Beautiful 1983 Kennedy Half Dollar Excellent Die Clash!

SamAdams

Tenderfoot
Sep 23, 2020
NH, USA
Detector(s) used
Generic
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this one last year, definitely my best find. One of my favorite coins! :laughing7::hello2::headbang:

DIE CLASH 2.jpg
DIE CLASH1.jpg
DIE CLASH 3.jpg

Anyone else have one of these? Not sure its value or rarity at all, but its a treasure nonetheless! :thumbsup:

Upvote 0

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SWEET-- and- the usual suspect---the '83-P ANYTHING---think the staff slept thru their shift that year

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
Please tell me specifically what I am looking at and for.

Look at the obverse and you will note the wing tip of the eagle off Kennedy's nose and the rays radiating behind the eagle showing under Kennedy's chin. You have to think of the die alignment and the eagle will be inverse to Kennedy. At some point in the minting, a planchet was not fed causing the the die to strike each other imparting elements of their design onto each other.

Owassokie

Jun 28, 2012
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is really awesome! I really wish I would have been looking for this back in the day. I know that in a 3 year span, I looked at well over a million halves and never looked for this. I did find the 88 rotated die, a ton of DDOs, and wasted a bunch of time looking at the fg initials on the backs of certain years. I also waisted a lot of time weighing coins hoping for an incorrect planchet. If I had it to do over, I would have looked for cuds and clashes.

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
That is really awesome! I really wish I would have been looking for this back in the day. I know that in a 3 year span, I looked at well over a million halves and never looked for this. I did find the 88 rotated die, a ton of DDOs, and wasted a bunch of time looking at the fg initials on the backs of certain years. I also waisted a lot of time weighing coins hoping for an incorrect planchet. If I had it to do over, I would have looked for cuds and clashes.

I like to think of it as an evolution as hunter. It is easy for anyone to open rolls and search for a silver rim. Then, hunters realize that some rims aren't as evident to the naked eye and they begin to listen for the tell-tale ring. But sadly, that is the extent of evolution to some hunters. It is fine when the silver is flowing as it is justifiable to overlook varieties/errors in the efficiency of hunting volume. But as we all know, the hunting isn't what it used to be as it pertains to culling silver. But as hunters, we have a unique opportunity in the volume of coins that we handle. Educating oneself on varieties/errors, it expands the opportunity to have a successful and rewarding hunt.

Tommybuckets

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2015
Bodymore, Metalland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal, Safari, Garrett infinium, Whites prizm 4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wowsers. Nice one. I used to collect errors. I put them away but without great labelling skills I forgot what's what and just have a bag of random stuff I put aside. Some are pretty obvious but others I can't remember why I saved them. Only the best are labelled in bags.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread