2020 Totals - turned out to be a surprisingly good year for me

CJ9

Dec 15, 2018
NYC area
Primary Interest:
Other
Pandemic aside, 2020 turned out to be a very good year for me CRH-wise.
Found a total of 75.9 ounces of silver (incl. about 4.9oz from coinstars). Most came from 2 solid silver rolls of 1964 halves in Nov and Dec, and nearly 7 solid silver rolls of dimes in Nov.
I don't search boxes with the exception of an occasional box of nickels

Dollars: Silver = 0
Total searched: 193 coins: included 4 NIFC from 1973

Halves: Silver = 4.04% of total coins searched
Total searched: 3,516 coins ($1,758): 73 40%, 48 1964 JFK, 8 Franklins, 10 Walkers, 1 Barber, and 2 commemorative (Stone Mountain & Columbus)
MWR searched: 360 coins ($180): Silver = 0
CWR searched: 2,120 coins ($1,060): 29 40%, 40 1964 JFK (2 solid rolls), 4 Franklin, 8 Walkers, 1 Barber, 1 Columbus
Loose from tellers: 1,036 coins ($518): 44 40%, 8 1964 JFK, 4 Franklin, 2 Walkers, 1 Stone Mountain

Quarters: Silver = 0% from CRH
Total searched 3,880 coins: found 0
Found 16 silver quarters in a coinstar in March 2020
Found 1 1942 British 1 shilling in coinstar

Dimes: Silver = 0.1862% of coins searched
Total searched: 255,050 coins ($25,505): 422 FDR, 27 mercs, 1 swiss 1/2 franc from 1958
Found 24 FDR and 2 mercs in coinstar
Dimes included nearly 6 solid silver rolls in November (from one bank) and a completely solid silver roll in November (at a different bank not near the first bank)

Nickels:
Total searched: 106,360 coins ($5,318)
Found 46 war nickels (0.043% of total) and 12 buffalo with readable dates and 1 V Nickel (well worn)
Also, 1 1939D, 5x 1950P, and 11 dateless buffalo

Pennies:
Total searched: 74,000 coins ($740)
Found 583 wheats, and 1 IHP that was significantly corroded (cant read date)
The wheats included a solid roll of 1943 steel that a teller had saved for me.

Thank you for looking
I hope everyone had a nice holiday season, and I wish everyone HH in 2021

Upvote 0

blueberra

Oct 15, 2009
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Deus XP
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congratulations on a fantastic year.

It would appear that the key to successful CRHing is to get as much access to as many banks as you can and to cultivate relationships with the tellers and bank managers.

How many banks do you deal with and how frequently do you go? That many solid silver rolls mustn't have just happened by chance. As Branch Rickey said, "Luck is the residue of design".

How much time do you spend CRHing? Those are some big numbers of coins searched.

OP
OP
C

CJ9

Dec 15, 2018
NYC area
Primary Interest:
Other
Congratulations on a fantastic year.

It would appear that the key to successful CRHing is to get as much access to as many banks as you can and to cultivate relationships with the tellers and bank managers.

How many banks do you deal with and how frequently do you go? That many solid silver rolls mustn't have just happened by chance. As Branch Rickey said, "Luck is the residue of design".

How much time do you spend CRHing? Those are some big numbers of coins searched.

Thanks. I think the answer for me is that I live in a large, extremely densely populated area, so there are many banks within a short distance of where I live and work. For example, I just looked at the Chase website (one of the dominant banks around here) and within a radius of 5 miles of my home, there are 18 branches. I have accounts at all the larger banks in the area, so you can easily see how the number of banks adds up within a short distance, or if you expand the radius to 10 miles.

I work some 20+ miles from where I live, so that introduces a completely different set of banks to CRH from. What I typically do is at lunchtime, I will go to one or two of the banks in that area and get some $30-$50 of dimes and $4-10 of nickels at each particular bank (and ask for halves). So almost every day I am searching some amount of coins. This is how it adds up on the year. The 2 rolls of solid silver halves were at another bank near where I work.

I have only a few relationships with tellers and those are the ones in my town mostly, and some of those grew out of the coin shortage. I went into a bank in May or June that I frequent, and they wouldn't give me coins because of the shortage. I then brought in dump rolls and as that point I said that I collect coins and exchanged my dumps for other CWR and I will bring them back - they agreed, and ever since there have been 2 banks that I "eat where I dump". It was at one of these banks where I got the roll of 1943 steel cents and the other a solid roll of silver dimes. In the case of the steel cents, the teller saved them for me, but in the case of the dimes, it was totally random.

A number of other places know that I collect halves. That being said, most of the finds I have are completely random. The other 6 nearly solid silver rolls of dimes were found at a bank near where I work. Totally random. That day, I went in with $41 and asked for $35 in dimes and $6 in nickels. I don't look at the rolls until I get home, and when I got home 6 of the 7 rolls were nearly all silver.

I would say that most of my time is spent on a Saturday morning (2 1/2 hours or so) where I will go to a number of banks in the general area of where I live. I tend to break it down into 4-5 different routes, so outside of the banks a few miles from my house, I usually frequent the same bank once a month or so.

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
CJ : very impressive numbers for such a bad year to CRH. Congrats on your efforts.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread