Dime bag or quarter bag

silveraddict

Jan 9, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
One of my CU will sell me as many bags off of their coin machine as I want.
I have only hunted halves for the last 10 years.
They charge for the use of there coin machine and I have never been skunked on the half bag.
I'm pretty sure there are no dumps into this machine.
I only search for silver.
I'm thinking of trying bags of other denominations..
Do you think I would find more silver with dimes or quarters.
If I can work things out with my main bank Wells Fargo to take bags instead of having to roll everything I'll probably start searching bags on a regular basis.
My CU contact says that they pull off multiple bags of quarters, dimes & nickels per week.
Sometimes everyday.
The reason I have not before is that I do not want to have to roll them.

Upvote 0

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have accounts at two credit unions and neither charge for the use of their coin machines for account holders. I only use those machines to dump coins because they will not sell bags. If they would sell me bags, I would not bother with boxes. If one would sell me bags, I'd use the other - or another branch, to dump. As for dimes v quarters, try both. The conventional CRH wisdom is that silver is more common among dimes, but IMO, this is an opportunity, rare today, to get both. What would make this opportunity even better would be if you could find a bank or credit union with a coin machine that is free to use for account holders, open an account, and dump there. One of my credit unions uses free coinstars that shunt silver directly into the reject tray. If you could find that situation, you could even take a bag directly to that coinstar and let it cull out your silver.

If this most recent coin shortage is real, your bank may be happy to take your dump bags, unrolled.

Last edited:

GMan00001

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2006
Twin Cities, MN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do you think I would find more silver with dimes or quarters.

Although my stats are from 2007 to 2014, I don't think the relative find rate for dimes and quarters has changed all that much.

When I added up all my searches for dimes/quarters for those years, here is what I came up with.

Dimes searched - 2305306 ($230,530.60)
Silver dimes found - 1432 ($143.20)

Quarters searched - 460117 ($115,029.25)
Silver quarters found - 74 ($18.50)

Based on those numbers, I found
1 silver dime for every ~1610 dimes searched (1 per every $161)
1 silver quarter for every ~6218 quarters searched (1 per every $1554.50)

Quarters have 2.5 times as much silver in them, so you have to multiply the dime rate by 2.5 to get comparable silver weight numbers.
From my stats, I would get 1 quarters weight in silver for every $402.50 in dimes searched.

As such I would predict you should find ~3.86 times more silver in dimes for the same face value searched. The downside with searching dimes is more coins to search and more work rolling.

galenrog

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2006
The primary reason that dimes are more productive than quarters for silver is that quarters are more heavily circulated, thus looked at more than dimes.

I look at both. Because I search primarily for errors and varieties, I consider silver a bonus.

Time for more coffee.

CJ9

Dec 15, 2018
NYC area
Primary Interest:
Other
Like others have said here, the better odds are with dimes, but with a bag of quarters you may get lucky and get a collection dump. Quarters are also easier to dump as you can more easily spend them - for example, you can go into a coffee shop and pay them $4 in quarters (although I don't think they would like getting $4 in dimes or nickels though).

OP
OP
silveraddict

silveraddict

Jan 9, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks for all the comments.
Here is my plan
I went to my CU today. They said that they will sell me all the bags I want to buy.
However, they want them back rolled.
I was trying to avoid this.
SO, I am going to open a small business account at BOFA with the Hope that I can deposit full bags into this account.
I do have a ligitamate coin business with business license and resale license and tax return proof of this.
There are a lot of BOFA branches around me.
Some I will drop off bags at and some I will buy quarter and dime boxes from to take back to my CU.
I hope this will work as it will give me the chance to search many bags and not have to roll the coins.
With this plan EVERYONE is happy.

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That sounds like a good plan - IF BofA takes the bags. I would be inclined to verify that before opening an account. I opened an M&T account because I knew some distant branches would order boxes for me. Then the convenient, local branch said no...

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re-rolling dimes can be a pain if you have to use XL work gloves and your fingers are big enough to hit two to three letters or numbers at once on your smart phone (stylus necessary). I agree that quarters have lower success, but they are much easier to roll.

Looking forward to hearing of your success with bags.

OP
OP
silveraddict

silveraddict

Jan 9, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
My first dime bag netted me 10 silver Rosies.
Am going to do a quarter bag tonight. 20210522_163328.jpg

Tommybuckets

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2015
Bodymore, Metalland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal, Safari, Garrett infinium, Whites prizm 4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow how far my dime stats have fallen recently. I am having no success recently but my ratio used to be right there 1 silver per $160 searched was dead on. I search cwrs and a few mwrs but now there is a definite shortage of cwr dimes. Bags are great but unavailable for most.

OP
OP
silveraddict

silveraddict

Jan 9, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
Quarter bag 0 silver
If I want a skunk I will stick with half boxes
I think I will stick with dimes
And maybe try a nickel bag

baddbluff

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2011
vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dude you should look for West Point quarters!
I average about 2/box in quarter boxes. If you can dump in bags at BofA, search your quarter bags for them but get some boxes too, because you sometimes get lucky & score a new box of 2019s or 2020s ... I pulled over 60 Ws from a new box. They sell all day long on eBay for $10+. I just mail them with a stamp in a thank you card from the dollar store (I get 8 cards for $1) - the shipping is super cheap. I would have to find 10 silver dimes in a box (which I never have) to equal the value of 2 Ws. The silver in the quarter boxes was always a bonus, but never what I was really looking for. I have found over 400 W quarters! When the new issues came out, I could sometimes get 20-25$/coin, and the 2019 AMPs still sell for about $30. I’ve bought/upgraded several of my Morgan dollars with the proceeds, and hope to spend $2500-3000 on a nice 1889 cc by the end of the year. Definitely don’t miss out on these if you are already searching the quarters anyway. I used to do exclusively halves, now I do only quarters because they are so lucrative.
Happy hunting!

FormerTeller

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
I was going to echo BadBluffs comments. If you’re only looking for silver, I wouldn’t even bother with a quarter bags, unless your first bag turns out well. However, the W quarters you’re likely to have far more luck with, and realistically they’re far more profitable.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread