Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
I can go to my LCS and be paid a minimum of 100% profit on a common wheat. Not that I do.

Where else can I make an easy 100%?

Poor Mans Gold

Feb 13, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I've been CRH since 1963. What ever I find, I do not sell. I keep it for the future. As of now I have 32 bags of 1940-1958 Wheaties. Each bag has 5,000 cents. The 1909-1939 Wheaties I place in a clean pretzel jugs. They hold about 15,000. Two of them are filled. Number 3 is about 75% full. They only coins I don't save are the ones in very poor condition.

Rosco53

Mar 17, 2018
Bryant, WI
Detector(s) used
Tracker IV (hobby lobby 40% off ;-) )
Primary Interest:
Other
If you don't get it...don't keep them. Simple as that. There's no wrong way to do this hobby. Some people like wheaties and enjoy finding them, some don't. Don't worry about what others do, and for the love of god don't try to find reason in it :-p. I've gone through and culled my collection a few times, narrowing down my focus. Some of the ones I've put back, others may be happy to find, more power to 'em, they just weren't for me. I don't get the fascination with the error cents. Neat to find, sure, but to me they're "meh". I'd rather find a nice old coin any day, even if its just an old wheat. The endless possibilities of the coin's story: where its gone, whos handled it, what it was spent on, what it was worth, how many times its been spent/saved/lost/deposited/found/etc... Maybe it was someone's lucky coin during a war, maybe it affect someone's life on a simple flip, maybe it made someone smile just finding it on the ground... Maybe its only in circulation because someone passed away and their family got rid of it again. Just find that cool, and the older the coin, the cooler those possibilities. 100+ yo wheat coins are tangible pieces of history to me and fascinating.

OP
OP
S

Siwash

May 31, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK, thanks for the responses. Now I get it.

And of course, they look medallionic, since current cents are struck thin like tokens.

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can go to my LCS and be paid a minimum of 100% profit on a common wheat. Not that I do.

Where else can I make an easy 100%?

that's what I do,

then the early ones in super condition get sold on Ebay for up to $15:laughing7:. wheat errors sell for up to $20:hello2:---- so toss em back, I'll gladly pay you 1 cent for a wheat. the green dug ones are..................... well, JUNK:BangHead:

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Rosco, I love your logic of collecting coins. Every old coin is a piece of someone's history. Imagine the guys that go MD in an old field where once was a farm house, a civil war battle, someone sleeping under a tree many many years ago. The who what where of that coin. Wouldn't it be nice if in the future they can extract a DNA from a coin, then that would really make everyone's collection VERY INTERESTING.

Rosco53

Mar 17, 2018
Bryant, WI
Detector(s) used
Tracker IV (hobby lobby 40% off ;-) )
Primary Interest:
Other
Rosco, I love your logic of collecting coins. Every old coin is a piece of someone's history. Imagine the guys that go MD in an old field where once was a farm house, a civil war battle, someone sleeping under a tree many many years ago. The who what where of that coin. Wouldn't it be nice if in the future they can extract a DNA from a coin, then that would really make everyone's collection VERY INTERESTING.

Won't lie, some of the stuff I've seen on coins, I don't wanna get the DNA from. Better off not knowing what it is ;-) Hoping to get back into CRH eventually, my bank's lobby is still closed though, and family health concerns have me not quite as comfortable bringing in quantities of coin... Been a lot more lately, got into rock hounding a little, want to do some research over the winter and maybe try for some native american/fur trade artifacts in the spring...

Johnnybravo300

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2016
South of Gunnison, Gold Basin
Detector(s) used
F2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I pull the copper and nickel out of my change as any man should.
The copper cents and nickels are worth keeping. Any nickels new or old I keep.
I dont know why.
The wheaties are tossed into my "special" penny container.
I dont know why I do this.
I'm not a hoarder of either copper or nickel but I keep those. The wheats bring back memories as a kid I saw them all the time in the 70s.

The stacker and coin guy in me wont let it go haha. Even one cent!

Last edited:

jrf30

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
CO, AZ
Detector(s) used
dfx, Ryedale!
I'll give you 2 cents a penny for them. that's the 100% gain others are talking about. Why? Can't tell you. Just like them. :-)

That's the reason we collect them. Just because we like them.

OP
OP
S

Siwash

May 31, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
God, you guys slay me!!!

It's perking up my longstanding, life-long Inner Miser!

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is easy , they are a classic design ,obsolete copper coin - that features a great man ,and president.
They also completely outclass the miserable zinc trash we have now ..easy to find the answers to this question !

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions