MY FIRST STANDING LIBERTY!!!

TheJaker

Feb 22, 2020
Primary Interest:
Other
I was gonna wait for a summary of this hunt, but I really can’t wait. I FOUND MY FIRST STANDING LIBERTY QUARTER!!!

image.jpg

image.jpg

Upvote 0

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find Congrats! I remember them in circulation as a kid and those babies were usually worn like yours! My neighbor called them, "Cowboy Quarters" because he said the wings on the Reverse side, when held upside down, looked like chaps worn by a cowboy!

michael NY

Nov 4, 2007
USA
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Coinstrike, F70, Explorer XS, Sovereign XS, Spectrum, IDX PRO.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congradulations I hope you find more.

OP
OP
TheJaker

TheJaker

Feb 22, 2020
Primary Interest:
Other
Good luck! I was really close to saying no to the offer of random coin rolls, but I learned very well to never say no to ANY COINS! Don’t give up!

OP
OP
TheJaker

TheJaker

Feb 22, 2020
Primary Interest:
Other
Wow! I kinda see what ur talking bout!

Shakakka

May 11, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I remember the feeling of my first one! (I've only found two). Congrats! Just like yours, neither of mine have a date.

blueberra

Oct 15, 2009
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Deus XP
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I remember the feeling of my first one! (I've only found two). Congrats! Just like yours, neither of mine have a date.
I worked in a local Mom & Pop store when I was in high school in the late 1960s.
Silver was still circulating then but was quickly being culled and replaced with clad -- nevertheless, I found a large number (well over 100) of SLQs during the four years I worked there. Every single one that had any portion of a readable date was from 1925 on (when the mint recessed the date because it wore off too quickly because it wasn't protected by the rim).
Even with the recessed date, the coins often had barely readable dates.
I did find a type 1 1917D quarter but it is recognizable by its design and mint mark. The date had long since worn off but the devices like the rim and feathers were fairly well defined.

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
got 2 Slicks from my CU manager. custy just wanted face for them---- and the other 13 GW silvers. and I paid face for the horde:happysmiley:

OP
OP
TheJaker

TheJaker

Feb 22, 2020
Primary Interest:
Other
Mine actually had a date! 1927! It was hard and rlly close to being unreadable

ArfieBoy

Silver Member
Aug 11, 2011
N.E. Oregon
Detector(s) used
Compass X-70, Compass X-80, Compass X-90, Compass Judge 2, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations! I have managed to dig up a couple of those myself. Thanks for sharing.

LooseChange

Sep 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yay. I could imagine the thrill.

I've never found one, but I once bought a bag of junk silver from my LCS and 1/3 of that lot was near-slick SLQ.

I paid $6.75x face value for that buy (around 2004/2005 timeframe). I had a friend who had a vending machine business in the same building as my LCS so I bought a sour apple gumball from one of his machines with a SLQ. I figured I would tell him about it and it would encourage him to finally search some coin. He said it wouldn't be worth his time. So, that SLQ made it back to the wild. The rest are still in my stack in SDB - or so I assume. I haven't seen my silver hoard in close to 3 years (nothing in or out of safe deposit box in that whole time).

Elvis

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2007
Lafayette, Georgia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro and Nokta Simplex+
Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats!!!! I have never found one.

GMan00001

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2006
Twin Cities, MN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My bucket list of type coins found from CRH is all coins from roughly the seated liberty time frame forward. Here are what I am missing that I think are at least somewhat possible as they have been found by others on this forum over the years, even if rare.

cents
* flying eagle cent

nickels
* shield nickel

dime
* none - have found at least 1 of each type from seated liberty forward

quarter
* seated liberty quarter
* barber quarter
* standing liberty quarter

half dollar
* seated liberty half dollar

There are a few others on my wish list instead of my bucket list as I see the odds of these as all too low to be really possible and they are:
* 2 cent
* 3 cent silver
* 3 cent nickel
* 20 cent
* seated liberty half dime
* seated liberty dollar
* trade dollar
* anything larger than dollar (eagle, double eagle, etc)

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Any SLQ in any condition, is always a great find date or no date. Congrats

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find I have 1 a 1916 I love it hope you find many more gotta love this hobby.......Tommy

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread