Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2015
Bodymore, Metalland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal, Safari, Garrett infinium, Whites prizm 4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Everywhere I go I turn up these rolls with the same initials on them. $100 here, $200 there. Its slightly maddening but funny. The tellers seem to love searching them again. They are often taped shut but some tellers are cutting the tape and just leaving it on there like a tattered bandage. There are thousands of dilapidated beat up rolls lurking around. I usually think way too hard about this stuff and try to see a pattern. Some places where they turn up I am aware that an employee is extremely interested in CWR, other banks the tape is undisturbed. I like the tape because I can tell if they're searched but I can't think of a time I found a good score with tape on it, cut or not. I start to wonder if someone is intentionally trying to dump them in my path and I try to put as many in fresh CWR paper and dump them in their path, pickup banks etc. It reminds me of spy vs spy lol.
My thoughts to find silver are to go where you found silver before even if theres a half hawk in the house. I have one bank where they are sooo nice, they have no interest in coins and tell me they have no collectors but i've never found a silver there. I've searched about $750 worth of cwrs and $120 loose halves. Across the street is a branch rife with snipers and collectors and yet I average a roosie a week there out of $50-60 in dimes. Many branches I've never gotten a 40% half but have sniped silver quarters and dimes out from half hawk tellers often.
So what would you do? I hate leaving less than $500 because instead of shipping them to a sorting facility the banks tend to sit on them until someone comes along. It is easier to dump $200 in halves with some dimes quarters and nickels and it looks more legit. Dumping is not easy for me. Once i dump somewhere I feel as though I can never ask for coins/ halves there again. Many of my dump banks have closed or are too far out of my search area. There's only one machine left a half hour from me. For now the spy vs. spy continues but there must be a better way. I must have seen some of these rolls 3-4 times by now no matter where i take them. Some are my rolls that were bought and marked and dumped back at my pickup bank. I think we both hope the other will tire of the game. While I suspect the other spy doesn't have infinite cash on hand to buy halves he/ she does have a lot more free time and inclination than I do for the longer wait times and less productive hunting the post covid era offers. Perhaps I should put a note in the rolls calling for a truce or addresses so we can work out some mutual dump banks. Ok rant over, someone make a joke.

Upvote 0

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I never thought of the note in a roll possibility. Maybe you are overthinking it. There is a huge amount of randomness to CRH and I'm not convinced that logic and reason apply.

BTW, I never dump at my pickup banks. I have two pickup banks and two credit union accounts with lobby coin machines. Even so, I prefer to dump $300 or less at the credit unions and have the cash deposited to my accounts as a way to say thanks for the free use of the lobby coin machines. Some credit union branches are further away but I'll combine a trip with some other stop - like getting ethanol-free fuel for my toys.

OP
OP
T

Tommybuckets

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2015
Bodymore, Metalland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal, Safari, Garrett infinium, Whites prizm 4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don, no one dumps at their pickup banks. At least no one in their right mind. Thats why once I dump somewhere, its a dump bank for me from then on unless something remarkable happens down the line. I'm slow to turn on them. I'll pick up from a bank or at least try 15 or so times over the course of a year or two before I've had it and start dumping. I just crossed that threshold with a bank last visit. Every time I go there are halves. The first and second time I went I got easy silver and i collected a few halves or at least productive coin rolls from each teller. Then the staff changed and I noticed the same teller always has all the halves. I can tell from observation that she collects them from the other tellers. I surmise that the only person who would be interested in volunteering for the extra work of inventorying halves would be a silver bug. This theory is supported by the simultaneous drying up of the halves that were plentiful at first. Since then the other spy guy must have noticed the same thing and has started dumping there. I guess then that the dump banks will align and that teller will be hating halves lol.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I haven't done CRH since about February 2020.

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don, no one dumps at their pickup banks. At least no one in their right mind. Thats why once I dump somewhere, its a dump bank for me from then on unless something remarkable happens down the line. I'm slow to turn on them. I'll pick up from a bank or at least try 15 or so times over the course of a year or two before I've had it and start dumping. I just crossed that threshold with a bank last visit. Every time I go there are halves. The first and second time I went I got easy silver and i collected a few halves or at least productive coin rolls from each teller. Then the staff changed and I noticed the same teller always has all the halves. I can tell from observation that she collects them from the other tellers. I surmise that the only person who would be interested in volunteering for the extra work of inventorying halves would be a silver bug. This theory is supported by the simultaneous drying up of the halves that were plentiful at first. Since then the other spy guy must have noticed the same thing and has started dumping there. I guess then that the dump banks will align and that teller will be hating halves lol.

No one should be dumping at their pickup bank(s) - but it does occasionally happen. Some banks allow it and end up with a mess of re-rolled halves. I discovered this yesterday when I got a call (while out bottle hunting with smokey) that 2 boxes were in at one of my pickup banks. After paying for the boxes, I asked if she (a new teller) had any loose halves. She said "wait a minute" and came out with a handful of rolls - re-rolled in Loomis wrappers and taped closed. She asked "how many do you want? There are several hundred dollars of them...". Suspicious, I asked if these rolls were returned by someone else picking up boxes and she said yes. The previous head teller there made it a condition of ordering that the halves not be returned. BTW, getting a call that requires a bank stop while out digging is a reason for bringing clean clothes and shoes along, or you have to go home first like I did...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread