Primary Interest:
Other
Upvote 0

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know but maybe put in saltwater bath that might give them a tarnish?

Molewacker

Bronze Member
Feb 9, 2015
Yacolt WA
Detector(s) used
EQ 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hard boiled egg yolk in baggie with silver will tarnish - the sulfur in the yolk causes it

LooseChange

Sep 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It might be fun to try different tonings. But, whether it is cleaned, artificially toned, or naturally tarnished, the only value is ASW.
Only spend time on it if you get enjoyment out of it.

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
they will never be worth money as a collectible as cleaning removes a silver layer and you can tell under magnification

for looks, put them in a manila envelope and leave them for 10 or 15 years and they will naturally tone

Scott (Mich)

Mar 23, 2007
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The only thing I can think of doing is to carry them around in your pocket for a while, until they get a bit more circulated, but as others have mentioned, you'll be losing silver. (I wonder if anyone has ever tried putting pieces of cloth in a tumbler with the coins and doing it that way?, to speed up what we think of as normal circulation wear)

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Put them in one of the old Whitman coin folders for a few years. Guaranteed to turn those dimes looking good as circulated. It’s the outgassing of acids in the book/glue. I’ve bought a few filled books off eBay from time to time. The key is to catch the dimes before verdigris and heavy tarnish/spotting sets in.

LooseChange

Sep 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just put them on the stack.
When you convert your junk silver, they'll count the same with or without the "fake" luster.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread