Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
I’ve never seen so many banks closing, 2 more of the same branch this week, within a few miles of each other. I don’t use them any more, but’s it’s still sad to see a lot of my pickup and dump banks shutting down. I haven’t even been in my CU in months as the lobbies of all bank/CU unavailable (except by appt).

Upvote 0

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Been happening here for years. I moved here four years ago. I went to the local BofA to transfer my 25+ year account and and tole the teller and she almost started crying. That morning everyone had been given their notice. BofA was closing in my county. That only left 4 four banks. That building has been sitting empty for four years now.

On a lighter note I am hoping they tear down the building and parking. In the late 1800's that area was our "Chinatown" complete with brothels and bars (and probably opium dens too) but the white folks in town had a town meeting and decided to run out all the Chinese and actually did it. The gold miners were jealous of all the gold these guys were getting from the claims that they had sold the Chinese after they thought they were worked out. I want to bring my XLT out of retirement and hunt that area completely.

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
Been happening here for years. I moved here four years ago. I went to the local BofA to transfer my 25+ year account and and tole the teller and she almost started crying. That morning everyone had been given their notice. BofA was closing in my county. That only left 4 four banks. That building has been sitting empty for four years now.

On a lighter note I am hoping they tear down the building and parking. In the late 1800's that area was our "Chinatown" complete with brothels and bars (and probably opium dens too) but the white folks in town had a town meeting and decided to run out all the Chinese and actually did it. The gold miners were jealous of all the gold these guys were getting from the claims that they had sold the Chinese after they thought they were worked out. I want to bring my XLT out of retirement and hunt that area completely.

Even with my bad knees that would get my Garrett 2500 out of retirement

KEYSHUNTER

Sep 29, 2007
florida keys
Detector(s) used
;whites dual PI
Yup where i live BofA closed 2 locations the only one left was a 40 minute drive on a good day,i pulled out and they were whywhywhy,had to make appoinment..it was like a bad breakup...

Buchsy

Oct 14, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm noticing a number of borderline bank branches closing - M&T, Chase and B of A. TD isn't closing any and neither are some of the local banks. More are refusing to order boxes and fewer are taking halves and Ikes from customers. It may be the beginning of "digital cash."

Clad2Silver

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2018
Eastern Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max/ Garrett AT Pro/ Garrett Ace 400/ Garrett Pro Pointer 2 / Garrett Z-Lynk AT Propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The McDonald's in my hometown is open. You can get your food inside or at the drive-thru but you can't eat inside. Donut shops are drive-thru or order inside then take it out. Banks are drive-thru only unless you make an appointment. Restaurants are open for indoor dining at a limited capacity. Coin shortage? What coin shortage? No problem with that here. Some of the things the governor has come out with make no sense whatsoever........

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm noticing a number of borderline bank branches closing - M&T, Chase and B of A. TD isn't closing any and neither are some of the local banks. More are refusing to order boxes and fewer are taking halves and Ikes from customers. It may be the beginning of "digital cash."

I worry about digital cash as big brother can monitor everything you buy and sell, also it suddenly becomes easy to shut you off if you disagree with the state

Also it would kill coin collecting, just like email and texts have killed the stamp hobby

OP
OP
fistfulladirt

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
I worry about digital cash as big brother can monitor everything you buy and sell, also it suddenly becomes easy to shut you off if you disagree with the state

Also it would kill coin collecting, just like email and texts have killed the stamp hobby
Is that news? From what I’ve read, roughly half the US does not use cash on a daily basis. Sales and purchases are already monitored and have been for years, as with unauthorized access to financial info/accounts. It does seem to be accelerating.

srcdco

Dec 11, 2006
Western NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab Nox-800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can't you order boxes and make an appointment to pick them up?

Also, do people mean closed permanently or closed just until lockdown is over?

I wish I could, but the branch manager says it isn't important enough business to let me in the lobby. So I wait.

The branch itself isn't closed, just the lobby for foot traffic. You can make an appointment if you need to use your safety deposit box and businesses can get coin, since they aren't closed down this time, but pretty much anything else is via drive-thru, ATM, or online.

Scott

TheMastermind

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
Pennsy
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've noticed a bunch of big banks closing branches in my area. Wells Fargo closed two just within the last three months.

First Bank and a small community bank that operates sort of like a credit union each closed a branch in my area as well.

TheMastermind

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
Pennsy
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've noticed a bunch of big banks closing branches in my area. Wells Fargo closed two just within the last three months.

First Bank and a small community bank that operates sort of like a credit union each closed a branch in my area as well.

ckrakowski

May 7, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My branch I have been going to since my normal branch is undergoing renovations I think, is closing on dec. 11th.

They are going to open on dec 14th at their new location.

Their new location is less than 100 feet from their current location.

They are literally going from one end of the parking lot to the other end.

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gross. Wouldn’t let my dog eat Mcfood.

I hadn't been to a McD for over a decade but on our way to Coin Beach DE last year, Smokey pulled into one and suggested the crispy buttermilk fried chicken sandwich. It was outstanding, IMO, better than the Popeye's chicken sandwich or the Chick-fil-A version (both of which I like). Sometimes, we old dogs can learn new tricks.

OP
OP
fistfulladirt

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
I hadn't been to a McD for over a decade but on our way to Coin Beach DE last year, Smokey pulled into one and suggested the crispy buttermilk fried chicken sandwich. It was outstanding, IMO, better than the Popeye's chicken sandwich or the Chick-fil-A version (both of which I like). Sometimes, we old dogs can learn new tricks.
I’m not a fan of fast food but a Popeye’s is going up here in town, a first. I also hear the McRib is coming back after 8 years...might have to try a Popeyes to see what all the shooting’s about :laughing7: :tongue3:

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Think about it...

Its not just about the virus IMO... its a security issue.

IF I owned a branch the last thing I would want is masked individuals inside it.

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Think about it...

IF I owned a branch the last thing I would want is masked individuals inside it.

Last time I visited my credit union I said to the girl teller that I feel real funny putting on a mask before entering the bank. I got a half hearted giggle and asked if she heard that before. she said yes many times.

I went into my real bank last week and was number 4 or 5 in line, almost out the door. In walks this guy with something wrapped all around his head and face. There was only a thin slit showing his eyes. No problem but he walks past everyone and right up to a teller that is helping someone. Uh oh I think and my 9MM is at home. I used to be a sheriff and everything about him told me he is not a church going individual. Then he touched the lady customer and I could hear him say "is everything OK?" she nodded and he left the bank. Oh darn no excitement today.

ckrakowski

May 7, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Think about it...

Not true for me.

The branches I go in have signs on the doors telling people if they want to enter they must wear a mask.

Let me guess you are one of the people who thinks the virus is a hoax.

Clad2Silver

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2018
Eastern Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max/ Garrett AT Pro/ Garrett Ace 400/ Garrett Pro Pointer 2 / Garrett Z-Lynk AT Propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

I'm not surprised that some banks are closing some of their branch banks. In my area there are way more banks than people have money for.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not true for me.

The branches I go in have signs on the doors telling people if they want to enter they must wear a mask.

Let me guess you are one of the people who thinks the virus is a hoax.

Pretty far reaching assumption you've made... but from how... what... and why would you guess that from my statement ?

Welp... you assumed wrong... FOR... I am one of the ones who had it... or so I think.

As far as wearing masks in a Florida bank goes... remember Florida is "the wild wild east" heh

But in all likelihood...

I think the main reason they are closed here ... well I am not sure all branches are but I know many are... is because of the amount of traffic a typical branch would see here in a single day.

Banks are a prime breading ground for covid... close proximity to tellers... and passing items back and forth etc.

Liability issues may exist as well.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread