trade your physical silver for dollars. There is a much better thing to do with physical silver - if you are patient.

You can build a larger and larger stack by trading between silver and gold. Hold your physical silver until the ratio of gold to sliver is less than 65 (currently around 73, recently in 120's). Once the ratio gets to the low 60's, trade all of your physical silver for physical gold. Then, then wait for the ratio to get above 80. When that happens, trade all of your physical gold for physical silver. For each trade, your stack of precious metal grows. It grows free of cost, free of risk, and free of taxes. It works.
This is what I have done before and am going to do this time.
I traded my gold for silver when it broke 90
No regrets that it climbed to 125
But, I am holding out for 35 to trade my silver back into gold.
I believe mid 30's is most likely.
I've done this before. It work VERY well for me

silveraddict

Jan 9, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
Tried that with my LCS. He didn’t think it was funny as he demanded my driver’s license. I don’t carry a second fake one LOL.
Fortunately I have been friends with the owner of my LCS for over 40 years.
Not a problem for me.

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri
I wouldn’t mind seeing a silver to gold ratio of < 50:1. That might trigger some rotation for me.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread