Best dimes find I have ever had - unbelievable

CJ9

Dec 15, 2018
NYC area
Primary Interest:
Other
Went into bank this afternoon - got $35 of CWR dimes and $6 of nickels. That was all the dimes they had immediately available.

When I got home this evening, I couldn't believe my eyes. Clearly my best find of the year.

6 rolls (the ones with the diamond logo) were nearly all solid silver and the other roll was all clad.

dimes 11-2a.jpg

In all, 256 roosevelt and 6 merc dimes (the halves were used to prop the coins up). There were even 4 extra dimes in total in the rolls.

dimes 11-2b.jpg dimes 11-2c.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Upvote 0

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unbelievable, Congrats!

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I really think people are turning in saved coins they inherited but didn't know why they were special to Grandma and Grandpa. I actually think now is probably the best time to CRH.

Wildcat1750

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2012
Western CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO/Ace 250w8.5x11" DD Coil/
Garrett Pro-Pointer/Garrett Pro-Pointer AT/
Vibra-Tector 730/
Radio Shack Discovery 1000 (Tracker IV)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well done! :occasion14:

Kantuckkeean

Bronze Member
Apr 30, 2009
Cornfield, IN
Detector(s) used
F-22, cheapo pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I really think people are turning in saved coins they inherited but didn't know why they were special to Grandma and Grandpa. I actually think now is probably the best time to CRH.

With all of the job losses and hard times caused by the coronavirus, I wouldn’t doubt for an instant that a bunch of collections are being dumped so that folks can pay rent or even put another meal on the table.

Kindest regards,
Kantuck

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With all of the job losses and hard times caused by the coronavirus, I wouldn’t doubt for an instant that a bunch of collections are being dumped so that folks can pay rent or even put another meal on the table.

Kindest regards,
Kantuck

But why would they do it for face value unless they don't know what they have. Actually sad if they are in dire need of money and they are giving money away they could have used.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
But why would they do it for face value unless they don't know what they have. Actually sad if they are in dire need of money and they are giving money away they could have used.
You nailed it. A large majority of folks have not used cash in years. I do, and I observe. Perhaps all of the younger generation have never used cash. They wouldn’t even know there’s a difference.

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A lot of younger people ( 30 or less) have no idea that we ever had silver coins ( much less gold) and they also have no idea that our 1 cent coins are zinc ! So they will turn in rolls of silver halves, quarters ,dimes and obsolete coins of all kinds - for face value ! Never insult them , they are a valuable part of our CRH teams !

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Go back today and try to get as many rolls as you can of 10, 25 & 50 centers
you never know what they brought in.
are there other banks very close? try there too.

Barrydang

Sep 2, 2019
alabama
Detector(s) used
minelab, fisher
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gotta start going to your bank! Nice score for you. Very good timing! This is why I will buy cwr at the store I work at I just havnt been that lucky! Happy hunting!

OP
OP
C

CJ9

Dec 15, 2018
NYC area
Primary Interest:
Other

I agree, I think a lot of people don't know what they have. Frankly, I also think that a lot of people just don't care or want to be bothered selling them for silver value - think about getting handed some loose silver halves from a teller (especially if they are Franklin or Walkers - not even the same design as the standard clad JFK) - I can't imagine that someone in that bank doesn't know that they are not common - they can just google it on the spot and find out.

I can't imagine that this was someone needing a quick $35 (instead of selling it to a dealer for $350-$400). In these parts, $35 doesn't get you very far - maybe 2 large pizzas.

OP
OP
C

CJ9

Dec 15, 2018
NYC area
Primary Interest:
Other
Go back today and try to get as many rolls as you can of 10, 25 & 50 centers
you never know what they brought in.
are there other banks very close? try there too.[/QUOTE

I asked for halves yesterday and they had $1 loose - clad
That was all the dimes they had on hand - so I figure I got whatever they had.
I didn't ask for quarters, and I wasn't able to go back today - but this is in a high volume area - so my guess is that if there were quarters, they are long gone (and probably so before I was there).

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
pay a dollar store with an IKE---
"is this real money?"
"manager to register 2":laughing9: