Big Surprise

Johnny5

Feb 19, 2011
Detector(s) used
Minelabs CTX 3030, Excalibur and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I picked up my usual two boxes of half dollars at my pick up bank. The teller said be careful with this box as its opened. I didn't think nothing of it at the time. The next day I searched for open enders. None on the first box, and then I went to the other box. I opened the flap and immediately said what the f----. The whole box was customer wrapped rolls. The next day I went back to my pick up bank and they swapped it for a sealed box. he said they would return back to the courier.

I initially thought that the bank took someone dump back to this bank. She said no, but I'm still wondering how and when was the box was filled with customer wrapped rolls.

Hopefully this will never happen to me again. Has anyone else seen this happen?

Upvote 0

Avago

Jun 26, 2014
The 2nd State
Primary Interest:
Other
I've had it happen once, a sealed box from a courier full of CWR. My assumption is another hunter searched and rewrapped a box, deposited the rejects back at a bank in the empty box, and the bank sent it back to the courier redelivered it to me as-is. I will say, some of the CWR were short some. Don't remember how much but my guess is the other hunter pulled out silver and rewrapped without replacing what they took out. Thanks for that...

Tommybuckets

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2015
Bodymore, Metalland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal, Safari, Garrett infinium, Whites prizm 4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow you've only had that happen once?!! Amazing. Happens a few times a year. Its generally if the delivery truck picks up a box and needs to deliver a box they save the hassle of the back and forth with a roll of tape. I just dump them and move on. Consider yourself fortunate. Don't be complaining too much, the bank might start searching the boxes for you too lol. One of my best boxes got rifled by management right before they left to another job. I didn't say anything- honor among thieves. I got two boxes, one with 120+ silvers ( I don't know how many because I still have some rolls with double enders and enders I saved from it) and the other had been "dropped" . It contained about 80 silvers and none of the damaged rolls had silver since it had been pilfered. Oh well, can't argue with two for one dream boxes. It was such a big score that other hunters on here got a piece of that action all the way up to the next city! I have never seen anything MWR like it before or since. Someone must have literally dumped thousands of silver halves. Its been too log now, I miss the old days.

weighit

Feb 17, 2007
Northern Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX with a Big Foot coil
Gold Bug 2
This was happening to be before I started cutting off the tops of the rolls of the wrapped coins i was getting. This way they could not just send them back out to someone else. With the top off the coins still stay in the paper roll, but are obviously open and searched. Glad they exchanged the box for you.

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This was happening to be before I started cutting off the tops of the rolls of the wrapped coins i was getting. This way they could not just send them back out to someone else. With the top off the coins still stay in the paper roll, but are obviously open and searched. Glad they exchanged the box for you.

My banks that ordered boxes pre-pandemic do not want boxes returned, so this was not possible for me. My credit unions - one opened specifically to use the coin machine for no charge, take my dumped coins. I still feel like I'm using them - so I deposit the coins in my account rather than just cash out. Perhaps they will keep coin machines in the lobby if enough of us deposit our dumped coin value.

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow you've only had that happen once?!! Amazing. Happens a few times a year. Its generally if the delivery truck picks up a box and needs to deliver a box they save the hassle of the back and forth with a roll of tape. I just dump them and move on. Consider yourself fortunate. Don't be complaining too much, the bank might start searching the boxes for you too lol. One of my best boxes got rifled by management right before they left to another job. I didn't say anything- honor among thieves. I got two boxes, one with 120+ silvers ( I don't know how many because I still have some rolls with double enders and enders I saved from it) and the other had been "dropped" . It contained about 80 silvers and none of the damaged rolls had silver since it had been pilfered. Oh well, can't argue with two for one dream boxes. It was such a big score that other hunters on here got a piece of that action all the way up to the next city! I have never seen anything MWR like it before or since. Someone must have literally dumped thousands of silver halves. Its been too log now, I miss the old days.

One of my tellers once handed me a box that was obviously dropped and broken open. I said no problem and opened it to find only 47 rolls. The teller was embarrassed and said she'd look on the floor for loose rolls. Sure enough - she quickly found 3 rolls on the floor, apologizing the whole time.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread