Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
I’ve never seen so many banks closing, 2 more of the same branch this week, within a few miles of each other. I don’t use them any more, but’s it’s still sad to see a lot of my pickup and dump banks shutting down. I haven’t even been in my CU in months as the lobbies of all bank/CU unavailable (except by appt).

Upvote 0

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My local McDonald's closed. I'm in mourning.

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yup....I'd be way more upset at McDonald's closing than the bank !! Our McDonald's is on a partial menu.....WTF !! by going to a partial menu we will defeat covid ???????? Say what ?? Excuses excuses......any excuse to not work to much.......there gonna make me switch to BK.....They haven't missed a beat !!

OP
OP
fistfulladirt

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Yup....I'd be way more upset at McDonald's closing than the bank !! Our McDonald's is on a partial menu.....WTF !! by going to a partial menu we will defeat covid ???????? Say what ?? Excuses excuses......any excuse to not work to much.......there gonna make me switch to BK.....They haven't missed a beat !!
Gross. Wouldn’t let my dog eat Mcfood.

maine_Jim

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2008
Detector(s) used
Ace 350
I do admit I kinda like their chocolate shakes and fries. I liked that movie about McDonalds where they describe how they decided to take all the milk out of the shake and just make it all chemicals. I wonder what is really in there but they do taste good...anyways banks are closing here also plus tons of businesses. One of my interns at work was in quarantine for 11 days after being exposed to someone who tested positive for Covid. He tested ok twice but then he started feeling sick. On the 12th day he tested positive. A couple days later he couldn't taste anything and now he has a bad cough and can't get out of bed. It hasn't hit his breathing yet, if that happens he is in trouble. Don't buy the phony political crap happening this thing is serious and it can get anyone. He is 22 and was perfectly healthy until this. He caught it from his step-farther who had a bit a of cough. I'm just getting sick of this crap and hope they can take the politics out of this and get working together. We can already see what not working together has gotten us...

Maine_Jim

OP
OP
fistfulladirt

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
I do admit I kinda like their chocolate shakes and fries. I liked that movie about McDonalds where they describe how they decided to take all the milk out of the shake and just make it all chemicals. I wonder what is really in there but they do taste good...anyways banks are closing here also plus tons of businesses. One of my interns at work was in quarantine for 11 days after being exposed to someone who tested positive for Covid. He tested ok twice but then he started feeling sick. On the 12th day he tested positive. A couple days later he couldn't taste anything and now he has a bad cough and can't get out of bed. It hasn't hit his breathing yet, if that happens he is in trouble. Don't buy the phony political crap happening this thing is serious and it can get anyone. He is 22 and was perfectly healthy until this. He caught it from his step-farther who had a bit a of cough. I'm just getting sick of this crap and hope they can take the politics out of this and get working together. We can already see what not working together has gotten us...

Maine_Jim
I hope he makes it through ok. I have several relatives including my elderly mother in law that has Lupus and a cancer patient and my younger brother that have escaped it with headaches and sniffles for a few days. Well, the good thing is that the common cold and flu have pretty much disappeared off the charts.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I didn't go there much. But it has been here since the 1970's. The one lady worked there for over 25 years and she was there to the end. Hope she was old enough and had enough money to retire. Stinks losing a job in your 60's. She is the reason I'm sorry its gone.

blueberra

Oct 15, 2009
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Deus XP
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I’ve never seen so many banks closing, 2 more of the same branch this week, within a few miles of each other. I don’t use them any more, but’s it’s still sad to see a lot of my pickup and dump banks shutting down. I haven’t even been in my CU in months as the lobbies of all bank/CU unavailable (except by appt).

My dump bank was closed early in the pandemic
then open by appointment only
then fully open
then open via appointment only (because the town was declared a COVID 'hot spot')
then fully open
now open via appointment only (because an employee was diagnosed with COVID)

My acquisition bank (where I get a weekly half-dollar box) was closed early in the pandemic and has been open by appointment only since.

maine_Jim

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2008
Detector(s) used
Ace 350
I've just given up with it until this is over. Not worth the time and I guess others may be doing the same. I keep getting tempted as I drive by banks that were my regular stops but think better of it. I need a delivery service and dump pick-up service!

Maine_Jim

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
I keep hearing about people dumping silver halves and I want to get boxes and boxes of them but my family doesn't want me to as I could be exposed to the virus, they say a few hundred dollars in silver isn't worth the risk...

I have been sneaking to get quarters once in a while but if they find out the virus will be the least of my problems

Immy

Silver Member
Mar 12, 2005
Vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I keep hearing about people dumping silver halves and I want to get boxes and boxes of them but my family doesn't want me to as I could be exposed to the virus, they say a few hundred dollars in silver isn't worth the risk...

You've been saying this for awhile now Ben.

I hope you're not insinuating that your family is actively preventing you from leaving the house. With proper PPEs and absent an official lockdown order, anyone who is healthy has free will to leave their home whenever they want, even if you're in a high risk group. Your family can advise that you stay home but they can't - or at least shouldn't - enforce it.

I have been sneaking to get quarters once in a while but if they find out the virus will be the least of my problems

Um, what?? This sounds rather alarming. Are you in some kind of actual danger from over-reacting family members?

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Blink twice if you're being held against your will, the SWAT team is standing by to help you.

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
I am doing what I must for family peace. Our youngest son died 4 years ago at age 29 and our middle son almost died from pneumonia and he is very afraid of Covid-19 and my wife feels much the same way. I am in a very high risk group, having had a stroke and on blood thinners, high BP, overweight, heart issues etc. I am doing what I can to keep from having WWIII in the house. Also this time of year, our son died Dec 6th I don't want to get my wife anymore upset than she already is.
The only two things I am not able to do are boxes of half dollars and going shooting at the range with my AR15 and 45/70's. I am still able as I said get some CWR's and do my other hobbies, the biggest one is photography - I go to several ponds every day to take pictures of birds in flight check out my website www.jeffpadell.com also I am doing solar astronomy from my backyard, taking pictures of the surface of the sun check out http://www.solarhead.net also I am working on my genealogy, my HO train set in the basement, my coin collection, stamp collection, building metal ship models (1/1200 and 1/2400 scales) also working on astro deep sky imaging with remote telescopes in the Canary Islands and Chile (working on the Astronomical League awards). Oh and I almost forgot Scrollsawing Christmas ornaments, reloading ammunition, writing a memior (for the kids someday)

I guess I have a few hobbies (I think I might have forgotten one or two).

I am just sure that I am missing silver...

EwiwZB6l.jpg

rwDpz1cl.jpg

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excellent photos! Don't take my joke wrong. As long as you're not sitting in the corner vegetating lifes good! After I got out of the hospital last December family about drove me nuts. I'm above ground, don't need the walker so now the hard part, convincing them I can do things, just a lot slower.

What equipment are you using for your solar photography? Are you using the silver filter? Jeeze haven't had my telescope out since the last solar eclipse.

Glad you're doing well!

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
I have 3 solar setups, a Lunt LS50, LS80 and a Quark Chromosphere, I do H-alpha, not white light (the silver filter). I have 2 ZWO ASI174mm cameras.
For land photography I use Canon's. I have a 90D, 7DII, 5D classic, 6DII and 5DIV, and about 20 lenses up to 600mm

I am so busy I don't have time to do half of my hobbies! I just think of the silver I am missing! But at the same time my main love is photography (both land and astronomy) followed by shooting.

Here is one of my solar images

9SglQLqh.jpg

Tommybuckets

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2015
Bodymore, Metalland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal, Safari, Garrett infinium, Whites prizm 4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep the banks are closing. I see many lost pickup banks and my fav dump banks closed. I used to churn through up to $2000 a week. Last week I did $395, multiple small half/ dime cwrs and got 0 silvers. Its pretty frustrating but back to detecting.

srcdco

Dec 11, 2006
Western NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab Nox-800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Over the last 3 weeks, I was finally able to get my boxes back and get back to trading. Then yesterday afternoon at 3:30, I got an email from my bank (Community Bank, N.A.) saying that effective today, all branch lobbies are closed again, except by appointment. Back to waiting. So frustrating.

Scott

Immy

Silver Member
Mar 12, 2005
Vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can't you order boxes and make an appointment to pick them up?

Also, do people mean closed permanently or closed just until lockdown is over?

OP
OP
fistfulladirt

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Can't you order boxes and make an appointment to pick them up?

Also, do people mean closed permanently or closed just until lockdown is over?
Hard to say, at least in my state. I expect rolling intermittent or hard lockdowns coming for who knows how long. I also think there was a glut of banks in my area and of course they will consolidate w/layoffs. Several of the branches that my wife’s aunt works at were within less than a quarter mile apart.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread