CWR's vs MWR's

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
My MWR dime boxes have been so SKUNKED lately that I'm going to try to isolate strictly on CWR's and see ( or take the chance ) that the findings might be a little better.
I still contend that the bigger coin vendor processors have machines that can extract Silver at the flick of a switch.
Your thoughts or comments.

Upvote 0

silveraddict

Jan 9, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
My MWR dime boxes have been so SKUNKED lately that I'm going to try to isolate strictly on CWR's and see ( or take the chance ) that the findings might be a little better.
I still contend that the bigger coin vendor processors have machines that can extract Silver at the flick of a switch.
I only search halves.
The way it's been for the last year or two CWR are the only way to find silver.
I was searching 5-6 MWR a week ( now down to 1-2 ) and it VERY abruptly stopped almost 2 years ago.
You can not convince me that Brinks is not pulling out silver.
I am still finding silver in CWR and teller trays.
I also have a bank that sells me the bag off of their coin counter.
I have NEVER been skunked with these bags.
On the boxes I get it's been so long since I found any silver let alone an ender.
The last few years before it stopped I was finding 100-150 silver halves a month
I don't even keep track any more there are so few.
I find more silver dimes in coinstar reject bins than I find silver halves in MWR

Tommybuckets

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2015
Bodymore, Metalland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal, Safari, Garrett infinium, Whites prizm 4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I only search mwrs when cwrs are unavailable or too inconvenient to get. I've bought dime mwrs that were loaded (32 silvers from $50) so it would have been a great box but it proved to be impossible to get the whole thing though I returned and bought every roll they'd sell to no avail. Right now the mwrs are flooded with nifc coins and banks are extremely short on cwrs so its a mute point. Nothing worse than roll after roll of all nifc coins imo. My MO is to get a sample of what is in my particular tellers safe while feeling out the rest of the branch. If they have a lot of coins its an opportunity to see whats available. Last week I got some decent cwrs. I got $20 in dimes in old wrappers and got 3 silvers. i went right back in to get everything else available to find the teller had gone to lunch immediately after waiting on me and the next time I returned there were only mwrs available so I missed any action. Occasionally I find a bank that gets a lot of cwrs but more availability usually means less finds. It seems many businesses like vending machines and laundromats are savvy on silver as well. Things are more dry than ever but I still manage. I got 3 90% and 6 40% rolls of halves otherwise this year has been horrendous. Rare to see solid rolls coming in but it was just my moment- right place right time. Skunky half cwrs abound. It seems many banks have $200-300 that have already been searched.

Tommybuckets

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2015
Bodymore, Metalland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That said I've been seeing less skunk boxes of halves. My last two I got two whole boxes of 1995 halves. Luckily one had a 1964 and 4 40% so I was glad I persevered. i almost dumped them without opening them.

TheMastermind

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
Pennsy
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Boxes of halves and dimes have been VERY skunky for me lately. Very skunky.

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I started doing weekly dimes, 2 boxes per week, along with my usual halves, largely because your posts showed that it was possible to find silver dimes - and that such silver dimes would be 90% silver. But after 57 consecutive skunk boxes, I gave up on MWRs of dimes. I also think the coin servicers can remove silver and perhaps they are doing so regionally.

I've managed to get only 4 boxes of halves ordered in the last 14 months - all skunks.

Sure wish I could buy bags. The manager at one of my credit unions told me she used to sell the bags off the machine and even saw silver herself in the bags. But someone complained about being a few dimes short and even took his complaint to the board of directors when the branch did not give them satisfaction. As a result, no more bag sales.

Tommybuckets

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2015
Bodymore, Metalland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats so lame to complain. I've had bags be over and be under. I know better than to complain. The interest in bags got too heavy and I keep meaning to fill them with clad for the hunters that are constantly scooping me. It used to be the bags would sit undisturbed for a few months until there were $50-250 on them and someone ( hopefully me) would buy them. The teller would dump them, count them and give them. At other branches they just take the bag out of the machine and hand it to me and I pay what they tell me. I know each coin in there cost me $.50 whether its a penny or a quarter or foreign. Se la vie.
Now the bags only ever have $5 or less because people are checking so frequently. I'll call the manager and she'll tell me theres $3.50, we'll laugh and I'll wait a month. When I call back she'll tell me theres $1 and that its been attacked 2-3 times that week and we'll laugh again. A few nice heavy dumps will make me feel better but it'll mess up my chances of buying them in the future. Gotta keep adjusting strategy. Interesting on the skunk boxes. I would venture to guess those are coming to the sorting facility through coinstars and since coinstars filter out silver into the reject tray you're not going to find any silver there. It could be that the facility is filtering the silver as well. Either way I would never put up with that level of skunks. I shop around between loomis, string n sons, the generic unmarked mwr rolls until I'm hitting something. Then I order or buy what I can. MWRs are not my first choice but if its mwrs or nothing I often just buy nothing especially with the nifc 2020-2021s coming on thick. I do buy whatever sometimes just to let the tellers know I'm not going away that easily if they start getting an attitude blowing me off that they don't have coins. I'll even pop the trunk and lay a few $ hundred on them if they tell me they have no coins. If the branch is busy I'll look in and often head somewhere else. I don't have time for long lines. I have a lot of money in these banks that could be better invested so they're going to play my game whether they like it or not. That said I prefer to be where I feel welcome so I skip branches with crappy customer service or make a special dump trip there.

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
I am still doing 2 boxes a week, although on a 4 box skunk streak right now. So far this year I have done 3 bags (last one had only 1 1964) and 10 boxes. and have gotten 9 90% (2 Walkers, 3 Bens, 6 JFKs) and 28 40%
Just enough to keep me interested AND I am looking for a 2013P and 2020 P and both 2019 and 2020's in NIFC also proofs so that is why I keep doing half boxes.

I am going to call my bank that sells bags and ask about a dime bag, I think I will start doing dime bags

OP
OP
Dozer D

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Go for it Ben. My last dime box was on May 1st, only because of financial reason, can't afford to get even one.

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
Got the dime bag, "only" 5 Rosies.

I have money I put aside 4 years ago and still using that, I buy a bag or boxes and then replace the money when dumping them.

OP
OP
Dozer D

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Ben, 5 silvers out of a dime bag I consider a very good bag. Keep trying to get that collection dump via a bag will pay off your efforts. GOOD LUCK on the next bag, let us know.

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thx! Also, you can get dimes in rolls or bags?

A few folks here have been fortunate enough to buy bags but none can be bought in my area (see my post 6). Boxes were available before the so-called "coin shortage".

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread