Coin roll hunting as a living - Page 2
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: Coin roll hunting as a living

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Feb 2010
    Missouri
    2296 times
    I 'make' more that $100k just about every year CRH'ing. Generally I find like $99,850 worth of clad and like $150 worth of silver, so using idiotic math I easily find $100k worth of coins every year.
    FormerTeller and Greastart like this.

Dec 2006
    Twin Cities, MN
    Garrett Ace 250
    196 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    If you search the archives of TNet, there were entries about this years ago. By the time you subtract out gas and other expenses, your hourly wage is either negative or barely positive and that was when silver was a lot more prevalent than it is today.
    ArkieBassMan likes this.

us
    Aug 2008
    Ace 350
    347 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Funny video - I agree on the bs call. When I was a hardcore CRH 2008 - 2014 I was doing the 10k to 15k a week. I knew it was a hobby that had occasional good finds. I sold a bunch of 2009 cents as full boxes that I think went for $200 or so each so there are other ways to make a few extra bucks besides silver but they are pretty rare. I made a few thousand there. I hit a few monster boxes. I think the best was 175 90% coins. If you averaged it all out though - which I did for quite a while I was getting 3.4 silver coins per $500 of halves in the beginning but it soon went down to 2 per box. That is a long way from $100k! I found more just hitting up banks. I even had a banner here back in the day from a CRH find. No one who has done this would ever believe that video. It will get a few more people to try CRH and quickly get disappointed and quit. Perhaps he makes a few pennies from people clicking on it and watching.

Maine_Jim

Charter Member
    us
    Feb 2005
    MI USA
    Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
    4150 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by maine_Jim View Post
    Funny video - I agree on the bs call. When I was a hardcore CRH 2008 - 2014 I was doing the 10k to 15k a week. I knew it was a hobby that had occasional good finds. I sold a bunch of 2009 cents as full boxes that I think went for $200 or so each so there are other ways to make a few extra bucks besides silver but they are pretty rare. I made a few thousand there. I hit a few monster boxes. I think the best was 175 90% coins. If you averaged it all out though - which I did for quite a while I was getting 3.4 silver coins per $500 of halves in the beginning but it soon went down to 2 per box. That is a long way from $100k! I found more just hitting up banks. I even had a banner here back in the day from a CRH find. No one who has done this would ever believe that video. It will get a few more people to try CRH and quickly get disappointed and quit. Perhaps he makes a few pennies from people clicking on it and watching.

Maine_Jim
    I think you nailed it [never CRH'ed] but I can imagine the attraction for those who do - Thrill of the chase.
    To me, thats about the same as metal detecting, if I did it only to try to try to get rich and didn't actually enjoy it, I probably wouldn't do it. I set my expectations accordingly, know that I'll find 100+ pulltabs and bottecaps before I find a gold ring, and go out and have fun trying.

Jun 2012
    Oklahoma
    Equinox 800, Ace 250
    417 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    So is it possible this is true...yes, I suppose. The advice was all very sound and I feel it was truly from a CRHers perspective. But that's a lot of money. The truth is, IF (big if) they netted this kind of money, the husband/wife duo was just as skilled in selling, networking, and numismatics as they are at CRHing. Most people that truly have a gift for selling/networking aren't going to put that kind of time/effort into something when they could be using those skills to make even more money. If the story is true, there is still a misnomer here because your average CRHer will not be able to sell at this level and likely won't have the relationships/banks/location available to CRH in mass quantities. I'd love to hear some of the hard statistics about how much of each denomination and even some of the stats showing what they sold. The reason I give this a chance of being true is because you can sell lots of relatively common coins if you can find the buyers. But again, lots of time involved here and a level of skill/effort that many would not be able to meet.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links