Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
I have been having very poor luck with half boxes lately, 8 skunks in a row and before that only 1 or 2 40% to keep it from being a skunk. Also my bank that will sell bags seems now to be a dump bank for some scummy CRHer who is filling up the bag every few weeks. This last bag I got I only got 1 1964.

One of their dimes bags is at 8080 and they are watching it for me. I am going to get it but I was wondering if anyone else is doing dime bags and what their results are?

I figure at this time it can't be worse than the halves

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Ben Cartwright SASS

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
The last bag I got last year had 9 silver dimes, I just picked up the bag and I think I see a silver through the plastic...

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
At least you have coin supply and some options and can assess CRH success. My pickup banks have told me to expect the "coin shortage" to continue for more months. So I asked the manager of one of my credit unions - where I dump coins in their coin machine (free for account holders) about buying bags. Two years ago, she had explained to me that she sold bags for years but had to stop when a CRHer (one of the scummy ones...) complained about a bag a few dimes short. Not receiving satisfaction from the branch, he then went to the board of directors to complain and just like that, one scummy CRHer ruined buying bags for all of us.

I suggested that this new coin shortage is a new environment since the bag sale ban, and proposed to buy bags off the machine and return any number of rolled coins to the bank and deposit them to my account, bypassing the coin machine, and providing them with the coins they need but cannot receive from the coin processors. She thought the idea was interesting and will bring it up at their next manager's meeting.

Meanwhile, there are no coins to be had for CRH in my area. I stopped at a bank with many branches and asked if they would order boxes if I opened an account and did direct deposit. Nope. Looks like 500 miles south of you, the hobby is dying out.

OP
OP
Ben Cartwright SASS

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
WOW

When I picked up the dime bag I checked the number of coins in the half bag and in 2 weeks it is at $380, they said that the CRHer (the scummy one) dropped a dump so if that continues I won't be getting a bag there as normally it takes a year to fill.

So far I have gone through 4,000 dimes and have 4 silver. Of course the ones at the top, the first 2,000 were mine I filled the bag...

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In 2018-19, I searched 57 boxes of dimes and didn't find a single silver. I picked these up along with boxes of halves that were still producing. I think its possible that silver is being removed at the coin sorting center - or they may be getting all their dimes from coinstars that reject silver. Bags will have some dumped coins but also some number of coins from the normal course of coin liquidation, so IMHO, there is a far greater chance of finding silver in a bag. I won't order another box, even if we can someday, but would take a bag - if one was available.

OP
OP
Ben Cartwright SASS

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
Both dimes bags are now empty or almost so, one has 1,000 dimes in it the other replaced the one I bought.

I will buy every one that comes off the machine. My other bank that will sell gets dumps from a coin store but I need to ask him how often he dumps and how many dimes, we are really good friends so he will tell me but since the bank is 1 block from his shop his wife won't drive the 4 miles to the other branch to dump

Tommybuckets

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2015
Bodymore, Metalland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal, Safari, Garrett infinium, Whites prizm 4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I only ever got a few dime or half bags but wouldn't hesitate. I got one with 3 roosies and one with 55 mercs n roosies. My gf actually jumped in and crhed with me on that one n had fun. She found 31 but i was going slow on purpose lol. Since then I haven't made the 80 mile trek to see if there are any bags for sale. The half bag never did fill up in 5+ years of waiting. They seem to be professionals at dodging me. Once it was full with $500 but when I went to buy it there was only $350. I wonder what I missed on that one. Naturally I found nothing since someone had removed the silver ahead of my arrival. They chalked it up to a "machine error" lol. Thats one silver sniping machine of a teller there! The other branch machine never gets above $5 before someone empties it because the tellers are willing to sell whatever is in there if people ask nicely. At another branch thats next to a coin/ jewelry shop the shop owner dumps boxes of halves on the regular but I have sniped coins from the tellers. I used it as a dump bank until the nice teller asked " picking up or dropping off?" I thought she was being silly but then she showed me a few 40% she had set aside so I bought the loose coins and a bag. Despite then having to get rid of the other guys dumps I got a few that had found their way in there.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions