Going Stir Crazy, But Can't Treat The Symptoms Or Disease Just Yet....

MalteseFalcon

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2005
I have no idea how long it has been.....10 years?

It's been awhile.

As I recall, about 10 or so years ago, I gave up on hunting after getting half a dozen skunk boxes in a row.

I had a decent run for a couple of years, made some good money on the side selling JFKs to be melted down and turned into cheap costume jewelry or silver-plated tea sets....but I got burned out.

Soon thereafter, I lost my Dad, my youngest sister (age 46), and just 2 years ago, my Mom. :sad10:

Hey, it is a club nobody wants to belong to, but we all gotta get a membership card eventually. ::)

After all the dust cleared from the doom and gloom, this year...the new scourge....Covid 19 Productions presented the new sci-fi horror drama "It Came From Somewhere And Ruined Everything For Everybody". :laughing7:

I am in a good situation. I have been working remotely for the past 5 years, earning a decent living.

Of course, aside from staying home to work, I also have been restricting my extracurricular activities outside
the house, with the result I now have the stir crazies.

I now deal with a new bank branch, and decided last week I needed something else to occupy my time.

So as I went to the bank today to deposit my paycheck, I asked to speak to the branch manager.

I informed her of my history with the bank (15 years), and the fact that my previous branch had allowed me to order boxes of halves.

I told her "I understand that within the corporate framework, branch managers have some leeway in deciding their policies, and so I am asking if I can order boxes of half-dollars. I will only order a couple a month at max, and I promise (as I always have) that when you give me a box of halves, I will take it away and you will never see it again". I also told her I was sure there was no shortage of halves, because all they did was sit around collecting dust in the vault of her supplier, unlike the usual small change that is actually used on a day-to-day basis.

She said she has no problem with me ordering halves, but as of right now (as many of you are dealing with this), their contractor is not taking orders of ANY coins at all.

However true that is, I gave her my name and phone number, and she said when they were able to resume ordering coins again, she would let me know.

Hopefully, things will get better enough that I may be able to get back into CRH'ing once more. In the meantime, I can start making day trips to all the banks in my area to ask that most innocent
of questions "Excuse me, but do you have any loose or rolled half dollars here up front or in the vault?"

So I will probably be making more appearances here in the near future to drool over what I find, and sob and wretch over the stench of the skunks like the rest of you.

Happy daze, everybody. 8-)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Good luck in even finding LOOSE teller tray change that they can part with.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is a nationwide shortage of coins of all types. My one local banker even asked if I had any coins at my house I'd like to bring in (I don't).

It's not you, its everywhere. Coin roll hunting is almost dead right now. Best you could probably do is get a few rolls of quarters (or whatever) and promise to bring them back the next day to the same bank.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
In a year we’ll look back and say these were the good old days. This “thing” is here to stay. Hopefully for Crh’s sake we don’t lose a lot of banks but I’m not an optimist to begin with.

Owassokie

Jun 28, 2012
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In a year we’ll look back and say these were the good old days. This “thing” is here to stay. Hopefully for Crh’s sake we don’t lose a lot of banks but I’m not an optimist to begin with.

I usually agree with you fistfull and I'm naturally not an optimist. However, I feel this "thing" will seemingly begin to vanish about the time the election is wrapped up...similar to how it's seemingly vanished in other countries. Translation...a lot less fear mongering will translate to less testing and seemingly(maybe actually), less cases. I'm guessing a vaccine will be given the credit but I'm also guessing we only have around 50% participation in the vaccine.

Don't get me wrong...I believe it's real. I just believe it's being used as a tool. My fear, as it relates, would be the next mutation of this bug...but I will pray it's symptom-less like many of the predecessors.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
I usually agree with you fistfull and I'm naturally not an optimist. However, I feel this "thing" will seemingly begin to vanish about the time the election is wrapped up...similar to how it's seemingly vanished in other countries. Translation...a lot less fear mongering will translate to less testing and seemingly(maybe actually), less cases. I'm guessing a vaccine will be given the credit but I'm also guessing we only have around 50% participation in the vaccine.

Don't get me wrong...I believe it's real. I just believe it's being used as a tool. My fear, as it relates, would be the next mutation of this bug...but I will pray it's symptom-less like many of the predecessors.
Ha, yep, then it will be time for the next “thing” or tool.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread