Bins Full of silver dimes. What should i pay?

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last edited:
OP
OP
Ammoman

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nokta Impact, Tesoro Compadre..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome site thank you so much! I book marked it.

If i cherry pick it may be a pretty good deal

LooseChange

Sep 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Quick Question...I will be sifting thru two bins of Mercury dimes tomorrow or Monday. The person is asking 2.10 per dime. Is that a fair price? I can take them all or cherry pick.

Retail for junk silver right now is 23-26x face value. So, 21x is a discount. If they are common, circulated mercs, they are junk silver even though some sellers ask a premium.

Personally, I think right now is a bad time to buy physical metals. Supply is tight and the pandemic has driven up demand for the feel good aspect of holding physical metals. But, if you are determined to buy, this deal is probably as good as you can expect (other than getting it for face value - which is what ppl on this sub-forum prefer -or- digging it for nothing - which you could probably appreciate).

GMan00001

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2006
Twin Cities, MN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ultimately, it really depends on what you intend to do with them.
* If looking to flip them for profit, buy only the ones that you can make money on.
* If buying for your personal collection, buy whatever makes sense for your collection as the price is approximately what mercury dimes seem to sell for on ebay right now in small lots.
* If buying just to acquire silver, you would be paying above melt so this may not be the deal for you.

Regardless of your reason, I would pick out any with significant numismatic value above silver value whether that is due to better dates or better condition.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just Remember Sellers say Prices will Soar ! Buy Now !
Buyers say, Prices will Drop, Better Sell Now !
so it's always a
gamble

coinflation.com

https://www.coinflation.com/

Last edited:

Armstrong

Apr 24, 2020
Jurassic Park, IL
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What they are asking is fair all things considered. If you bought the lot or a few hundred then they should give a discount. Most dealers try to buy 15 percent below spot so they have margin to resell.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
My favorite online vendor that usually beats my LCS is asking over 26x face in minimums of $500 face bags for circ mercs, so... 21x face right now is a swell deal.

jrf30

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
CO, AZ
Detector(s) used
dfx, Ryedale!
I'm buying right now. So I'm looking at prices. I see 23X most often. I get a few people willing to go lower. I am buying at 20X, which is over spot, but most people refuse to sell there.

21X for Mercs is a good deal if you are buying anyway. I doubt you find them cheaper.

thurmownator

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
On 28 April, silver was about $26.2/oz. That means a dime, with 0.0723 (Troy) ounces of silver in it, would be worth $1.89.

2.10 a piece is on the high side. It’s over 11% above melt value. In other words, not a good deal. IMHO

Last edited:

Johnnybravo300

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2016
South of Gunnison, Gold Basin
Detector(s) used
F2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Doesnt matter what spot is, you wont get physical for that anywhere. Spot is paper price and physical is much higher. Two different things.

$2.10 for Mercs is a good deal these days in my opinion.
You sure wont find silver dollars for $21 that's for sure.
I just got 25 Morgans and had to pay $23 each

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions