Dime ender in MWR

CJ9

Dec 15, 2018
NYC area
Primary Interest:
Other
Went into bank today and got $30 in dimes, and it came with this nice surprise in this MWR (at least I knew I didn't leave empty handed). Got some quarters, too, but those were a skunk.

dime ender 3-16.jpg

turned out to be a 1964D

other rolls were a skunk.

Upvote 0

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Yea, that "D" or "S" mint mark on the reverse always gives it away if you didn't notice the color change. MM were put on the obv in '68 til today. And to think when I started CRH I use to check each date looking for silver, until you guys ( the seasoned veterans ) convinced me what to look for by way of RIM CHECKING. Now I can rim check a box in under 45min.

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Yea, that "D" or "S" mint mark on the reverse always gives it away if you didn't notice the color change. MM were put on the obv in '68 til today. And to think when I started CRH I use to check each date looking for silver, until you guys ( the seasoned veterans ) convinced me what to look for by way of RIM CHECKING. Now I can rim check a box in under 45min.

Rim checking is not failsafe! Many silver dimes have a dark rim.

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rim checking is not failsafe! Many silver dimes have a dark rim.

Yup. I've found hundred of black rimmed silver dimes on saltwater beaches. Some storage envelopes and albums discolor rims as well. Let's just call it "environmental".

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A silver dime ender is a nice find. I've never found one.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread