Jan 9, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
I got everything set up.
Opened a business account at BofA so I can now deposit bags of coins
(No rewrapping)
My CU will sell me all the bags I want.
AND the coin machine broke down.
Maybe a month or so before it gets fixed.
So, today I decided to go out banking looking for dimes.
Went to about 15 banks and ended up with $1390.00 in dimes.
32 CWR & 238 MWR
8 rolls that were rerolled (one end folded over)
Started going through those 8 rolls
Some A** HOLE coin hunter is stuffing the rerolled with pennies.
76 pennies in those 8 rolls.
I hope this is not the case in the rest of the CWR
20210611_173639.jpg 20210611_174351.jpg

Upvote 0

CJ9

Dec 15, 2018
NYC area
Primary Interest:
Other
I feel your pain. Has happened to me a number of times over the years - but even worse - a dime on each end and the rest stuffed with pennies. Probably cost me to the tune of $100-150.
The way you can prevent it is to feel (or kind of like squeeze) the roll on the side (not the ends) when you get them handed to you - if the paper gives a little, its dimes, if it is tight, open the roll a bit to see if its pennies. At least 3 times I know of that this has saved me - probably about $100 in the more recent years.

One bank I had dumped at used to open all the dimes and the teller told me that people filled the rolls with pennies.

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I sometimes carry with me a small GRAM pocket SCALE and weigh the rolls right in front of the teller. And CJ9 is also right about feeling a difference in the texture. I've had this happen to me also, but not in such bold outright stupidity. One time I got a whole box of CWRs dimes & 28-rolls were short by one or two, of which one of the rolls was short by about 10 dimes since they were laid in sideways, total shortage was about $5.50.

Last edited:

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i saw this as well. And CJ9 is right about the roll diameter and Dozer also about the weight. Sadly there is no shortage of jerks and crooks.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had foreign coins in half dollar, quarter and dime rolls.

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I had foreign coins in half dollar, quarter and dime rolls.

Sometimes strange coins filter INTO what rolls we are checking. Years ago I found a badly worn Large Copper Cent in a roll of MWR half dollars. Foreign coins DO filter in sometimes. In my dime boxes, I very often find Canadian dimes (even a silver one).

Tommybuckets

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2015
Bodymore, Metalland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal, Safari, Garrett infinium, Whites prizm 4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yup no shortage of people trying to stiff us. I routinely get a penny or two or accept the occasional obviously short roll. Sometimes I feel/ notice theres a penny or two but say nothing. If i felt like it was full of pennies I would decline and show the teller. The other day I got $185 in cwrs. No silver but many of the rolls contained 3-4 extra dimes so i ended up $3 over to use toward short rolls. If I pick a penny out I leave it one short but if its way short I fix it to 113.5 g or as close as I can afford to with what loose dimes I have from over stuffed rolls or coinstar finds. Its just part of the game. I got a $9 quarter roll the other day. Ugh. I leave all foreign coins in situ so the next guy gets something fun. Leave em better than you found them.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread