SLQ quarters, date question.

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Was going through several hundred of my SLQs, many of which have no dates. However I have 5 with NO DATES of the NO STARS Var#1, one is an S so that makes it automatically an 1917-S, the other 4 are P (no mm). Is there a way to determine if they are either a 1916P or 1917P just by some little difference in the design, (shield, drapery, etc).

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Dozer D

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Don, thanks for the SLQ educ info. As hard as I try to make my four dateless SLQs as 1916, I'm to assume that they are only 1917P's. I've narrowed my sites on the drapery on her right foot ( as per info on educ), however I only see one of the coins without the extra hair strand from behind the helmet. Of coarse my luck could not be that real to have a DATELESS 1916. Attached are the obv & rev of my 5 coins.
If any EXPERTS out there think that the 4 coins are real 1916's, please pipe in.
Thanks again Don for the Educ info site, appreciate it.
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1606069310.392327.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1606069334.479423.jpg
These coins have not seen the light of day since at least 1987 when my dad passed away. We would spend hours each week on the collection.

I still have about another 150 SLQs to check out that my dad left me, maybe I'll have some luck there.

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Dozer,
I have ten of these coins (one is an 'S') collected in circulation during the 50s. All mine have distinctive rivets on the shield (as do yours). I've assumed mine are all 1917 for that reason. I'll let my kids or grandkids research further if they wish after I'm gone.
Don.......

OP
OP
Dozer D

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
It's too bad that modern technology could not be able to do an X-ray of some sort of the coin to read pressure pressed density on the metal to get an image of year. It would in this case of dateless SLQs and Buffaloes. Maybe in the future........

Tommybuckets

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2015
Bodymore, Metalland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal, Safari, Garrett infinium, Whites prizm 4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like where you're head is! I've been doing coin and artifact x-rays for years. Its the perk of working with a digital x-ray machine. The challenge is that both sides of the coin are superimposed onto one another in the resulting image making identification tough and small details hard to see. Imagine a modern quarter- the upside down eagle is on Washingtons head and the thicker parts of the coin combine, making it tough to distinguish any relevant details. I have a lump of 28 shipwreck coins held together with a matrix of nails and the pictures are awesome but it didn't shed any light on the type of coins.
Steve of PA posted a great article (as he always does) of how in the old days an expert heated an unidentifiable coin (in the story it was a shipwreck coin) in the fireplace until it was glowing hot and the details such as bust, date etc would present themselves and reveal the provenance of the coin. The energy given off in that scenario is first infrared, then becomes far red until it reaches red as perceived by our eyes as glowing. I would postulate that with the correct energy input, and a decent infrared camera ( most home security systems with " low light" capabilities) we could dial this in and come up with a decent technique to ID latent details without needing to subject the coin to undue thermal stress like the coin in the article. Basically i love physics, I am bored and you gave me a great idea to play with. I'll let you know if i can find any literature on the subject and I'll run a few tests n let you know what i get.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread