Some sort of metal covering one side of 40% halves ????

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
I am going through my latest box, so far 1 90% and 6 40% but 3 of the 40% halves (so far) have some sort of metal coating one side of them. two of them are on the face and I had to scrape off the metal with a knife to see the dates. I have no idea what it might be. It seems to have a pattern to it (best seen of the one coated on the reverse) They also have some sort of orangeish coating under the metal, could it be flux? It could be some sort of lead, not sure

I am going to take them outside and hit them with a propane torch to try to melt off the metal, it won't hurt the value of the junk silver or melt the coin

7beWMA1h.jpg

nf1ES01h.jpg

DSQjoDSh.jpg

Upvote 0

TheWalrus

Oct 7, 2014
Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll bet a dime for a dollar they were either belt buckle or 1970's era wall clock mounted. The pattern on the back is similar to the texture that is on jeweler's mounts to help the adhesion. When I used to cut and mount cabochons for my craft show booth I did a few of those coin mounts using just 2 part epoxy, but some of the guys used low melt silver solder.

OP
OP
Ben Cartwright SASS

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
I think you are correct that it was from a mounting of some type. I heated it and melted it off, discolored but they are only worth silver anyway, It was a good box!

IMG_20210415_090631233a.jpg

OP
OP
Ben Cartwright SASS

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
I ordered 3 boxes for tomorrow to work while I watch the US Open hoping for another good box, nothing but skunks since April

blueberra

Oct 15, 2009
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Deus XP
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I ordered 3 boxes for tomorrow to work while I watch the US Open hoping for another good box, nothing but skunks since April
Ben,
I live near you and am starting to see a marked increase in silver halves over 2020. As things open up, the natural flow of coins will soon (?) return to normal -- whatever that is.

Good luck on the three boxes.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions