??? SEVEN BANKS & SCORE (22) !!!

sugarcreek

Mar 28, 2016
S.C. by way of Va,Co,Pa,Fl, etc and YOUR Realtor.
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Fisher F75LTD
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was just trying to talk to my bank manager regarding my home-line-update, just pulling through the drive-thru covid-style, only to find she was at THE OTHER OTHER bank.
To tell the whole story, this bank, and the OTHER bank are merging with the bank(s) I FREQUENT, so I don't even frequent these two banks...

ANYWHO, as I put the truck in drive, I THOUGHT TO ASK THE QUESTION that must be asked!!!!

Bank 1: I asked the drive thru teller "do you have any of those LARGE dollar coins?", making a big OH-KAY-SIGN, and she actually lamented that she had $53 worth and "Would you like them, they don't fit in my drawer", so I handed over 53 bucks.

They were all bound up in a large folded and rubber banded envelope marked "$53-" and I was INTRIGUED. Sure, after exiting the drive-through, I peeked and that set me off on the chase....

Ikes Revealed 53-.jpg

11 of 53 proved to be 40% SILVER.... 11 silver Ikes.jpg
11 silver edges.jpg

I felt like I was having a lucky day after sifting through the large brown envelope.

Bank 2: After dealing with the manager I sought, I thought I should ask the teller up front about BOTH large-dollars AND half-dollars. She said, "I have 5 large dollar coins", and the teller had several halves.
I paid for the large dollars straight away(CLAD), and asked to look at the halves.... She said, "Sure, though I have already looked them over", as is her habit apparently.

Still, a dirty edged 1967 and I paid for that one, and showed her why and how I spotted it....

1 40 from bank 2.jpg

Banks 3-7: A couple other banks had some half dollar rolls and some loosies, so I bought them. Three banks had nothing for me.

I liked the look of the NEATLY wrapped (4), and not so much the sloppy rewrapped (9) another...

2 batches to open.jpg

The neatly wrapped (4) gave up 1965, 1966, and a 1967 Kennedy. (Those other 9 WERE skunks)...

3 40s.jpg

On my journey of collecting all these MANY little-rolled-up-treasure-hunts, I thought, HMMMMMM, "(Bank Number 1) that gave me all those NICE IKES, maybe they might just have some halves TOO?", so I "circled back" through, and asked the kind teller.

She indicated she INDEED, she had (4) rolls, a total of $44. Again, the only "loosie" I got today was the dirty 1967 Kennedy from Bank 2...

THESE FOUR MORE neatly wrapped little white rolls GLOWED in my mind...

promising 4.jpg

At home upon opening these again NEATLY WRAPPED halves HERE is my WONDERFUL HAUL!!! (There were MANY frosted head proof CLAD halves too, which I don't really deal with)...

promising 4 results.jpg

My wonderful day was my best ever random bank run BY FAR (22) SILVER COINS TOTAL....

(2) 71s, (2) 72s, (2) 73s, (2) 74s, (3) 1976 - 40% silver IKES
(1) 1997 S 90%, (2) 1976 40%ers, (4) 1964 Kennedy Halves
1965, 1966, (2) 1967s - 40% silver Kennedy's

Total Score 7 banks.jpg

I think the COVID-RIOT has folks wrapping coins, converting coins to cash is all I can figure! :icon_scratch:

Upvote 0

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Congrats on the BIG HAUL. Right place at the right time. I'm sure you'll find a taker for the clads. CONGRATS again.

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
It's too bad that so many PROOF SETS had to be broken & separated.

FormerTeller

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Clad proofs can often be sold on Craigslist or at a coin show or even your LCS for a (small) profit.

A word of advice - never ask to look through halves or large dollars. Always buy them all. Looking through them tips off the teller to what’s worth money; next time you won’t find any!

Nice score on the silver Ike’s

FormerTeller

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
When I set up at coin shows, I put these in a bowl and sell them for 75 cents each. Usually sell a roll or two.

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used to use them to hold down the paper bills when leaving a tip at an outside table - where a breeze could blow away paper bills and an empty beer glass would leave them wet.

I sold 285 of them last summer on ebay. After shipping and fees, got almost 0.70 each.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Only Charter Members can offer to sell.

LooseChange

Sep 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Only Charter Members can offer to sell.

So, you deleted the post where I suggested that OP spend them, but left the original offer to sell/trade (and, left at least one other post that quoted the original offer to sell/trade). What's the logic?

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I weigh my dime rolls, can tell very easy if over or short. One box was 12 coins short in 11 rolls. I'm doing this weighing step if I know I'm going to reroll.

thurmownator

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
Clad proofs can often be sold on Craigslist or at a coin show or even your LCS for a (small) profit.

A word of advice - never ask to look through halves or large dollars. Always buy them all. Looking through them tips off the teller to what?€™s worth money; next time you won?€™t find any!

Nice score on the silver Ike?€™s

Truer words have never been spoken

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread