Spending Halves

weighit

Feb 17, 2007
Northern Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX with a Big Foot coil
Gold Bug 2
Out in the RV traveling for 3 months, and in every town we stay in I have been spending either loose or rolls of halves. The reactions have gone from I don't want those things, to OH WOW, this is great, thanks, got any more? I have kept about $400 worth of rolls set aside just for this trip and overall, having fun spending them anywhere I can. And no, not spending the silver!!

Upvote 0

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most people under 30 think they are funny money. The looks I get are incredible.

CJ9

Dec 15, 2018
NYC area
Primary Interest:
Other
I spend them all the time. Most people think they are cool or say they haven't seen one in a long time. Others have no idea what they are. Like you, I have gone into places and they ask if I have more.
Never had anyone say they won't take it, but that has happened to me with Ikes (just last week, actually)

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
I have spent them for 50 years, biggest complaint in the last ten is that, “they won’t fit in the till” (drawer).

Citiboy289

Aug 9, 2012
North Georgia
Detector(s) used
Various depends on the need at the moment
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I would travel a lot on business. I would always get a bunch of 2 dollar bills from the bank and use them as tip money for baggage handlers ect. Used to get great looks when I handed them to the people

blueberra

Oct 15, 2009
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Deus XP
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
When I would travel a lot on business. I would always get a bunch of 2 dollar bills from the bank and use them as tip money for baggage handlers ect. Used to get great looks when I handed them to the people
My M.O. is whenever I'm in a tipping situation (usually restaurants, but also the barber and similar businesses), I use cash but I specifically supplement the normal tip with Ike dollars and two dollar bills. The Ikes always get a reaction and most of the time the twos do as well.

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My M.O. is whenever I'm in a tipping situation (usually restaurants, but also the barber and similar businesses), I use cash but I specifically supplement the normal tip with Ike dollars and two dollar bills. The Ikes always get a reaction and most of the time the twos do as well.

Same here. We haven't dined at a restaurant indoors since early 2020, but have started outdoor dining where the breeze puts paper bills at flight risk - so an Ike or two is great for holding down the paper money.

OP
OP
W

weighit

Feb 17, 2007
Northern Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX with a Big Foot coil
Gold Bug 2
Yesterday I tipped a fellow for some service he helped me with, 5 twos and 5 Ikes. He was astonished that I would give him such "collectable" money! he said he was never going to spend it....I said good for him, I appreciate the help and was glas i could make his day....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions