Dateless Buffalo Nickels - what do you do with them?

CJ9

Dec 15, 2018
NYC area
Primary Interest:
Other
I think I have 25 or so dateless buffalo nickels, and I am wondering what to do with them. With the exception of one, they are all minted in Philadelphia - so none of them are particularly rare. Most have LIBERTY on the front partially worn off, and on the reverse, the mottos are merged into the rim. So these coins don't have any numismatic value. I haven't nic-a-dated them because 1) I don't have any nic-a-date and 2) even by doing so, it damages the coin to where there is no value.

I am thinking of re-rolling them as I dump so someone else (collector or not) can pick up a novelty. Maybe it will get some local shop owner into collecting coins when they open the roll and see it.

Upvote 0

jrf30

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
CO, AZ
Detector(s) used
dfx, Ryedale!
I use nic-a-date and see what years they are. It works absolute wonders. they are not worth much anyway, so I'm not worried about ruining the coins by using this.

DTW

Greenie
Oct 30, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My 12 y.o. son and I love to nic-a-date them. We've started a book of "date restored" Buffalo nickels, kind of like how people create a collection of low grade coins. We've actually found some rarer date/mm nickles, and although they are obviously damaged by the chemical, it does make a good hole filler, and they do have some value, albeit not nearly as much as a clean dated example. Basically, we've taken what is only worth .05, and added some value to it. Plus it's really cool to see the date reappear.

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
just sold a '17 P & D pair for $3, and not the 1st time I sold acid treated ND buffs. the bottle has more than paid for it's cost:happysmiley:

OP
OP
C

CJ9

Dec 15, 2018
NYC area
Primary Interest:
Other
They’re worth 5c to me. I’ve spent dozens or more so others can get a cheap thrill.

Thanks. This is exactly what I was thinking - they are worth 5c to me also. I just put all 20 of them that I have into a roll of nickels to be dumped. Someone around here will get that cheap thrill.

Wildcat1750

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2012
Western CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO/Ace 250w8.5x11" DD Coil/
Garrett Pro-Pointer/Garrett Pro-Pointer AT/
Vibra-Tector 730/
Radio Shack Discovery 1000 (Tracker IV)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I keep them and pass them on to young kids to get them interested in coin collecting. You'll rarely ever see them ever again in circulation.

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Maybe someone can make jewelry items from them, don't know what.

Emperor Findus Cladius

Bronze Member
Sep 2, 2004
TX
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision/V3 Spectra, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Drill holes in them and make them into buttons, dress up a shirt or jacket. Or solder a hook on the back and again use them as a button.

OP
OP
C

CJ9

Dec 15, 2018
NYC area
Primary Interest:
Other
Drill holes in them and make them into buttons, dress up a shirt or jacket. Or solder a hook on the back and again use them as a button.

They are already gone. I put all 20 of them in a roll and turned them into a bank the other day. Found another dateless buffalo today in a CWR and just rolled it back up.

TheWalrus

Oct 7, 2014
Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used to do custom leatherwork for living history shows, from Renaissance era to Black powder and Pirate days. I would make buttons and toggles out of them for the vests and pouches. I would also make jewelry such as simple necklaces and pendants. Now I save them for the scout troops working on coin collecting.

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri
I just leave them around in funny spots in public so people will find them. Gone through 3-4 full rolls. Park benches, library shelves, wherever.

OP
OP
C

CJ9

Dec 15, 2018
NYC area
Primary Interest:
Other
I just leave them around in funny spots in public so people will find them. Gone through 3-4 full rolls. Park benches, library shelves, wherever.

This is actually a good idea. I am going to begin doing this.

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Maybe someone can make jewelry items from them, don't know what.

That's right, at least re-purpose them...hey, Hobo Nickels use old Buffalo nickels for their artistic change in
appearance, mainly because the coin is heavy, with potential for a masterpiece (see attached)
hobo.JPG

SAVE THEM...!

Last edited:

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Throw in school tot lots. Will give a detectorist fits what he keeps finding dateless nickels.

I once sold a big baggy of lincoln cents, on ebay, that even coinstar would refuse. My listing was for you to throw in tot lots to payback the detectorist that keeps invading your territory or to throw in the hunting area where your next MD club is going to have their hunt.

Johncoho

Silver Member
Feb 14, 2014
Martinsburg, Pa. in the summer and Apache Junction
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT, Garrett AT Pro, Macro pinpointer, Garrett carrot pinpointer,
Lesch digger, Nel Tornado coil for ATPro, Garret ATMax with Nel Tornado coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have soaked dateless buffs that I detect in a 50 / 50 solution of peroxide and apple cider vinegar and it will bring the date back out on most of them. The only problem is they will look like new nickels.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread