BU Half Dollar Dump?

blueberra

Oct 15, 2009
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Deus XP
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This week's (skunk) box was distinctive in that I would estimate that it contained 300 to 400 BU (or AU/BU) halves.

Most of those BU coins were 2000 P&D and 2001 P&D but there were about 40 or so NIFC (2002 and later) as wells as a sprinkling (maybe 30 or so) of earlier clad halves.

My guess is either some collector got fed up with saving these rolls of coins and just dumped them or someone 'found' them and dumped them.

Do any of you know the value of a BU roll of 2000 / 2001 halves? Not the 'list' price but what would a dealer give you for it? I suspect that dealers have little desire to stuff their inventory with these coins.

Upvote 0

jrf30

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
CO, AZ
Detector(s) used
dfx, Ryedale!
the 2000 BUs would go for about $.50 a piece. the 2001s though would go for about half a buck each. That's why they eventually get dumped.

TheMastermind

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
Pennsy
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had a box like that last week. 1990P and 1988D were the only two dates in the box and they all looked BU.

LooseChange

Sep 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Search them for the random errors (cracks, cuds, clips, rotates, strike through, etc) then spend them. It brings joy to the ignorant cashier when they can buy one of those from the till and add it to their coin collection. They will treasure it as much as that 1976 bicentennial half dollar that they got a year ago.

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey guys,for all the coin challenged how about in your initial post use the actual nomenclature instead of shortcuts so we,ll know what you,re talking about.I have no idea what a BU is nor a AU/BU either,serious suggestion,not a criticism.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BU is brilliant uncirculated and AU is about uncirculated. Either way, a modern uncirculated coin is worth face value.

LooseChange

Sep 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey guys,for all the coin challenged how about in your initial post use the actual nomenclature instead of shortcuts so we,ll know what you,re talking about.I have no idea what a BU is nor a AU/BU either,serious suggestion,not a criticism.

My experience has been that when I come across something for the first time that interests me, but that I am unfamiliar with, I spend a little time researching it. For example, for me anyway, googling "BU" could lead to more understanding than if it were substituted in the OP by "brilliant uncirculated".

Not sure if you've seen the beginner's guide, but it defines the acronyms that you mention and has a bunch of other useful information. http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/c...-beginners-guide-coin-roll-hunting-terms.html

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread