Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In the past two weeks, my two pickup banks have each used the excuse of "coin shortage" to stop ordering boxes of halves for me. I always played by their rules, never returned halves to the pickup banks, and walked in with cash. So is this just an excuse to stop doing something they'd rather not be doing anyway? I keep large account balances and have my pension direct deposited with one and SS to the other. Should I find other bank(s)? Anybody else getting this line?

It doesn't make sense to me that halves could be in short supply - they don't circulate.

Upvote 0

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My banker told me about 6 weeks ago the shortage was over and I could get whatever I want. I haven't wanted to get anything, however.

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I always thought that the coin shortage was caused by us TH-er's, hoarding everything they find- I know I'm guilty...! :laughing7:

OP
OP
Megalodon

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My banker told me about 6 weeks ago the shortage was over and I could get whatever I want. I haven't wanted to get anything, however.

I suspect they are lying and may lose my account that pays me all of 0%. I'd rather they told the truth which I suspect is that their merger is not working out after cutting staff and doubling the accounts to service. But it worked out great for the CEOs. I'd prefer the truth that they are so slammed that they can't order coins until they can add staff. The two to three tellers left are totally overwhelmed and that is easy to see.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The banker that told me no problem with getting coins had their bank merge this year also. Who knows...

OP
OP
Megalodon

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The banker that told me no problem with getting coins had their bank merge this year also. Who knows...

We may be talking about different branches of the same bank. The branch to branch variation seems greater than the variation between different banks.

weighit

Feb 17, 2007
Northern Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX with a Big Foot coil
Gold Bug 2
Ordered 4 boxes of halves today, they said might not be able to get all 4 as there is a coin shortage again. I said nobody uses or orders halves but me, how can there be a shortage? Will know on Wed if I get my 4 boxes or none at all.

OP
OP
Megalodon

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ordered 4 boxes of halves today, they said might not be able to get all 4 as there is a coin shortage again. I said nobody uses or orders halves but me, how can there be a shortage? Will know on Wed if I get my 4 boxes or none at all.

Good luck and thanks for the response. I suppose there could be a shortage as businesses get busier as they open up more and create a temporary shortage of 1C thru 25C coins. But as you said, there should be no shortage of coins not used in daily commerce.

srcdco

Dec 11, 2006
Western NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab Nox-800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was told 3 weeks ago that the coin shortage has returned in my area as well (western NY - Rochester). I bank at Community Bank and they use Loomis. Loomis told them that there is a shortage and they can't order coin. Each branch will get the same order. I called Loomis and they were very open about it, saying that there are "patches of shortages, but it isn't nationwide". They also said that this shortage should be relatively short lived.
In talking to the branch manager, we surmise that the real problem is not the shortage of coins, but more likely a shortage of workers to process coin. Just about every business is advertising for workers. At this point, I will refrain from commenting on why people don't want to work to keep this from becoming a political conversation.

Scott

blueberra

Oct 15, 2009
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Deus XP
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
In the past two weeks, my two pickup banks have each used the excuse of "coin shortage" to stop ordering boxes of halves for me. I always played by their rules, never returned halves to the pickup banks, and walked in with cash. So is this just an excuse to stop doing something they'd rather not be doing anyway? I keep large account balances and have my pension direct deposited with one and SS to the other. Should I find other bank(s)? Anybody else getting this line?

It doesn't make sense to me that halves could be in short supply - they don't circulate.
My pickup bank has FINALLY (last week) fully opened. Since early June 2020, it has been 'open' but via appointment only; nevertheless, I have always been able to get my weekly box of halves since that time.
Coincidentally (?), Mass. governor Charlie Baker has also lifted the mask mandate starting Memorial Day weekend, so I expect that those coin machines in the bank lobbies will start to be fed at a much higher rate -- maybe not as high as pre-COVID, but it'll get there.

Avago

Jun 26, 2014
The 2nd State
Primary Interest:
Other
In talking to the branch manager, we surmise that the real problem is not the shortage of coins, but more likely a shortage of workers to process coin. Just about every business is advertising for workers.

This. That's what I jumped in to say. "Coin shortage" is just an easy way for the bank to explain any sort of disruption in the supply chain, whether it be actual coin or the labor to move it. Like Scott, I suspect the issue is the latter.

I have not yet moved back in to hunting after a complete hiatus since last March but was hoping to pick back up in a month or so. I guess I'll also find out at that point.

Tommybuckets

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2015
Bodymore, Metalland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal, Safari, Garrett infinium, Whites prizm 4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My pickup bank said theres definitely a shortage of dimes but they couldn't speak to the halves. They're going to order two boxes for me and see what happens. I was sad to see two boxes of almost all nifc 1995s last week. This happens once in a while where they must have a massive quantity of halves on reserve that they dump into circulation. I was lucky to get a 90% and a few 40% mixed in. It would have been a decent box if it wasn't diluted with the 95s but getting something beats getting nothing. Its been reaaaally slow with the exception of a few lucky snags being in the right place right time.

weighit

Feb 17, 2007
Northern Arizona
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug 2
Got the call today, good news, bad news. Good is I got 6 boxes of halves in and no problem getting them, bad news no staff at the branch, so they are closed today. And maybe tomorrow and will call me if they are able to open.....RATS

Zomotion

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2013
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, coinmaster Gt Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've heard this now for about 2 weeks in WA state. I only order halves but the tellers and mangers keep cwr dimes for me. They can't get enough boxes in to keep up with the demand for businesses so they've been keeping everything they get in just for them

weighit

Feb 17, 2007
Northern Arizona
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug 2
Well I was able to wait in line for what seemed to be close to an hour as the branch was operating with only one teller, but picked up my 6 boxes. Was well worth the wait, got 5 90% 1964 halves and 22 40%. So I'm happy I waited. Hope everyone else having a difficult time getting coins can have good luck finding silver.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread