Boxes ?

BC1969

Banned
Sep 4, 2013
Somewhere directly above the center of the Earth.
Primary Interest:
Other
I understand that CRH is to each his/her own.
How do folks go through so many boxes of coins ?
I just picked up two rolls of Cents..( even though the wrapper says Pennies)
They are NOT pennies!
Anyways, those two rolls will take me roughly the next 8 hours to examine.
I examine every coin I touch.
I don't look for dates.
Is it a time constraint thing that makes folks just toss aside anything without looking just because there are no known doubled dies and such for that particular year ?

There has to people who look at everything, otherwise no new varieties would ever be found.

Friday night rambling.

Mike.

Upvote 0

weighit

Feb 17, 2007
Northern Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX with a Big Foot coil
Gold Bug 2
Everyone is different in this hobby. Some are looking for specific coins, either deformed miss strikes, off stampings or something special. Some only hunt for silver period, others look for something they find interesting. I only hunt silver, so how long it takes me to examine my rolls or boxes will be much faster than those examining each and every coin. Takes me almost exactly 1 hour for two boxes of halves, the only coin I search. Opening each roll, hunting and then rerolling. Your time may vary but that is what it takes me.

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I look at dates on halves and examine some dates of clads more closely than others, such as 1974-D for double dies.

If you don't have to re-roll, you can save a lot of time. I pour my rejects into some plastic containers that are easy to pour from and into the coinstars that are free for account holders at my two credit unions.

I can't get boxes any longer at my pick-up banks. The excuse is "coin shortage" but that does not make any sense for coins that don't circulate. One bank manager said it is a result of labor shortages and security for the short-handed armored trucks.

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, edge searching is a fast way to go!

Yes it is but doing so will miss some of the darker toned 40% halves. I've seen them with edges that look just like junk clad.

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
I have no problem getting 2 boxes of halves every week

also just checked with my bank that will sell me halves, the dimes are at 9102 (900 to go) and the haves at 768 (1232 to go) they will call me when either fills

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
I don’t have the patience to search for many errors, however…I can search and re-roll $5 worth of dimes in less than ten seconds.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Without a youtube video it didn't happen :tongue3:
When you sit down with $1,500-$2k in cwr dimes you have to be fast if you want to get other things done. Open roll, pour row of dimes into hand, quick visual edge search, and in one final motion slide the dime row right back into the tube.

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
When you sit down with $1,500-$2k in cwr dimes you have to be fast if you want to get other things done. Open roll, pour row of dimes into hand, quick visual edge search, and in one final motion slide the dime row right back into the tube.

I reach into the bank counter bag, grab a handful look and toss in coffee can, later take the cans to a different bank and dump them in a counter

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I go to my old pick-up banks and politely acknowledge getting lied to about a "coin shortage", then leave empty handed to do something else. Having nothing to dump saves a lot of miles on my pickup truck. When it cools down, I'll go back to digging my silver!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions