Another visit to Stone Mountain!

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
In October of 1986, I flew Eastern Airlines from Newark to Atlanta to visit friends in the Atlanta area. I stayed with a friend who was a huge Met fan and we watched the World Series together. Late in Game 6, the Mets were down to their last strike at least three times but fought their way back and stayed alive long enough for Bill Buckner to make the error for which he'll always be remembered. My friend went from despondent to shedding monstrous tears of joy as "The ball gets behind Buckner!" and Ray Knight scored the winning run. I was on an airplane back to Newark for Game 7. During my visit, we went to Stone Mountain, a huge carving in stone that honors the Confederacy; it's an amazing sight. Please, let's not get into that whole ordeal of an argument. I may have known, as a coin collector, that there was a commemorative half made for Stone Mountain and yesterday I got proof! Here it is, in all its beauty, from a machine roll and 1925.

Attachments

• IMG_3426.JPG
    IMG_3426.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 130
  • IMG_3427.JPG
    IMG_3427.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 90
Upvote 0

TheWalrus

Oct 7, 2014
Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great score, I have had less than 4 oz this entire year, a bunch of NIFC clad, I would love to have found that NIFC.

CJ9

Dec 15, 2018
NYC area
Primary Interest:
Other
Great find - finding commemoratives is great.

I found the same coin back in September.

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the great find and damn you to hell for that awful true story and Red Sox memory.

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nobody hated the ‘86 Mets more than me! They were 17-1 against my Pirates.

Everybody remembers Buckner's error (and he should have been replaced on D by Dave Stapleton) - but few remember the blown save by Bob Stanley and wild pitch that allowed Mookie Wilson to score the tying run. I actually liked Bob Stanley and met him at an Orioles AA game at Bowie MD about 20 years later. He was actually the pitching coach at the time, for guess who - the Mets AA team. I told him about being a Sox fan since the early 60's, the '67 WS and we avoided that '86 game altogether. I knew he had heard about it a million times. Instead we talked about Ted Williams who fished with my dad and my memory of attending his baseball camp in lakeville ma.

With the Sox up in that game, I was prematurely celebrating the first Sox world championship since 1918 with a treasure hunting partner, and knew when they lost that game 6 that it was over, even though the series was technically tied. Some things you never forget.

Great half - I'd love to find one.

Last edited:
OP
OP
halfdime

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Everybody remembers Buckner's error (and he should have been replaced on D by Dave Stapleton) - but few remember the blown save by Bob Stanley and wild pitch that allowed Mookie Wilson to score the tying run. I actually liked Bob Stanley and met him at an Orioles AA game at Bowie MD about 20 years later. He was actually the pitching coach at the time, for guess who - the Mets AA team. I told him about being a Sox fan since the early 60's, the '67 WS and we avoided that '86 game altogether. I knew he had heard about it a million times. Instead we talked about Ted Williams who fished with my dad and my memory of attending his baseball camp in lakeville ma.

With the Sox up in that game, I was prematurely celebrating the first Sox world championship since 1918 with a treasure hunting partner, and knew when they lost that game 6 that it was over, even though the series was technically tied. Some things you never forget.

Great half - I'd love to find one.

Gedman had a bad passed ball. Stapleton should have been out there; Mcnamara played it that way all the postseason! Well, the Sox have laughed plenty since.

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great looking coin. I was born and raised in Stone Mountain, Georgia about 8 miles from the mountain. I stood at the base of the mountain as a young 8 year old alongside of my Grandfather as workers were working still on the carving. My Grandfather proudly explained to me that his Grandfather served under those on the carving, President Jefferson Davis, Geneneral Robert E. Lee, and General "Stonewall" Jackson during the American Civil War. My Great Great Grandfather was a Private in the 44th Georgia Volunteer Infantry Co. D' Army of Northern Virginia. I will Never forget that day. A proud day for both of us. Now they wish to Destroy this Monument or Carving to those who served the Confederacy. But we Wii Never Forget them and their Sacrifices. Sacrifices made on the part of the Confederacy and the Union helped to forge our country back together again and make our country stronger.

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As much as that game hurt, I never hated the Mets although Knight had a big mouth. They did not cheat or play dirty. I saved my baseball hatred for the team that most deserved it - the Yankees, aka evil empire. They were not above violently ending an opposing player's career with dirty play (Bill Lee in 1976 by Graig Nettles for example and the vile Mickey Rivers). I reserved some hatred for the Angels for ending the career of Tony Conigliaro on 8-18-67, a date that lives in infamy among Sox fans, to paraphrase FDR. I was at that game in the cheap $1 bleacher seats with my little league team. The team shared one pair of binoculars provided by our coach and passed them around each half inning and I had them on Tony C when Jack Hamilton's fastball smashed into his eye socket. I believe big Don Mincher of the Angels hit two HRs to center not far from us in that game. The Mets did in 1986 what any team should do - take full advantage of their opponents mistakes.

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great looking coin. I was born and raised in Stone Mountain, Georgia about 8 miles from the mountain. I stood at the base of the mountain as a young 8 year old alongside of my Grandfather as workers were working still on the carving. My Grandfather proudly explained to me that his Grandfather served under those on the carving, President Jefferson Davis, Geneneral Robert E. Lee, and General "Stonewall" Jackson during the American Civil War. My Great Great Grandfather was a Private in the 44th Georgia Volunteer Infantry Co. D' Army of Northern Virginia. I will Never forget that day. A proud day for both of us. Now they wish to Destroy this Monument or Carving to those who served the Confederacy. But we Wii Never Forget them and their Sacrifices. Sacrifices made on the part of the Confederacy and the Union helped to forge our country back together again and make our country stronger.

While my own ancestors and those of your own, of which you are rightly proud, were on opposing sides, my hope is that we can discuss issues with civility. I would hunt with you anytime (hey, I even found a GMI button this past spring in PA). Some of my family, staunch abolitionists, hosted Frederick Douglas, while others in the family shunned them and that continues to this day. I saw the march at Stone Mountain this past July 4 or 5 and got the impression that the demonstration was about the history of white supremacists, including the KKK, using the site for years to spread their hatred. I did not get the impression that the Stone Mtn march was about disrespecting soldiers who gave their lives for what they believed.

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
While I have always been proud of my Southern heritage, I regret that this Civil War ever occurred. What a price that was paid. Well over 620,000 American lives lost, the country was ripped apart, literally a war of Brother against Brother. These fools running around today shouting Civil War don't know what they are talking about. Be careful for what you wish, you just might get it. I Respect those men and both Armies that fought during the war. In the beginning they were All Americans, and in the end of that Terrible War, they were All Still Americans. I have always been an American First, and a Southerner Second. I served in the United States Marine Corps honorably for 3 years. I have always been proud of my country, and proud to call myself an American, however, I cannot say that I have been proud of our government in the last little while. I'd be proud to hunt with you, and am Proud of your Ancestors as I am of mine, and the part that they played in our American History. A very sad chapter in our Nations History. God Bless them All.

GPURS

Apr 18, 2007
N.E. of Atlanta
I also grew up about five miles from Stone Mountain just off of Memorial Drive. Thank God there are some memorials that the radical revisionists cant tear down with a rope and a pickup truck. Used to ride my bike out there, climb the mountain, fish, etc... Good times. Moved away from there years ago as the crime culture moved in...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread