JACKPOT!!!!! I almost had a heart attack! Bank hopping bonanza

utah hunter

Jul 30, 2007
Utah county, Utah
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-terra 70, Fisher F75, eyes, brain
I went to my bank today to pick up the $1500 in half dollars I ordered last week. The person I talked to wasn't in, but she had forgot to actually place the order. I left disappointed but had a little time and decided to hit some of the local banks. The first few I was happy with as they had several rolls and the loose halves had 2 40%ers. I then went into a Wells Fargo and the teller told me they had $140 in the vault besides about $5 in loose halves, so I said I would take all they had...

When he came back with the $140 in halves he said they all came from the same client. I said that was interesting but I was thinking it was another CRHer. He then told me the client was a local McDonald's and one "kid" had spent them all. This of course piqued my interest, why would a teenager have $140 in halves? The suspense was killing me when I got out to my car, and I had to look at one of the rolls. I usually wait until I get home to open them with my kids who love hunting through them with me, but I couldn't resist. I opened a roll and a 1964 Kennedy was staring back at me. I tipped the roll so I could look at a few edges and they were all 90% silver. I opened another roll and the same thing happened.

I waited until I got home to open the rest with the kids. I still didn't believe they could all be 90% silver, but I was hoping of course. The final tally was 109 Franklin's and 171 1964 Kennedy's. All $140 face was 90% silver. I am still pinching myself. I have been getting 1 or 2 40%ers from 3 boxes, so this was an unbelievable hoard.

The other about $400 I got was decent also with 2 64's, 6 67's, a Panama coin, and three proofs, 1972-s, 1973-s, and 1987-s. I thought I would never top my beginners luck find in August of a full roll of Franklin's and Walkers at a local bank, but this blows that away and I doubt I will ever top it, but with this hobby you never know......

Attachments

• jackpot 028.JPG
    jackpot 028.JPG
    77.2 KB · Views: 7,174
  • jackpot 029.JPG
    jackpot 029.JPG
    82 KB · Views: 7,141
  • jackpot 040.JPG
    jackpot 040.JPG
    63.2 KB · Views: 7,115
Upvote 0

jewelerdave

Aug 29, 2007
Fort Collins, Colorado
Detector(s) used
I just follow my nose!...where the silver and gold goes!
Minelab 5000, Goldmaster, and a few others
XRF spectrometer, Common sense.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Nice score! and just think, had you not found it...it would have ended up in fed boxes!
Gotta love lots of 90s, Particularly when you score that many.
man, I just did a set of gold rings for $109 face in 90s

You got more than that and didnt even have to make anything for them!

Thats awesome.

patpall22

Jul 4, 2006
Carmel ca/ Big Sur ca
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, whites DFX, XP DEUS, etrac and sandshark
OMG, your post is one of the best stories I've seen on T-net. congradulations and thanks for posting your remarkable finds. you have probably found more silver at that one bank than most CRH'rs have found in a few years. best of luck

Pat Pall

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
McDonalds is a good place to find old coins. Great find and story.

I nominate for the banner.

vegasmtl

Jan 11, 2006
South Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Bullseye II
Awesome!!
Yea, my ticker would have gone out on me!

Congrats on a super find!
According to the Silver melt value calc, that is $1464 in melt value!!!

Very jealous
vegasmtl

Patrick Earl Houston

Feb 21, 2007
Cypress Garden Projects, North Memphis
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE
RESPECT!!! Serious loot!
Reminds me dat time TXTIM ganked about 500 Franklinz from one bank.
This is some balla type $h1t!
TNET is da place for Big Tymerz!!!
I will say you a fool if you don't melt 'em down and cash out, but i'm in the minority on that position around here.

sneak

Oct 24, 2007
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Congrats! That is awesome! :o The stuff that dreams are made of! Maybe the kid has more to spend at that Mcdonalds! I am sure you will keep check at that WF. ;D

wallyblackburn

May 11, 2007
SWEET!!!!

I can just see that conversation:

Dad: What happened to the 50-cent pieces I had in the box under the bed?
Kid: I spent them at Mickey-D's.
Dad: YOU WHAT?!?!?

TxTim

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2007
Texas
Detector(s) used
DFX & SE
wallyblackburn said:
SWEET!!!!

I can just see that conversation:

Dad: What happened to the 50-cent pieces I had in the box under the bed?
Kid: I spent them at Mickey-D's.
Dad: YOU WHAT?!?!?

LOL!!
Yeah - that's how it works around here!
Nice score!!!

OP
OP
utah hunter

utah hunter

Jul 30, 2007
Utah county, Utah
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-terra 70, Fisher F75, eyes, brain
Thanks everyone, I love tnet so we can share these stories and share in each others victories.

I know these probably came from a fathers collection that a son stole, but what can you do? My 13 year old son was having a conscience attack when I told him how they probably were taken by the teen. I told him maybe they were inherited and he spent them not knowing any better. This helped him out ;D

I know that this and others like TXTim's hoard are better finds that deserved banner status, but the banner is apparently reserved for metal detecting finds. I am honored knowing others think it is worthy of that status, so that is enough for me. I can buy me a $20 and $10 gold piece with the profit on this one find.

The Franklins had every date represented except for 1948, 1955, and 1956. I have about 66% of the whole series. Fun fun fun!!!! ;)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread