talk about an impaired proof coin...

Corvus

Jun 15, 2019
MN
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
...look what they did to my boy!

2010-S Mount Hood quarter. Found yesterday in one of the two rolls my credit union begrudgingly gave up. No "W" ones, of course. Reverse fields very hazed; look as if they had been sanded. No idea what the gunk on the obverse is: chewing gum and aluminum powder? Going to give it a soak in alcohol tonight, followed by the same for me.

IMG_1071.JPG IMG_1070.JPG

Upvote 0

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
Careful with assumptions. San Fran produced both proofs and business strikes. The business strikes have been exceptional almost proof-like. I chalk it up to the tiny mintage and the fact that San Fran's coin presses don't receive the wear/tear that Philly/Denver does.

OP
OP
Corvus

Corvus

Jun 15, 2019
MN
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Careful with assumptions. San Fran produced both proofs and business strikes. The business strikes have been exceptional almost proof-like. I chalk it up to the tiny mintage and the fact that San Fran's coin presses don't receive the wear/tear that Philly/Denver does.

Nope - definite proof-like surfaces. Appears the goop may have stained it a bit. I've found some "S" ones this year but none had the frost and black mirror fields.

IMG_1075.JPG

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions