Hobby or Obsession ???

coolpix9

Bronze Member
Jan 17, 2007
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey Gang, I am fast approaching my first anniversary here and several questions have come up. Being retired gives me only 25 hours a day to CRH(not enough sometimes). I am finding myself picking up pennies off the ground. I last did that over 50 years ago. There is a large fountain near my home that I pass quite often. It has become the repository of 1000's of coins. Every time I look into the fountain, I can read the dates on the Indian Heads,Buffalo Nickels,Rosies,Mercs,Walkers,Bens, etc. I believe I am starting to hallucinate about coins. There are piles of pennies,nickels, halves, and a few Ikes sitting next to my Ryedale.
Back to my questions.
#1 If this is just a hobby, why am I killing myself hauling coins back and forth from the banks?
#2 How will I know when I crossover from hobby to obsession ?

Thanks for reading my boring diatribe. Jim

Attachments

• shrunk.jpg
    shrunk.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 204
Upvote 0

Scott (Mich)

Mar 23, 2007
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When you see a beautiful teller, and all you can think of are the coins she might have...that is when it becomes an obsession :D. When your dog appears to be two floating half dollar boxes, then it's an obsession. When a truck goes by and you first see it as a Brinks truck, then it's an obsession..

Nope, not obsessed here folks heh heh.

Happy Hunting,

Scott (Mich)

GMan00001

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2006
Twin Cities, MN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
coolpix9 said:
Back to my questions.
#1 If this is just a hobby, why am I killing myself hauling coins back and forth from the banks?
#2 How will I know when I crossover from hobby to obsession ?

So long as you doing it because you enjoy it, its still a hobby. If you don't necessarily enjoy it but feel compelled to do it anyway, then it has crossed over to obsession.

Silver Stripe

Bronze Member
Jul 8, 2007
USA
I think you need to get into a 12 step program pronto- better send your silver to ME sos you won't be tempted to fall off the lil red wagon haha. There's your clue- get you a lil red wagon to haul your coins around in- you said your retired so the tellers would just think your an eccentric ole fart anyways LOL. Actually I think you need some more silver. At least you got something to keep your retired butt busy, alot of retirees fade away from boredom. HH buddy, Mark
BTW- in my opinion them pennies might just cure ya.

Silver_Fox

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Good 'Ol USA /
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 of course
When it is a hobby it is fun. When it is an obsession it is time for therapy....LOL

Attachments

• ScreenHunter_06.jpg
    ScreenHunter_06.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 194

LJ

Silver Member
Dec 23, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great post Jim.

I think it first starts out as a hobby....then slowly turns into obsession....just can't get enough of those silver coins....ha!

Personally, I started treating it like a job.....after a while it just wore me down(burnout)......I had to take a break from it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions